The Education Forum

What's in a name?

I think one can see a L. H. Oswald in Lee's handwriting under the scrawly A. J. Hidell. The L H. is obvious and the Oswald (Lee did put the O in a lower position) fits and there is a outline of the other letters inwhat at fist looks like a messy scribble.

Also the usually read D F Drittal could very well be J F Drittal, scrub the PO and there's the J ( I also think the 8 is a 3 as it should be for Lee.)

from Roberts topic "The Other Oswald['s]" : Fritz Dieter Jaeger? Fort Worth. Oswald did say in interview he got the pistol in Fort Worth.

Perhaps a german member can make something more of it. Names of immigrants are often changed, misspelt etc.

John,

I agree -- the "A.J. Hidell" is notably sloppy, and probably is covering an L.H. Oswald underneath. I don't believe that the "O" in Oswald was lowercase, however. I think he descended slightly below the line with the capital O, and the "H" in Hidell is larger than most of his other capital letters to compensate for it.

I'd also venture that the pen he used wasn't writing very well, as a portion of the capital "O" in "Oswald" appears to have not come out very well. It also looks like he might have gone over his letters twice when writing "Hidell". Nevertheless, I agree that it is quite possible that this is an overwrite.

Good catch... Now... to understand what it all means??

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one can see a L. H. Oswald in Lee's handwriting under the scrawly A. J. Hidell. The L H. is obvious and the Oswald (Lee did put the O in a lower position) fits and there is a outline of the other letters inwhat at fist looks like a messy scribble.

Also the usually read D F Drittal could very well be J F Drittal, scrub the PO and there's the J ( I also think the 8 is a 3 as it should be for Lee.)

from Roberts topic "The Other Oswald['s]" : Fritz Dieter Jaeger? Fort Worth. Oswald did say in interview he got the pistol in Fort Worth.

Perhaps a german member can make something more of it. Names of immigrants are often changed, misspelt etc.

The more I look at this, the more oddities I see. The "d" in Hidell appears to be crossed, like a "t". Perhaps it is a hastily dotted "i" (which for a fast writer, can turn into a dash).

The "Drittal" line, however, is even more troubling.

I can see it as "J." more than "D." at the start of the line, with an outside shot at "O."

However, I don't see "F." as the second initial. Perhaps it is "Fr." Or even "Fri."? As in J. Fr. Drittal...

"Drittal" itself is odd, too. "Drittol", "Grittol" (The space between the vowel and the "l" at the end is large - perhaps there is a letter between -- as in Drittaul).

The PO box number looks obviously tampered to me... 2415, 2915 (edit) I had someone who is not familiar with the case look at the PO Box line, and she thought it could also bee 2815...

Edited by Frank Agbat

• 3 years later...

J. Fr.(au) (Frau : Wife or Mrs) Drittal?

Guest Tom Scully

Really going out on a limb here...I'm wondering if, Ana Drittel has a brother, or other male relative, recruited by an alphabet agency. I only risk thinking "out loud", here, because the Aug. 1966, NY Times obit describes widow Ana as "Russian."

I think your find is quite remarkable, Tom. Just thought I'd bring back some older speculations. Can't find a good copy of the coupon now. This is all just speculations that may or may not get somewhere. But the D maybe being J could be a thoughtless attemprt to hide something but needed to match an ID necessary for the order, ie assuming a Mrs John Drittal (Hurt) and justifying it with Frau. A bit like OH Lee ( what is your name (meaning surname)? Lee... Oswald..er...Harvey, middle name... and before correcting to Lee Harvey Oswald OH Lee is written...no big deal really), which is likely a mistake written according to the landladys ethnic background.

Guest Tom Scully

Thanks, John. I got a lucky break. Jim Root's reply to my "John W. Hurt" post, the other day, was the catalyst for my looking a little harder.

I am glad you resurrected this thread, and your guess is as good as mine, as the saying goes.

Meet the family,,,,(I'd be grateful to anyone who can post the full text of these obits.)

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=Ann...s&scoring=a

Deaths

$3.95 - New York Times - Jan 10, 1970

9:30 A.M. -Anna. beloved mother of Jean Koops, Maurice, Ana Hurt, and Sonya Levine. Devoted grandmother and . Servlees Sunday 12 noon Gramercy Park Chepti, ...

Deaths; In Memoriam

$3.95 - New York Times - Jan 10, 1973

Beloved wife of Barnet Levine Sister c ! Mrs. Jean KooPs, Mrs. Anni Driltelle , Hurt and Maurice Drittell. Services 3 P.M. I Thursday in The Church of the ...

Really going out on a limb here...I'm wondering if, Ana Drittel has a brother, or other male relative, recruited by an alphabet agency. I only risk thinking "out loud", here, because the Aug. 1966, NY Times obit describes widow Ana as "Russian."

From John Simkin http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2310

We get an insight into this by the recorded conversation (52) that took place between Johnson and Hoover on 23rd November, 1963:

J. Edgar Hoover: I just wanted to let you know of a development which I think is very important in connection with this case - this man in Dallas (Lee Harvey Oswald). We, of course, charged him with the murder of the President. The evidence that they have at the present time is not very, very strong. We have just discovered the place where the gun was purchased and the shipment of the gun from Chicago to Dallas, to a post office box in Dallas, to a man - no, to a woman by the name of "A. Hidell."... We had it flown up last night, and our laboratory here is making an examination of it.

