The Education Forum

The Einstein Factor

[...] the dinner party assassination discussion came to a screeching halt when the hostess asked who Lee Harvey Oswald was.

James

Lee Harvey Oswald. Uhhh, isn't he one of those dudes on "Lost?"

_ :ice _

Edited by Thomas Graves

For those interested, last Sunday (Feb 19), the ABC quiz shoe "Einstein Factor" featured a contestant whose special subject was the JFK assassination. David Gilbert, from Sydney won the contest and answered 14 of 15 questions correctly. Some were easy, some a bit harder.

I was surprised about the one he missed because the compere gave him the first two names of the answer--James Jesus--and he couldn't give the last name. But he was impressive, all the same.

He will go through to the next round on Sunday March 5 at 6.30pm on ABC.

Here's the site. You can try the quiz.

http://www.abc.net.au/einsteinfactor/

Mark, I applied to go on the show soon after it started. Guess what my nominated subject was? Guess who never got an invite?

I put it down to the subject being so contentious.

But looks like it was just me! :ice

Greg,

A former work collegue went on the show's first series--he actually made the Grand Final and ran third. He told me that they only accept one contestant for any given topic. So there's only one contestant in each series who can pick the assassination as a special subject. Because of its popularity, the JFK assassination is one of the first slots filled each series. There has been an assassinologist on the two previous series but both were first round casualties.

Apparently they were on a shoestring budget in the first series. They probably already had an applicant from Melbourne (where it's filmed) who nominated JFK as a special subject, so maybe they decided to save the expense of a plane ticket to fly you in. They made great savings on the matter of prizemoney. It was and still is zero.

And the burning question is........what was his theory? (Mark Stapleton)

He was having an each way bet on the CIA or Mafia.

BTW, the dinner party assassination discussion came to a screeching halt when the hostess asked who Lee Harvey Oswald was. After a moment of stunned silence, she directed the conversation back to Brad and Angelina.

James

James,

LOL. I trust you have already struck her off any future dinner party list. :ice:lol:

a strange set of reaction to a good question. Who was Lee Harvey Oswald? Writing a person off for asking the hard questions is hardly the way to finding out, or getting people involved/interested. Surely there's no value in such snobbery. For those who ridicule this 'hostess' person: who was LHO?

a strange set of reaction to a good question. Who was Lee Harvey Oswald? Writing a person off for asking the hard questions is hardly the way to finding out, or getting people involved/interested. Surely there's no value in such snobbery. For those who ridicule this 'hostess' person: who was LHO?

I was merely joking about the hostess's apparent faux pas.

It wasn't a serious comment. That's why I added the smiley faces.

What's your problem?

Edited by Mark Stapleton

There was no snobbery at all. This woman had no interest in who LHO was and became quite irked that the conversation had become political. Many folk are like this. Head in the sand types who refuse to think outside the square. They have no opinions on subjects that matter but can speak for hours on Paris Hilton or who should be voted off 'Australian Idol'.

Case in point was the Australian of the year for 2006; Professor Ian Frazier and his research into cancer. A brilliant career finally recognized but virtually unknown in the wider community. It's almost unbelievable that a society exists where the shallow and insignificant world of celebrities can sell more copy than scientific achievement.

In the words of Leonie Kramer, "Australia is the only country in the world where the word academic is regularly used as a term of abuse."

James

Well, 'had no interest at all' puts a different spin on it for sure...

prior to that 'qualification'...

Problem?

apart from the discount of neophyte questionings which often are in earnest, faux pas is assumption.

What if the statement had been 'the host, a good friend of mine...'? But no, it's 'the hostess' 'that woman'...

In the words of me 'Australia is not the only country that calls itelf erroneously the only country'. Unlike other countries perhaps a difference is not resorting to book burnings and 'killing fields'. (for now). I agree there is a tendency to laud stupidity in Australia. Which such wonderful leaders what can one expect.

For those interested, last Sunday (Feb 19), the ABC quiz shoe "Einstein Factor" featured a contestant whose special subject was the JFK assassination. David Gilbert, from Sydney won the contest and answered 14 of 15 questions correctly. Some were easy, some a bit harder.

I was surprised about the one he missed because the compere gave him the first two names of the answer--James Jesus--and he couldn't give the last name. But he was impressive, all the same.

He will go through to the next round on Sunday March 5 at 6.30pm on ABC.

Here's the site. You can try the quiz.

http://www.abc.net.au/einsteinfactor/

Mark, I applied to go on the show soon after it started. Guess what my nominated subject was? Guess who never got an invite?

I put it down to the subject being so contentious.

But looks like it was just me! :unsure:

Greg,

A former work collegue went on the show's first series--he actually made the Grand Final and ran third. He told me that they only accept one contestant for any given topic. So there's only one contestant in each series who can pick the assassination as a special subject. Because of its popularity, the JFK assassination is one of the first slots filled each series. There has been an assassinologist on the two previous series but both were first round casualties.

Apparently they were on a shoestring budget in the first series. They probably already had an applicant from Melbourne (where it's filmed) who nominated JFK as a special subject, so maybe they decided to save the expense of a plane ticket to fly you in. They made great savings on the matter of prizemoney. It was and still is zero.

DOH! The ABC budget. I shoulda guessed!

Re my Post #7, here is another assassin buff goes to heaven joke (from a post on alt.assassination.jfk) (must be the "lone nut " version):

Assassin buff goes to heaven and when he first meets God, his first question of course is: "Who really killed JFK?" to which God answers: "The WC had it right. It was in fact Lee Harvey acting alone."

The assassination buff walks off, disappointed, and thinks to himself: "I had no idea the size of the conspiracy!"

Thanks for the heads up, Mark.

It does amaze me how many Aussies seem to be into the assassination of John Kennedy. I was at a dinner party recently where one of the guests, a local Motorola sales Rep, was a very keen student of the case. He passed the comment that a lifetime of research into the assassination is barely enough. I had to agree with him.

James

James, a friend of mine in Darwin told me last year he got a taxi home from a night out and spotted a dog-eared book on the dash-board. Making friendly conversation, he asked the cabbie what he was reading. It was the WCR! He went on to say he was writing a book on the assassination.

This was happening just as they were pulling into my friend's driveway. He said he wasn't game to ask the cabbie what his theory was for fear it would delay getting to bed by a couple of hours. :unsure:

Guest Stephen Turner

Case in point was the Australian of the year for 2006; Professor Ian Frazier and his research into cancer. A brilliant career finally recognized but virtually unknown in the wider community. It's almost unbelievable that a society exists where the shallow and insignificant world of celebrities can sell more copy than scientific achievement.

In the words of Leonie Kramer, "Australia is the only country in the world where the word academic is regularly used as a term of abuse."

James

[

James, this willfull stupidity is endemic, and far from only an Aussie problem. The depths of pure ignorance, on any topic that isnt conected to "Celebrity" displayed, on a daily basis, by many Brits makes me fear for the gene pool. Indeed in some circles it is considered laudible not to care about anything at all, except Soccer, The lotery, Jordan and big brother. Of course thats just how our rulers like us, isnt it?

Edited to add, Thats Jordan the silicone enhanced celebrity BTW, not Jordan the country :unsure:

Edited by Stephen Turner