The Education Forum

Oak Cliff Time Trials

I believe Oswald removed the spent shell casings from his revolver as he was making his way to the corner of Tenth and Patton in order to have a fully loaded revolver in case another cop was around the corner.

Remember, Dallas Sheriff's Deputy Unit #109 reported that he was very nearby once news of the Tippit shooting went out over the police airwaves.  If 109 was nearby AFTERWARDS, he could have been there shortly before.  Point being, I believe Oswald saw 109, reversed direction and soon afterwards encountered Tippit.  These two "encounters" (if you will) would definitely give Oswald concern to proceed further without a loaded weapon.

If you're Oswald, once you've seen two patrol cars in a matter of two minutes, you'll want to be sure your weapon is fully loaded before turning the next corner.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, who is Dallas Sheriff's Deputy Unit #109? (Name of officer.)

Do you have a link to a transcript of the Sheriff's Department radio on that? I don't find anything about that on the Dallas Police radio, and I'm wondering where you are getting that. 

3 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

Remember, Dallas Sheriff's Deputy Unit #109 reported that he was very nearby once news of the Tippit shooting went out over the police airwaves. 

On 6/12/2024 at 12:47 PM, Bill Brown said:

The Dallas County Sheriff's Department (no doubt monitoring the city police radio) put out the same information over their airwaves.  Shortly after Bowley's report, a Sheriff's Deputy (unit 109) reported to his dispatcher that he was at the intersection of Tenth and Jefferson, just one block east of the bus stop located at Marsalis and Jefferson; the same stop which for Oswald's transfer was good.

CE705 has Sheriff Decker's transcript, a fragmentary document with few messages. The sheriff's dispatcher's exchange with #109 reflects the enigmatic DPD channel 1 dispatch "Attention. Signal 19, police officer, 510 East Jefferson" [Kimbrough/Shearer #914]. The following transcript includes an interpolation from CE705 (in bold).

898. CITIZEN: Hello, police operator?
899. DIS: Go ahead. Go ahead, citizen using the police radio.
900. CITIZEN: There's been a shooting out here.
901. DIS: Where's it at?
902. DIS: The citizen using the police radio...
903. CITIZEN: Tenth Street.
904. DIS: What location on Tenth Street?
905. CITIZEN: Between Marsalis and Beckley. It's a police officer. Somebody shot him. What--what's...404 Tenth Street.
906. DIS: Can you hear me?
907. (Man and woman's voice in background)
908. DIS: 78.
909. CITIZEN: It's a police car, number 10.
910. DIS: 78.
911. DIS: (?) 78.
912. CITIZEN: Got that?
913. CITIZEN: Hello, police operator. Did you get that? (Some other unknown voice came in with "a police officer, 510 E. Jefferson")
914. DIS: Attention. Signal 19, police officer, 510 East Jefferson.

Without the interpolated "a police officer, 510 E. Jefferson" the transcript's Signal 19 direction to an address that had not been received makes no sense at all. Even so, why dispatch to 510 East Jefferson immediately after Bowley transmitted the correct address?

And why 510 E. Jefferson, the location of a used car lot? Answer -- it was close to the library where Decker's men (deputies & constables) gathered in force long before DPD's C.T. Walker showed up.

It was a trap, of course, almost sprung on terrified library employee Adrian Hamby.

Got it on CE 705 re the Sheriff’s Dept radio transcript Michael, thanks on that. 

Question remains, if you or Bill can answer, who is car #109? I am wondering if that could be Bill Courson, who according to Sneed says he was in the area and radioed in about that time, which would be a compatible match. He says he was in a marked patrol car even though in plain clothes, and radioed in at around Jefferson, followed by going to the library. It sounds like it could be him?

Also, in reading the Sheriffs Dept transcript I was startled to see this, in light of Tippit’s patrol car being Dallas Police 10. Is the “10” below a different patrol car, Sheriff’s Dept 10, that same patrol car number as Tippit being coincidence? 

- - - START transcript excerpts - - -

12:53 PM.

36–go ahead.

Ask 10 where he would like me to go?

10?

36–10 is evidently out of his car 36–.

(…)

(after 1:00)

36–Have you heard anything from 10 or Sts 1?

Negative.

- - - END transcript excerpts - - -

I don't know the identity of #109, but check out DPD Lt. Elmo Cunningham's account of the "Battle of the Little Big Horn" in No More Silence:

While en route with Officers Toney, Buhk, and Taylor, we received word that an officer had been shot in Oak Cliff. As a result, we went straight to that scene. When we arrived in Oak Cliff, we received a report that a man had been seen running into the Oak Cliff Library about three blocks from where we were then located. When we got there, there must have been in the neighborhood of 30 to 40 armed people there, most of them being civilians, though some could have been deputies or constables in plain clothes. I thought we were going to have another Battle of the Little Big Horn right there. I don’t know where they all came from! [p. 264]

This is supported by DPD Officer Hutson's WC testimony, although an understatement: "There were several officers at the location, including some constables from the constable's office in Oak Cliff at Beckley and 12th..." [7H29]

DPD Detective Buhk's report says, "We converged on that location [the library] and there were Secret Service men and other patrol and CID officers present when all the people were ordered out of the building."

