The Education Forum

West Neely Street?

For those familiar with Dallas, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how far it would be between Oswald's old address of 214 W. Neely and 640 W. Neely? Bernard Haire, the witness who claimed to have seen Oswald or at least someone who looked like Oswald being removed via the back exit of the Texas Theater, lived at 640 W. Neely.

Just curious really.

James

Edited by James Richards

For those familiar with Dallas, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how far it would be between Oswald's old address of 214 W. Neely and 640 W. Neely? Bernard Haire, the witness who claimed to have seen Oswald or at least someone who looked like Oswald being removed via the back exit of the Texas Theater, lived at 640 W. Neely.

Just curious really.

James

Images from microsoft terraserver (enter address and street number)

Thanks, John.

I take it the red dots are where the respective houses are. Do these residences appear to be on the same street?

James

Richard. Yes, red dots as produced by 'terraserver' and no, the actual streets are not in line, however sometimes of course that is not an issue. I suggest checking with streretmap, if it corresponds then you have house location, otherwise there is something wrong with how MS produces these results. I estimate about 600 m as crow flies. There is option on terraserver map maker to view results as aerial, topographic or street map depending on whats available for that particular area.

Thanks, John.

I take it the red dots are where the respective houses are. Do these residences appear to be on the same street?

James

Richard. Yes, red dots as produced by 'terraserver' and no, the actual streets are not in line, however sometimes of course that is not an issue. I suggest checking with streretmap, if it corresponds then you have house location, otherwise there is something wrong with how MS produces these results. I estimate about 600 m as crow flies. There is option on terraserver map maker to view results as aerial, topographic or street map depending on whats available for that particular area.

Richard, I live in Dallas and according to the "Mapsco" the "entire" length of Neely Street according to their map, is almost precisely 3,250 feet or, if you like just a little over 1/2 miles. Bearing in mind that is not going by the 1963 measurements which I do not have access to.

Maybe this will help you more.

See the link

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.ad...allas&2s=TX&2z=

If this link doesent reproduce for you go to mapquest.com and (using the To: From:) place the addresses on, you should be on your way. Hope this helps

Edited by Robert Howard

Thanks, guys.

It seems that the distance was about .6 of a mile. Close but not quite close enough to consider that Bernard Haire would have known Oswald or at least have seen him on a regular basis.

Tantalizing but ultimately frustrating.

Cheers,

James

I wonder sometimes if the "back door Oswald" wasn't Johnny Calvin Brewer, who opened the back door for the police when they arrived, and apparently got a little bit toussled before he was able to convince them he was "one of the good guys?"

A complete (as possible) description from each of these guys as to what they saw/experienced might help to clear this up, but after all these years ...?

And, of course, one must also wonder if it is not a case of someone injecting themselves into the story to get their 15 minutes of fame.

Thanks, guys.

It seems that the distance was about .6 of a mile. Close but not quite close enough to consider that Bernard Haire would have known Oswald or at least have seen him on a regular basis.

Tantalizing but ultimately frustrating.

Cheers,

James

I wonder sometimes if the "back door Oswald" wasn't Johnny Calvin Brewer, who opened the back door for the police when they arrived, and apparently got a little bit toussled before he was able to convince them he was "one of the good guys?"

A complete (as possible) description from each of these guys as to what they saw/experienced might help to clear this up, but after all these years ...?

And, of course, one must also wonder if it is not a case of someone injecting themselves into the story to get their 15 minutes of fame.

You may be right, Duke. The stretch of time is not our friend here and has a habit of twisting what really went down.

I seem to remember though that Haire was not the only witness to the back door event. The description given was of a man wearing a light shirt and I believe Brewer was wearing a dark suit. I hope I have that right.

Before Haire was married in 1957, maybe 1956, he lived at 209 West Jefferson. Given that his hobby shop was a couple of doors down from the Texas Theater (231 W. Jefferson), could that address have also been for the shop itself?

Does anyone know how long he had operated the hobby shop?

James