The Education Forum

Bart Kamp's Lancer presentation

2 hours ago, Greg Doudna said:
13 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

You need to get permission from the authors (regardless of forum rules) because they are the copyright holders.

2 hours ago, Greg Doudna said:

That simply is not automatically correct, Sandy, and not obviously correct in the quotations of David, accurate with citation and attribution.

Do you not know the legal meaning and provision for “fair use” quotations from copyrighted works—brief quotations for purposes of research and discussion—which do not legally require permission of the copyright holder (creator)? 

You are taking my statement out of context.

DVP had said that his copying of material was not a problem before some date in 2019 because there was no forum rule requiring permission at the time. And I replied that it is the writer of the material one needs to get permission from, not the forum, because they are the copyright holders.

I didn't delve into fair use doctrine.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Copyright-Info.png

I'm pretty sure that registering a copyright is just a way of proving that you created the work. It would be useful for proving a drawing is yours. Or personal writings. But something like a published magazine article or book wouldn't require registration because it would be easy to prove you are the author.

7 hours ago, Jean Ceulemans said:

As long as nobody complains... I'd simply let it be...

Indeed. Copyright infringement happens all the time in this day and age. But most people don't care because they don't lose anything (like money) over most infringements.

It's when you copy something to a large, popular site that copyright owners pay real attention.

22 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I'm not the one bringing it up over and over. It is others who claim I'm wrong who keep bringing it up.

Why did you just bring it up?

Because this has turned into a pointless back and forth and it needs to stop. David Von Pein is a member in good standing of this forum, whether you like it or not. Nobody asked to hear what you "would have done" to him if you were a moderator at the time.