The Education Forum

LBJ Motorcade Photo

I need help identifying this picture that Robert Groden published in his book The Men Who Killed Kennedy. It is a small insert on page 14, that shows LBJ talking on the phone while he is in his limo in the motorcade. Somebody I know asked Groden personally about the source of the picture but Groden did not know.

Does anybody know what photographer took the picture? and where was he along the motorcade route at the time?

{Having trouble uploading the image, will try again}

Adam,

Are you talking about Groden's book The Killing of a President? If so, there is no photo of LBJ on p. 14. The left side of his head is partially visible in Altgens (p. 15).

Ron

Apologies, I think you might be right, I think it is The killing of a President. Will try and find the right page number soon. Could not upload the image, so I have uploaded it here instead

Looks like some kind of curved plastic Motorola mouthpiece, not an ATT or walkie talkie........

Ron,

Garry Mack seems to think so too. I am also coming to this conclusion. Thanks for the thoughts.

Adam,

I don't think LBJ wore his glasses while riding in the motorcade, but I'm not sure. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a photo of LBJ in the motorcade. I would love to see one if one exists. The few statements claiming he was talking into a walkie-talkie haven't been posiitively verified to my knowledge, but I believe they are true. FWIW.

I don't believe LBJ would be talking on any walkie talkie or radio during the motorcade. Aside from the obvious questions it would raise if it were captured on film, there was no reason for LBJ to have specific knowledge of when and where the hit would occur. (It was enough to know that Mac was taking care of it.) If LBJ was talking on a radio, it would suggest that he was in hands-on control of the whole operation, and was giving the green light to proceed. That seems far-fetched to me.

It's possible, of course, that he was just talking to Madeleine Brown. But Lady Bird was sitting beside him.