The Education Forum

Has anyone researched the ( Senator Edward V) Long Committee?

Senator Edward V Long, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Administrative Practices looked into whether congressional phone lines were being tapped by private investigators or other government agencies.  This was in 1966.  Did they have hearings or issue a report?

See - https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP75-00149R000700330016-5.pdf

Also - RIF #104-10122-10344

The Committee's Chief Counsel was Bernard Fensterwald. 

According to Wikipedia Long died rather mysteriously. "On November 6, 1972, Long died unexpectedly at the age of 64. Five months later, his personal secretary told prosecutors in Clarksville, Missouri, that he had told her that he believed that he had been poisoned by candy which had been sent to him in the mail, although no box of candy was found later in the home, which had been broken into two days after his death. No charges were ever filed arising from Long's death. Long's widow filed a $3.25 million lawsuit against the secretary on the same day of the report to police." 

Secretary Says Poison May Have Killed Long— Tells Inquiry of Candy That Came in Mail", UPI report in Los Angeles Times, April 21, 1973, p. I-2

Joe

Edited by Joseph Backes
to correct middle initial

• Joseph Backes changed the title to Has anyone researched the ( Senator Edward V) Long Committee?

Long was a big critic of J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI. I remember a Life Magazine article that preceded his death that focused upon this aspect.

It sounds strange but about two weeks ago I thought about Long and his feud with the FBI. 

Edited by Douglas Caddy