The Education Forum

David Atlee Phillips

David Atlee Phillips was head of the CIA’s Western Hemisphere Division. Gaeton Fonzi was a staff investigator for the House Select Committee on Assassinations. In his book, The Last Investigation, Fonzi takes the view that the assassination was organized by Phillips. He denied the charge and for a while he threatened legal action against Fonzi.

Phillips later told Kevin Walsh, a former investigator with House Select Committee on Assassinations: "My private opinion is that JFK was done in by a conspiracy, likely including rogue American intelligence people."

David Atlee Phillips died of cancer on 7th July, 1988. He left behind an unpublished manuscript. The novel is about a CIA officer who lived in Mexico City (that is where Phillips was in 1963). In the novel the character states: "I was one of those officers who handled Lee Harvey Oswald... We gave him the mission of killing Fidel Castro in Cuba... I don't know why he killed Kennedy. But I do know he used precisely the plan we had devised against Castro. Thus the CIA did not anticipate the president's assassination, but it was responsible for it. I share that guilt."

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKphillips.htm

This fits in with the story supplied by the CIA agent Harry Dean. He claims that he was working with Lee Harvey Oswald in a plot to kill Fidel Castro. However, this was switched to an attack on Kennedy (the CIA working with the John Birch Society).

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKdeanH.htm

• 3 weeks later...
Is there more information on this unpublished manuscript? Can it be found on the web? Or is it his book "The shadow warrior"

This information came from the updated 2002 edition of The Kennedy Conspiracy by Anthony Summers. He says it had been unpublished at the time of his death. There was no information about whether the novel has been published since 1988. Nor does he say what the novel was called.