The Education Forum

Tony Sforza

In his autobiography, Spymaster: My Life in the CIA, Ted Shackley does not write much about his fellow agents. However, surprisingly he does make several mentions of David Morales. He claims that Morales worked very closely with Tony Sforza in their attempts to remove Fidel Castro. Does anyone have any information on Sforza?

In his autobiography, Spymaster: My Life in the CIA, Ted Shackley does not write much about his fellow agents. However, surprisingly he does make several mentions of David Morales. He claims that Morales worked very closely with Tony Sforza in their attempts to remove Fidel Castro. Does anyone have any information on Sforza?

The Association of Former Intelligence Officers's website has a plea from a filmmaker working on a production about the Chilean coup, asking to contact a variety of people he asserts were involved in overthrowing Allende. One of them, listed as an Army officer, is Anthony Sforza. [if it's the same guy, he was no doubt covertly seconded to the Army for cover purposes.]

New York City tax records disclose that an Anthony Sforza lived on Castleton Avenue as of last year. Don't know if it's the same guy....

The Social Security Death Index also lists eight deceased men of that name, several of whom were born at a time that might make them eligible for consideration as THE Anthony Sforza you're seeking.

FWIW...

Hopefully James Richards will post a photo of Sforza, so we can look for him at Main and Houston.

He seems like a pretty shadowy figue. Here's the NameBase:

SFORZA ANTHONY J

Cuba 1959-1962 Chile 1970 Mexico 1970-1971

pages cited this search: 9

The Atlantic Monthly stuff looks like it could be promising.

Also, here's a link to the notice Robert talks about on the AFIO website.

Fonzi has a very interesting and informative footnote on him:

"I had not previously mentioned Sforza's name to Carbajal and he didn't know it was familiar to me. It had appeared, along with the names of Morales and Shackley and the others, in that "Highly Sensitive" document I had recieved in 1978. "This man handled anti-Castro activities on behalf of the CIA," the document noted. "He still runs a Cuban 'blow-up group.' ...Sforza is a hit man and should be regarded as dangerous." Like Morales a veteran deep cover agent, Sforza ran an import-export business in Miami after his "retirement" from the CIA. He died within six months of Morales, also from a sudden heart attack."

Edited by Owen Parsons