The Education Forum

Zapruder frame 317

On 5/13/2024 at 12:02 PM, Kevin Balch said:

How fast was the presidential limo traveling just before it braked to a complete stop?

How far behind the presidential limo was the Secret Service follow up car at the time the presidential limo braked to a complete stop?

Luis Alvarez inferred from the Z-film a minimum presidential limo speed of 8 miles per hour circa frame 310. My understanding is that the secret service followup car tried to maintain a separation distance of 5 feet behind the presidential limo. That is certainly evident from the Hughes film of the motorcade proceeding up Houston Street.

Does anyone believe differently, and what are your reasons?

The followup car starts about 6ft behind the limo in the Nix film. But as soon as Hill runs past the hood and toward the limo he is in front of the follow up. That is when space starts to open between the follow up car, Hill and the limo. Hill is running and stumbling at the limo for the next 3 seconds. Kinney must have allowed some space so he wouldn't run over hill if he fell.   Then we see in the Bell film that the follow up car is a few car lengths behind the limo.
 So a limo stop, which is said to have happened right after the headshot, would have happened when some distance had opened up between the cars. I don't know how much though.
On this subject I can't trust the Nix or Z film as I think a limo extreme slowing or momentary stop occurred. I can not say with absolute sureness so I don't proclaim it stopped. But I can't fathom all 4 bike cops and others like Moorman standing  just a few feet away being so completely wrong about 8mph vs a sudden slowing or stopping. Many witnesses said 'It stopped or almost stopped' That consistency in their reports tell me it must have gone extremely slow for them to phrase it like that.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic