The Education Forum

Wow, New York Times Calls on Biden to Drop Out of Race After His Disastrous, Troubling Debate Performance

Michael Griffith

I never thought I would see the day when the New York Times would admit a major problem with a liberal Democratic president, but yesterday, following Biden's horrendous and troubling debate performance on Thursday night, the New York Times editorial board called on Biden to drop out of the race and to let another Democrat run against Trump:

NYT calls on Joe Biden to drop out of presidential race with Trump (usatoday.com)

Many other liberal voices have now begun calling on Biden to drop out of the race after his disastrous debate performance.

For the first time, millions of Americans who were not aware of Biden's seriously diminished capacity, or who did not believe the reports of his cognitive decline, saw with their own eyes that the man is no longer mentally equipped to be president. They saw his many blank stares, his freezing episodes, his mumbling, his confusion and disorientation, etc., etc.

Democratic sources say that Jill Biden is the driving force behind her husband's decision to run for reelection, and that she will have to be persuaded that her husband needs to withdraw from the race if this is to happen.

Edited by Michael Griffith

11 hours ago, John Cotter said:

Any updates on this? Time is of the essence now for the Democrats.

The White House is in full Orwellian denial mode, claiming that Biden didn't do that badly in the debate and that he merely had a cold. 

As I mentioned in the OP, Democratic sources report that Jill Biden was the driving force behind her husband's decision to run again, and that she is the one who will have to be persuaded to get him to drop out of the race. I don't know if I believe that, but if it's true, I hope the First Lady is thinking about the big picture. If he stays in the race and manages to win, his cognitive decline will only get worse.

I agree with Paul Krugman, Nicholas Kristof, Rosenthal, and the New York Times editorial staff on this one, as some of us have discussed on other threads.

The Democrats appear to be divided about 50-50 on this issue of replacing Biden on the 2024 ticket.

Unlike Trump's MAGA cult in the U.S., the Democratic Party isn't a monolithic cult.   We often disagree.

About half of us are "progressives" who didn't vote for Biden in the 2020 Democratic primaries, and some of us are very angry about Biden's collusion in Netanyahu's Gaza genocide.  (Incidentally, both Trump and RFK, Jr. have endorsed the Gaza genocide.  See Edward Curtin's, Epistle to RFK, Jr. on this board.)

Of course, even a yellow dog would be a better POTUS than Donald Trump and his Project 2025 Big Oil plutocrats, but Biden is too old for the job, IMO.

As a progressive, I'm angry that Biden and his inner circle have been dissembling about his functionality, and now refusing to acknowledge the problem.

It looks like the tail is wagging the dog - Jill Biden effectively dictating  to the Democratic Party who its presidential candidate should be. Is there no mechanism within the party for resolving this mess?