The Education Forum

Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas on JFK and the Bay of Pigs

Lee Shepherd posted the following on Facebook on October 19, 2019:

Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas, recalling a discussion he and Kennedy had about the Bay of Pigs said, "This episode seared him. He had experienced the extreme power these groups had, these various insidious influences of the CIA and the Pentagon on civilian policy, and I think it raised in his own mind the specter: Can Jack Kennedy, President of the United States, ever be strong enough to really rule these two powerful agencies? I think it had a profound effect... it shook him up."

In the mid 60's I found myself on a Northwest shuttle flight between DC and NYC. A stewardess tapped me on the shoulder and insisted I give up my window seat for Justice Douglas.  I was shocked and said 'no.'  Justice Douglas agreed with me, said a couple of curt words to the stewardess and sat beside me during the flight.  His assistant sat across the aisle, and they worked throughout the flight, so I did not ask him any questions. In retrospect, of course, I wish I had. A very nice and charming man...

Edited by Pamela Brown