The Education Forum

Did Eisenberg Know?

I was reading through the HSCA Executive Session of David Slawson and ran across this passage. He is referring to a memo from himself to J. Lee Rankin recounting a telephone conversation between himself and Raymond Rocca of the CIA:

Attachment E : Executive Session Testimony of IV. David

Slawson and Wesley Liebeler.

SUBCOMMITTEE HEARING HSCA

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 1977

HSCA Report volume XI page 170

JFK EXHIBIT No. 24

JUNE 4, 1964.

To : J. Lee Rankin, Howard P. Willens, Norman Redlich.

Subject : Telephone conference with Mr. Rocca of Central Intelligence Agency.

While on the telephone with Rocca he brought up the New York Times article

on conspiracy theories contained in the Times of June 1, 1964. He made

specific reference to the book by a London newspaper man by the name of Den-

nis Eisenberg mentioned in the Austrian newspapers. This book was published

about 2 months before the assassination and contained an assertion that the

right wing elements in America were at that time planning the assassination

of Kennedy.

The only book I can find of Eisenberg's published in 1963 was something called, "Fascists et Nazis d'Aujourdhui" (or Fascists and Nazis of Today)

Has anyone read it?

Steve Thomas

The only book I can find of Eisenberg's published in 1963 was something called, "Fascists et Nazis d'Aujourdhui" (or Fascists and Nazis of Today)

Has anyone read it?

Steve Thomas

Rats! False alarm I guess.

The book Rocca referred to was the one I mentioned above. To paraphrase, in it Eisenberg said that ever since Petit-Clarmart's attempt on the life of DeGaulle, the FBI was scrutinizing political refugees such as Romanians, Cubans, Czechs and Hungarians more closely because the last three presidential assassinations were carried out by elements of the extreme right. Hungarian refugees were under closer surveillance because elements of the extreme right might recruit one or more sharpshooters for the job of "killing the most dangerous communist agent in the West: John Fitzgerald Kennedy."

You can see a June 9, 1964 CIA memo from Ray Rocca to David Slawson on the Eisenberg book in CD 1096 or the Russ Holmes Work File 104-10437-10016

Hungarian refugees were under closer surveillance because elements of the extreme right might recruit one or more sharpshooters for the job of "killing the most dangerous communist agent in the West: John Fitzgerald Kennedy."

Which is interesting because William Reymond in his book, "Autopsie d'un crime d'Etat" claiemd that one of the shooters, I don't remember if it was Max or Ladislas, was supposed to be Hungarian.

Steve Thomas