The Education Forum

Biography: Christopher Barnard

I have taught music at KS3, 4 and 5 for the last fifteen years and, in my current post, am also advising primary colleagues how to make the best of their resources and talents to teach music at KS2. My first musical love was the brass band but I play many instruments and have a truly diverse approach to music.

I have recently become an AST in music and ICT across the curriculum.

I am also a Trustee of the National School Band Association (www.nsba.org.uk)

I use ICT a lot in my music teaching and have taught ICT as a discreet subject also. I am a keen advocate of whiteboard technology in the classroom and have been asked by my Headteacher to promote its use amongst other staff in school.

I have always composed and see this as a great asset in teaching music. We are charged with teaching composition so the kids must see us as composers in our own right. I write a lot of stuff for my classes and find I am able to incorporate exactly the ideas/concepts needed – a task that might take a great deal of time looking for existing music. ( I have recently started to submit works to Sibelius website www.members.sibelius.com a search of my name will bring up the music)

I live in Herts and am married with 2 kids, 2 cats and a dog! I love motorcycling and own a BMW F650 at present.

Edited by Christopher Barnard