From CE 2973

Sources acquainted with some phases of Cuban activities in the New Orleans area advised on Nov 25 and Nov 26, 1963 , that they have no information regarding LEE HARVEY OSWALD, JACK LEON RUBY, JACK RUBENSTEIN, OH LEE, AJ HIDELL, ALEK JAMES HIDELL, ALEX J HIDELL, ANA HIDELL, or any variations of the HIDELL name. No sources advised they knew anyone whose last name was HIDELL.

The HSCA also asked Col. Jones if the 112th had a file on ANA HIDELL.

Now you're telling me you've found a trace of the name ANA DRITTEL???? Ana of course is not the common spelling, so I think you may be on to something....

She may have identified as Russian but that does not mean she wasn't German given the ever shifting borders, territories, annexures etc

DRITELL= a third

Oswald was smitten with the opera, Queen of Spades (which had occult and metaphysical themes).

The number three has a great significance in the above opera

Oswald - According to Marina & Lee had a "thing" about the number three

The Queen of Spades name was "Anna"

The character named Surin sums up at the card table, "I play cautiously, never get excited, never lose my head, and yet I go on losing!” which sounds a lot like Oswald...

Anna, in her youth had turned to Count St Germain to help her out on a gambling debt. St Germain was a spy; a quirky combination of The Mentalist, Gotlieb and Bond. St Germain told her the secret of winning at the table...

The Queen of Spades playing card indicates "opening oneself up to injury or downfall". The card was known in France back when as "Pallas" Pallas, in Greek mythology was related to Athena who kills him accidently, then assumes his name becoming Pallas Athena... and this all takes place near a body of water called "Triton" - there's that three again (and can anyone say "Trinity River"?)

See what happens when I start thinking out loud? :ph34r:

Edited by Greg Parker

Thanks, John. I got a lucky break. Jim Root's reply to my "John W. Hurt" post, the other day, was the catalyst for my looking a little harder.

I am glad you resurrected this thread, and your guess is as good as mine, as the saying goes.

Meet the family,,,,(I'd be grateful to anyone who can post the full text of these obits.)

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=Ann...s&scoring=a

Deaths

$3.95 - New York Times - Jan 10, 1970

9:30 A.M. -Anna. beloved mother of Jean Koops, Maurice, Ana Hurt, and Sonya Levine. Devoted grandmother and . Servlees Sunday 12 noon Gramercy Park Chepti, ...

Deaths; In Memoriam

$3.95 - New York Times - Jan 10, 1973

Beloved wife of Barnet Levine Sister c ! Mrs. Jean KooPs, Mrs. Anni Driltelle , Hurt and Maurice Drittell. Services 3 P.M. I Thursday in The Church of the ...

Anni Driltelle , Hurt and Maurice Drittell

Anna DRITTELL

Birth Date: 10 Jun 1882

Death Date: Jan 1970

Social Security Number: 546-80-5126

State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: California

Death Residence Localities

ZIP Code: 10038

Localities: New York, New York, New York

Peck Slip, New York, New York

Guest Tom Scully

1920 Census image, closeup of Ely Drittel family US census entry, names of siblings good match with

1973 NY Times obit, "Ana" is Anna, and "Maurice" is Morris. Full census image lists family birthplaces as "Russis Poland."

4372080562_2e63420f67_o.jpg

DRITTEL, ELY (1920 U.S. Census)

NEW YORK , KINGS, BROOKLYN

Series: T625 Roll: 1165 Page: 182

4371331567_66fc45799b_b.jpg

Edited by Tom Scully

Guest Tom Scully

1912 Drittel family ship's manifest from Ellis Island archives.

Begins with left side of first of two pages, on line 14. Four images, in sequence, L to R. Relevant line in second image has the word "Hebrew" visisble. I cannot read most of the handwritten entries. I inclued the line above line 14 in images 2, 3, and 4.

4371460803_d7e0fbd788_o.jpg

4372211026_1d5ff8d8cd_o.jpg

4372211086_28b72cffc8_o.jpg

4372211114_8c1cbf7329_o.jpg

Guest Tom Scully
.....(image)

I think one can see a L. H. Oswald in Lee's handwriting under the scrawly A. J. Hidell

from Roberts topic "The Other Oswald['s]" : Fritz Dieter Jaeger? Dieter apparently means something like 'peoples army'

Is this an attempt to link the rifle which was clearly ordered by a A J Hidell to a revolver that was possibly ordered by a L. H. Oswald? I know it's a bit far out and speculative, but perhaps a german speaker could make something more of it?

First reported as "D E" Drittal....

Warren Commission, Volume XXVI: CE 3088 - FBI report dated ...

appeared to be D. E. DRITTAL. Also written in Ink on the order form was an order for one box of ammunition and one holster, but a line was drawn through ...

Warren Commission, Volume XXVI: CE 3088 - FBI report dated ...

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk...H26_CE_3088.pdf

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=90

Link to image of FBI report page.:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/servlet/...tation=portrait

Edited by Tom Scully