The Education Forum

History Channel On the Presidents

Tim Gratz

I am watching a history channel presentation on "The Presidents."

Twenty minutes or so during the latter few minutes of its segment on JFK the narrator announced:

"On November 1, 1963, Kennedy approved [maybe it even said ordered] the assassination of Diem."

Comments?

I am watching a history channel presentation on "The Presidents." Twenty minutes or so during the latter few minutes of its segment on JFK the narrator announced: "On November 1, 1963, Kennedy approved [maybe it even said ordered] the assassination of Diem." Comments?

It is outrageous to overly simplify that Kennedy ordered Diem's assassination. If the case had been made sufficiently for history, there would have been no need for Nixon's White House to assign E. Howard Hunt the job of fabricating a State Department cable implicating JFK. The Hunt story is illustrative of how important history is to the political process.

T.C.

Yes, I thought it rather outrageous for the History Channel to make that as a statement of historical fact when it is far from it. I believe JFK approved the coup but not the murder of Diem.

I'd like to find out who wrote the program and who reviewed it.