The Education Forum

Body Parts

John Dolva

Top Right autopsy photo : Head wound

,,shows, above the drainage hole, a curved shadow on light colored item etending down and under this part. This gives idea of curvature of this item.

Shoulder has this feature...

(The image has been selectively enhanced splitting the dark and light areas and darkening the light and lighteling the dark

Edited by John Dolva

Robin, I updated image with one showing the hole better. The reflections on the table to are not uniform. They curve in various ways and overlap in various way. I think its a jumble of reflections on a mottly surface.

Robin, I updated image with one showing the hole better. The reflections on the table to are not uniform. They curve in various ways and overlap in various way. I think its a jumble of reflections on a mottly surface.

John.

Can you use an arrow to point out where you see the drain HOLE in your image.

I must be missing something but i can't see it.

Here's the hole selected out and enhanced

Context is important.

This is well illustrated by Frank's presentation in "Autopsy Table" that shows how circles are percieved in different situations.

Here the above crop is put in context.

The skin folded back to reveal the shattered skull has a clue to how that 'foldback' behaved in a line indicating curvature, thickness and direction. Knowing this helps in stretching it back over the skull in order to match features.

lower left corner. The so called 'neck creases' extend over a number of regularly shaped features and over the obvious skull part.

It cannot be said to be a 'body part', better at this point to call it an unexplained feature, I suggest a blemish, as a very similar feature occurs in the back of head photo in the lower left corner and is there obviously NOT a neck crease. Perhaps some 'dirt' on the camera lens?

In 'Autopsy Table' is a preliminary orientation suggestion using the peripheral (non body parts) items. Here is the suggestion with a MRI slice of a head turned in 3d to approximate the slice if it came from this head approximately at eye level, showing such things as the shape of the brain pan itself and features such as brain and sinus'.

It is only approximate at this stage and for illustration only to help visualise the photo.