Compare the preceding to this from McBride's Into the Nightmare: "Then what seemed to Hamby like twenty to thirty policemen converged on him with weapons drawn."  [p. 464]

The last clinches the nature of the sheriff's involvement. It was an ambush.

Edited by Michael Kalin

12 hours ago, Michael Kalin said:

CE705 has Sheriff Decker's transcript, a fragmentary document with few messages. The sheriff's dispatcher's exchange with #109 reflects the enigmatic DPD channel 1 dispatch "Attention. Signal 19, police officer, 510 East Jefferson" [Kimbrough/Shearer #914]. The following transcript includes an interpolation from CE705 (in bold).

898. CITIZEN: Hello, police operator?
899. DIS: Go ahead. Go ahead, citizen using the police radio.
900. CITIZEN: There's been a shooting out here.
901. DIS: Where's it at?
902. DIS: The citizen using the police radio...
903. CITIZEN: Tenth Street.
904. DIS: What location on Tenth Street?
905. CITIZEN: Between Marsalis and Beckley. It's a police officer. Somebody shot him. What--what's...404 Tenth Street.
906. DIS: Can you hear me?
907. (Man and woman's voice in background)
908. DIS: 78.
909. CITIZEN: It's a police car, number 10.
910. DIS: 78.
911. DIS: (?) 78.
912. CITIZEN: Got that?
913. CITIZEN: Hello, police operator. Did you get that? (Some other unknown voice came in with "a police officer, 510 E. Jefferson")
914. DIS: Attention. Signal 19, police officer, 510 East Jefferson.

Without the interpolated "a police officer, 510 E. Jefferson" the transcript's Signal 19 direction to an address that had not been received makes no sense at all. Even so, why dispatch to 510 East Jefferson immediately after Bowley transmitted the correct address?

And why 510 E. Jefferson, the location of a used car lot? Answer -- it was close to the library where Decker's men (deputies & constables) gathered in force long before DPD's C.T. Walker showed up.

It was a trap, of course, almost sprung on terrified library employee Adrian Hamby.

500 E. Jefferson was the location of the Johnny Reynolds Motor Company.  L.J. Lewis called the police from there after hearing the shots.

When you read the transcripts, you see that there was confusion over the correct address.  One address given was 501 E. Tenth (Mary Wright's address, she called the police immediately after hearing the shots).

Edited by Bill Brown

Nonsense is never complete as long as you continue to post.

Lewis at 500 E. Jefferson called the police immediately after hearing the shots, not "after seeing a man run down Patton with a gun." He reported a shooting "upon hearing the three or four gunshots coming from the direction of Tenth and Patton... ." Bowley's subsequent radio call confirmed the location of the shots with greater specificity. What dispatcher would thereupon send squads to 510 E. Jefferson?

You also ignore the unknown voice on the radio tape that furnished the 510 E. Jefferson address. Whose was it?

There's a possible way to save face. Produce the telephone call sheet. We'll read it together.

As usual, when the discussion reaches this subject of major importance the line goes dead.

There is no explanation for researchers' alacrity of playing silly buggers with the Twelve Red Herrings -- usually augmented by Red Herring Thirteen, Tatum, the silliest bugger of them all -- and dummying up about critical library matters.

"Fools", said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

On 7/6/2024 at 7:06 PM, Bill Brown said:

500 E. Jefferson was the location of the Johnny Reynolds Motor Company.  L.J. Lewis called the police from there after hearing the shots.

When you read the transcripts, you see that there was confusion over the correct address.  One address given was 501 E. Tenth (Mary Wright's address, she called the police immediately after hearing the shots).

Devious & cowardly, pulling a Myers by "rendering" your above post less than an hour after my response.

Here's the complete original content:

Complete nonsense.

510 E. Jefferson was the location of the Johnny Reynolds Motor Company.  L.J. Lewis called the police from there after seeing a man run down Patton with a gun.

The police operator got that address from Lewis.

My response:

Nonsense is never complete as long as you continue to post.

Lewis at 500 E. Jefferson called the police immediately after hearing the shots, not "after seeing a man run down Patton with a gun." He reported a shooting "upon hearing the three or four gunshots coming from the direction of Tenth and Patton..." Bowley's subsequent radio call confirmed the location of the shots with greater specificity. What dispatcher would thereupon send squads to 510 E. Jefferson?

You also ignore the unknown voice on the radio tape that furnished the 510 E. Jefferson address. Whose was it?

There's a possible way to save face. Produce the telephone call sheet. We'll read it together.

The nonsense may not be complete but this restores the record of the discussion.

I'm interested in your claim, regarding law enforcement personnel gathering around the area of the library ahead of time.  Care to elaborate further?  Make a case for it.

17 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

I'm interested in your claim, regarding law enforcement personnel gathering around the area of the library ahead of time.  Care to elaborate further?  Make a case for it.

I already did.