The Education Forum

Wouldn't it be nice to have good pictures like these... (Kleins Postal Money Order, shirt, rifle blanket)

Often I find myself spending a lot of time in searching for good pictures of the evidence.

Most of the time pictures are just the terrible WC Exhibit quality...

So, perhaps...., some of you are willing to share good quality pics like these ?

Also, color pictures add a dimension to the object, life in the 1960's wasn't black and white... 

Edited by Jean Paul Ceulemans
2 pictures removed to save attachment space

4 hours ago, Jean Paul Ceulemans said:

Often I find myself spending a lot of time in searching for good pictures of the evidence.

So, perhaps...., some of you are willing to share good quality pics like these ?

Also, color pictures add a dimension to the object, life in the 1960's wasn't black and white... 

PMO1.jpg

blanket.jpg

shirt.jpg

You might be able to request new photographs of WC Exhibits from the NARA Special Access Branch if you have a good reason. I say "might" because I got NARA to formally agree to take new public catalog photos of the revolver, CE143, because the current photos don't show all the DPD initials on the gun - but that was 9+ months ago and still no photos. 

I follow up every couple of months, and I'm sure they're busy as hell, but 9 months is a while. Then again, my last document reproduction order took 4 months so who knows. I'm hoping they'll take the photos before the 60th.

If you ever happen to find or obtain a high-resolution color photograph of Holmes Exhibit 3-A let me know. 

8 hours ago, Jean Paul Ceulemans said:

PMO1.jpg

blanket.jpg

shirt.jpg

Great photos. 

Is that LHO's handwriting? 

5 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

You might be able to request new photographs of WC Exhibits from the NARA Special Access Branch if you have a good reason. I say "might" because I got NARA to formally agree to take new public catalog photos of the revolver, CE143, because the current photos don't show all the DPD initials on the gun - but that was 9+ months ago and still no photos. 

I follow up every couple of months, and I'm sure they're busy as hell, but 9 months is a while. Then again, my last document reproduction order took 4 months so who knows. I'm hoping they'll take the photos before the 60th.

If you ever happen to find or obtain a high-resolution color photograph of Holmes Exhibit 3-A let me know. 

A number of years back I nagged the heck out of the archives about the photo of the button-down shirt recovered from Oswald's rooming house. I thought it might be the reddish shirt Oswald said he wore to work on the day of the shooting, but couldn't prove as much because all the published versions of the photo were in black and white, and all the descriptions said the shirt was brown or light brown. At first they told me the original exhibit photos were in color and only printed in black and white in the WC volumes. So I asked for a copy of the original exhibit photo, only to be told the original exhibit photos were all stored in the JFK Library. I then contacted the JFK Library, and they told me I'd been lied to and that they had none of the WC's exhibit photos. So I took this back to the archives and contacted someone different. This person then told me there were no color photos of this shirt in the archives, and that if I wanted one I would have to write up a proposal as to why color photos should be taken. So I wrote up a proposal. A few weeks later as I recall I received a response. I was told that my proposal had been approved but was told they would not take the photos for public release, and would only take them for my personal use--at a price. I agreed. A few weeks later they got back to me and told me what that price would be. I don't recall his name but I was now dealing with the top guy in the JFK records division. He then told me he was going on vacation and that he would get back to me upon his return from vacation. A month or so passed. I then re-contacted him and asked if he was in fact back from his vacation, and if he could take the photos as promised. He said he had returned and apologized for forgetting about me. I then called and arranged a payment. A few weeks passed. But, sure enough, a Cd-Rom came with the photos I requested, with an explanation that these photos belonged to me and that I could do with them as I wished. The time elapsed from my first contact till the arrival of these photos? As I recall, four months. 

I write this then to stress that you have to keep pushing, and even then have a bit of luck. 

Edited by Pat Speer