The Education Forum

Joe Bates, Esq. Dallas Attorney

Under other Controversial Issues in History - Hinkley & Company thread, I posted a request for information about a Dallas attorney named Joe Bates.

According to a book on legal interrogation issues, there is a reference to the Hinckley case because they read Hinkley his Miranda rights three or four times.

Finally, at one point, Hinckley stops the questioning by simply saying that he thought he should talk to "Joe Bates," identified as his father's attorney in Dallas.

Does anyone have anything on this Joe Bates?

I also noted there is a Tom Bates, who is on the board of a non-profit medical org. with Hinkley, Sr.

BK

Hi Bill,

I don't have much, but Joe Bates was the Vice President of the St. Thomas More Society which was an organization of Catholic attorneys. The President of this group was James L. Walsh Jr. who was also the general council and Vice President for Southwestern Life Insurance.

I was once told there was a solid connection between Bates and Father Machann but I have yet to find one.

FWIW.

James

Hi Bill,

I don't have much, but Joe Bates was the Vice President of the St. Thomas More Society which was an organization of Catholic attorneys. The President of this group was James L. Walsh Jr. who was also the general council and Vice President for Southwestern Life Insurance.

I was once told there was a solid connection between Bates and Father Machann but I have yet to find one.

FWIW.

James

THANK YOU JAMES,

HAVE YOU COME ACROSS ANY PHOTOS OF JOE BATES OR MACANN?

I'M SURPRISED WE HAVEN'T HEARD FROM ANY DALLAS AREA RESEARCHERS WHO I SUSPECTED WOULD HAVE MORE ON JOE BATES.

BK

Bill,

No photos of Bates but below is one of Father Machann. Another connection to Bates is Father Bryan O. Walsh. I have no idea if he is still alive but he would be good to talk to. Like Machann, he was a conduit into the Cuban exile community with connections to Manuel Avila who ran the Stevens Theater where Tippit moonlighted as a security guard.

James

James,

While Padre McCann is an important, living undeposed witness, especially in regards to Odio and Martino, and the funding of the Cuban Ops via the Catholic Welfare Org., the mystery man is Joe Bates.

How can a prominent lawyer for big shot oil man and CIA front guy John Hinkley, Sr. not have a basic background that the Dallas or even Texas members of the forum would know about?

And is he related to Tom Bates, on the nonprofit foundation org?

Doesn't anybody have anything on this guy?

BK

Bill,

I have been running around in circles regarding Bates and only managed to get dizzy, but if you want to find out more and no one here at the forum can help, may I suggest trying to contact either Sam Paternostro, Ted McMaster or Ray Sullivan; all of Dallas.

I have no idea if any of these guys are still alive but they all served on the committee for the St. Thomas More Society at the same time Joe Bates did.

Cheers,

James