New book by E. Howard Hunt?

American Spy: My Secret History in the CIA, Watergate and Beyond

E. Howard Hunt, Greg Aunapu

ISBN: 0-471-78982-8

Hardcover

288 pages

January 2007

US $25.95 Add to Cart

This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.

Description

1. Hunt will discuss his role in the break-in of Daniel Ellsberg's psychiatrist s office in 1971, and other break-ins conducted by the White House.

2. Re Watergate, the book gives the fullest picture of Hunt's motives, why he was willing to participate, even though he thought the break in was a mistake, and the ramifications of his actions.

3. At the time of Watergate, Hunt had an office in the White House, including a safe which contained a gun and forged documents linking the Kennedy Administration to the assassination of South Vietnamese President Diem.

4. After the Watergate burglary, Hunt enlisted his daughter Kevan to help him dispose of incriminating evidence, including suitcases full of documents which were dumped in a lake, and the typewriter which was used to create the forged documents.

5. Hunt will explain why his wife Dorothy, once a Treasury agent, was carrying over $10,000 in cash at the time of her death in December 1972. He also debunks various widespread conspiracy theories about the money.

6. He will debunk theories about his role in the events following the shooting of George Wallace in 1972.

7. He will offer startling revelations dating back to his involvement in the CIA coup in Guatemala in 1954, his work with CIA officials such as Allen Dulles and Richard Helms, his friendship with William F. Buckley Jr., whom Hunt brought into the Agency, as well as his career as a World War II veteran who fought in China, and longtime CA operative.

8. Hunt shows CIA s influence on modern politics, the amazing lengths the Agency went to to try to control the media and people's perception of the US, capitalism and communism through propaganda.

9. Hunt debunks and/or defends himself against widespread conspiracies that have arisen in the years after Watergate, that: he participated in the JFK assassination; that he wrote the book by George Wallace's assassin; that his wife Dorothy was investing $1 million of Watergate money with Robert Vesco; that there was a secret alternative motive to break into the DNC.

10. Finally, Hunt will examine the post 9/11 CIA and offer the agency new ways to take on the fight against terror, many of these based on lessons from his own lifetime as a spy. He will focus on domestic spying and revamping the mindset of CIA.

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/p...0471789828.html

Edited by Michael Hogan

The original link does not appear to work. Try this one:

http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/pr...0471789828.html

I suspect that this is just a rehash of previous books by Hunt. However, I will contact his publisher and ask him if he wants to discuss it on the forum.

Sounds like some rather interesting reading :)

John: Why don't you ask the publisher if HUNT wants to discuss it on the forum. Now that would

be quite a "get"!!

Dawn

In a nutshell...more agency propaganda.

Jack

I'm not so sure. The books by other CIA men have not been kind to Hunt. He may very well be trying to improve his own reputation, at the expense of others. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he dishes up some previously unexamined dirt on all the Presidential Administrations from Truman to Nixon.

While I wouldn't expect any mea culpas on anything sinister, he may surprise us and discuss the assassination aspect of the Guatemalan Operation. In the official history of the Op, it is recorded that one agent screwed up and left secret material in a rented apartment. This agent was re-assigned just before the OP began. Hunt's memoirs reflect that he was shipped to Asia just before the Op he'd helped set up began. As a result, it seems likely that the "screw-up" was Hunt. What's intriguing though is that the agent who turned him in, identified as Vincent Pivall, was widely praised in an after-action report written by the para-military chief of the operation, William "Rip" Robertson. As a consequence it seems likely that Pivall was Morales. Hunt may very well discuss Morales and Robertson's role in Guatemala, and their relationship to the redacted assassination list found in the files in the nineties. (The name "Rip" was on the cover memo.) We'll see.

Edited by Pat Speer