The Education Forum

A Zapruder smoking gun?

Researcher Chris Davidson purchased a camera identical

to Zapruder's. He took it to the plaza and from the top of

the Z pedestal, shot films to match Zapruder's.

Comparing the films frame by frame, he found a startling

anomaly: MAIN AND COMMERCE STREETS DO NOT MATCH.

Since the concrete streets and curbs have not changed

since 1963, the roadways should have matched exactly,

but did not. He sent me an animated GIF showing the

mismatch and asked what he was doing wrong. I told

him nothing...that he had discovered an important anomaly!

Since his animated GIF is too large to post, I have created

this "Roads for Dummies" simplification.

I believe this is another smoking gun of the botched Z animation.

Jack :rolleyes:

There was no mention as to what the standing height of the camera was in the duplicate film test as compared to Zapruder's. As you know, the higher the camera - the more distance between curbs will be present. Zapruder also had his camera on auto-zoom ... did Chris do the same?

Despite a 'Rush to Judgment' on Jack's part to claim something is afoul ... some causes for the alignment differences was not considered ... and if considered - they certainly were not discussed. However, these variances can be rectified by simply scaling the overlay correctly. Hopefully Chris will see this animation and realize that his film wasn't all that bad at attempting to duplicate Zapruder's film.

Bill Miller

Edited by Bill Miller

There was no mention as to what the standing height of the camera was in the duplicate film test as compared to Zapruder's. As you know, the higher the camera - the more distance between curbs will be present. Zapruder also had his camera on auto-zoom ... did Chris do the same?

Despite a 'Rush to Judgment' on Jack's part to claim something is afoul ... some causes for the alignment differences was not considered ... and if considered - they certainly were not discussed. However, these variances can be rectified by simply scaling the overlay correctly. Hopefully Chris will see this animation and realize that his film wasn't all that bad at attempting to duplicate Zapruder's film.

Bill Miller

Its also not a good idea to compare the recreation film to a frame from the Costella combined edit version of the film. Costella has applled at least two different digital transformations to his frames ( the exact method of these image transformations have never been released). These transformations have changed critical internal and external aspects of the original zapruder frame making them worthless for this exercise.

The recreation frame needs to be compared to an UNALTERED (the Costella frames ARE altered) Zapruder 416 to be of any value.