The Education Forum

Who did Robert Kennedy ring?

Antti Hynonen

Carl Rylander Posted Today, 11:32 AM

I wonder if anyone can help me with this.

After the assassination, Robert Kennedy rang a branch of the CIA and told them 'You did it'.

What was the name of the branch? I believe they were responsible for carrying out assassinations. They were known as 'A CIA within the CIA'.

Who was it? Was it the NSA?

I think he asked McCone, Director of CIA, that very question. See below:

"Talbot says we "assert that Bobby blamed only the Mafia (and New Orleans godfather Carlos Marcello in particular) for the death of his brother," but we also detail RFK's initial suspicions directed at the CIA. This includes not only RFK asking CIA director John McCone if the CIA killed his brother, but RFK's statement to Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Haynes Johnson that "one of your guys did it," just hours after JFK's murder. As the book explains, Johnson was working at the time on a book with Manuel Artime, and CIA files now show Artime was not only involved in AMWORLD but working on the CIA-Mafia plots against Castro (which involved Rosselli, Trafficante and Marcello) and that the CIA had considered using the Mafia as a cover to provide weapons to Artime as part of AMWORLD. "

From the site below:

http://www.dickrussell.org/articles/waldron.htm

Carl Rylander Posted Today, 11:32 AM

After the assassination, Robert Kennedy rang a branch of the CIA and told them 'You did it'.

What was the name of the branch? I believe they were responsible for carrying out assassinations. They were known as 'A CIA within the CIA'.

I think he asked McCone, Director of CIA, that very question. See below:

"Talbot says we "assert that Bobby blamed only the Mafia (and New Orleans godfather Carlos Marcello in particular) for the death of his brother," but we also detail RFK's initial suspicions directed at the CIA. This includes not only RFK asking CIA director John McCone if the CIA killed his brother, but RFK's statement to Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Haynes Johnson that "one of your guys did it," just hours after JFK's murder. As the book explains, Johnson was working at the time on a book with Manuel Artime, and CIA files now show Artime was not only involved in AMWORLD but working on the CIA-Mafia plots against Castro (which involved Rosselli, Trafficante and Marcello) and that the CIA had considered using the Mafia as a cover to provide weapons to Artime as part of AMWORLD. "

From the site below:

http://www.dickrussell.org/articles/waldron.htm

Well I guess this flies in the face of Joan Mellen's assertion- in AF2J- that Bobby sent Walter Sheridan to sabotage the Garrison investigation. Since the CIA was Garrison's target (and he theirs) Bobby was in all liklihood in touch with Garrison privately offering much encouragement.

Dawn

Carl, I wonder if perhaps you have conflated two events.

On the afternoon of the assassination, CIA Director McCone spent some time with RFK, and Robert Kennedy is said to have asked McCone "in a way that McCone could not lie to him" whether the CIA was involved in his brother's murder. Presumably this refers to stacking up 6 or 7 bibles and pulling out the rosary beads, etc. I always found the seriousness accorded this event somewhat funny. Under what circumstances would McCone have said "well, now that you're making me swear, I guess we did do it." Furthermore, by McCone's own admission he was unaware of any Castro plots for nearly two years while at CIA, so if "the CIA" killed JFK maybe they didn't tell McCone. This leads directly into why I think it's too simplistic to refer to "the CIA" or "the Mafia" or "the anything" when talking about sponsorship. I don't think any serious person alleges that at 9 AM on Nov 22, the memos went out from the CIA Director's office to all branches, saying "ok, man your posts for Operation Zipper, scheduled for 12:30 CST."

The second event which you may be referring to, also that afternoon, was a phone call Bobby placed to Harry Ruiz Williams (Bay of Pigs veteran and RFK confidant on Cuba) and Haynes Johnson (author of "Bay of Pigs"). He told Harry Williams (in another version of the story, it was Haynes Johnson he told): "One of your boys did it."

An essay by Peter Scott refers in passing to this latter incident:

http://www.assassinationweb.com/scotte.htm

Rex

Edited by Rex Bradford

Carl, I wonder if perhaps you have conflated two events.

On the afternoon of the assassination, CIA Director McCone spent some time with RFK, and Robert Kennedy is said to have asked McCone "in a way that McCone could not lie to him" whether the CIA was involved in his brother's murder. Presumably this refers to stacking up 6 or 7 bibles and pulling out the rosary beads, etc. I always found the seriousness accorded this event somewhat funny. Under what circumstances would McCone have said "well, now that you're making me swear, I guess we did do it." Furthermore, by McCone's own admission he was unaware of any Castro plots for nearly two years while at CIA, so if "the CIA" killed JFK maybe they didn't tell McCone. This leads directly into why I think it's too simplistic to refer to "the CIA" or "the Mafia" or "the anything" when talking about sponsorship. I don't think any serious person alleges that at 9 AM on Nov 22, the memos went out from the CIA Director's office to all branches, saying "ok, man your posts for Operation Zipper, scheduled for 12:30 CST."

The second event which you may be referring to, also that afternoon, was a phone call Bobby placed to Harry Ruiz Williams (Bay of Pigs veteran and RFK confidant on Cuba) and Haynes Johnson (author of "Bay of Pigs"). He told Harry Williams (in another version of the story, it was Haynes Johnson he told): "One of your boys did it."

An essay by Peter Scott refers in passing to this latter incident:

http://www.assassinationweb.com/scotte.htm

Rex

I agree with Rex, and I think RFK's rumored[?] visit to Oxnard circa 1967-68 to ostinsibly talk with the person who had foreknowledge of 12:31 at Dealey Plaza, is much more compelling, or is that just folklore?