The Education Forum

Commander Juan Almeida and the CIA

Wim Dankbaar

Subject: RE: Sr Fabian: attencion. Su comentario por favor!

Estimado Wim: Esta información debe ser una medida activa de la CIA. Es una canallada. No hay nada de cierto en ella. Pensé que ese libro tendría mejores argumentos. Saludos. Fabián

Fabián Escalante Font

Translation : This information must be an active measure of the CIA. It's a dirty trick. There is no degree of certainty in this. I thought this book would have the better (kind of) arguments.

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/liz/liz.htm

CUBAN CONSPIRATOR NAMED

Email

Archives

Print

Reprint

Feeds

Newsletters

September 22, 2006 -- 'IF A man cannot keep a measly affair secret, what is he doing in charge of the Intelligence Service?" asks the spy novelist Frederick Forsyth.

If you were an investigative reporter, would you save your biggest book revelation for the trade paperback publication? Well, maybe a lot happened between the pub date and the paperback. That seems to be the case for the JFK-invasion-of-Cuba conspiracy book "Ultimate Sacrifice," which we've written about in this column.

Author Lamar Waldron is set to tell the following sensational details in the paperback on Oct. 9. In the hardcover edition of his book, Waldron went to great lengths to conceal the identity of the Cuban official who was working with President John F. Kennedy and for U.S. interests back in the '60s. Now the CIA has decided to reveal who the man is. Author Waldron advised them not to, but the powers that be feel the man's best protection is wide publicity after the trade book's release. Castro can't take action against him in secret as he did back in 1990.

The "him" is one of the top officials in Cuba today, a leader standing below only Raul Castro, his brother's heir. The secret conspirator is Commander Juan Almeida, head of the army, famous hero of the revolution, best friend to the late Che Guevara. Almeida was in direct contact with Bobby Kennedy's top Cuban exile aide in the summer and fall of 1963; he was to receive $500,000 for helping stage a coup and the down payment was delivered before JFK was assassinated.

Almeida's wife and sons had wisely already been sent out of Cuba because he feared reprisals against them if the coup failed. The sons are said to have been paid a lot of money by the U.S. government and are today living as capitalist businessmen in Cancun and Madrid. Their father remains the No. 3 man in Cuba.

Four days before Kennedy died in Dallas, he made a speech that the CIA now says contained messages intended directly for Commander Almeida to assure him of the president's personal support. The background for all this appeared in the hard cover version of "Ultimate Sacrifice," telling the story of how three Mafia bosses - Johnny Rosselli, Santo Trafficante and Carlos Marcello - infiltrated JFK's coup plan in their own effort to assassinate the president. Waldron says that after JFK's death, the CIA and Bobby Kennedy were forced to cover up a lot of information to Congress and the public in order to protect Almeida.

In 1965, Castro put Che Guevara under house arrest for conspiring with Almeida, but he allowed the latter to rejoin his government in 1995. Almeida is one of the highest black officials in Cuba; some believe his race is a major reason why Castro failed to exact retribution from him. It wouldn't have been popular in Cuba. Evidently, Castro considers Almeida to be "safe" since he has no family to retaliate against in Cuba and he could now never stage a coup for the CIA.

The revelation of his name at this late date should be big news all over, and now that we know Castro is still alive, it might even influence the political situation in Cuba today or in the near future.

These astounding revelations also remove the last legitimate reason for the CIA to continue holding 1 million files related to JFK's assassination. And for dear old Uncle Sam to at last let the entire truth come out.

AFTER THIS column revealed that Elizabeth Taylor wasn't dying and had written us from Hawaii about her adventures underwater in a shark cage, our pal Jess Cagle rushed to Los Angeles to interview her. He, too, found her in fine fettle. The results will appear in People magazine next week. She is celebrating the 15th year of her successful "White Diamonds" (fragrance "Passion" was her first perfume hit), as well as a booming jewelry line. Miz Liz is still having fun. "I don't regret I am stuck in this wheelchair, because - hell, if I can go in a shark cage, life isn't all that bad." Jess even found out that ET has been quietly "dating." No names, however.

All the star of stars will say about her ex Eddie Fisher is "Oy, gevalt!" Of her other six husbands she is very kind indeed. As they were about her.

SINCERE condolences to Mariska Har gitay on the death of her cherished fa ther, Mickey. Three weeks ago, the "Law & Order: SVU" star acknowledged her dad, a handsome one-time "Mr. Universe," as she accepted her Emmy. Years ago, winning a Golden Globe, the actress thanked both her father and her mother, who was the iconic bombshell blonde of the '50s, Jayne Mansfield. On that occasion, Mickey stood in the audience, weeping and blowing kisses, celebrating his daughter's moment in the sun. It was a rare instance of genuine, spontaneous sentimentality and love at an awards show.

THE DEMONIC wit Fran Lebowitz was asked by a stylish woman at a re cent "Marie Antoinette" screening, "Do you think this will start on time?"

Fran: "Nothing has started on time in 25 years - anyway, we know how it ends!"

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The declassified documents provided in the revised edition of Ultimate Sacrifice do not prove that Che Guevara and Juan Almeida Bosch were involved in a CIA plot to overthrow Fidel Castro. All they do is to confirm that the CIA was aware that the two men were critical of some of Castro’s policies. Guevara and Almeida might have been willing to take part in a plot against Castro. However, the available evidence does not prove this was the case. Even if the CIA do declassify documents that show that they were in direct contact with Guevara and Almeida, it does not prove they were involved in a plot against Castro. In fact, it would be just as valid to argue that Castro was using the two men to monitor the CIA plots against him.

The declassified documents provided in the revised edition of Ultimate Sacrifice do not prove that Che Guevara and Juan Almeida Bosch were involved in a CIA plot to overthrow Fidel Castro. All they do is to confirm that the CIA was aware that the two men were critical of some of Castro’s policies. Guevara and Almeida might have been willing to take part in a plot against Castro. However, the available evidence does not prove this was the case. Even if the CIA do declassify documents that show that they were in direct contact with Guevara and Almeida, it does not prove they were involved in a plot against Castro. In fact, it would be just as valid to argue that Castro was using the two men to monitor the CIA plots against him.

John, that makes more sense than the authors absurd promotional claims. Though to know people disagree with each other, a CIA document is hardly necessary. Castro makes no bones about the Cuban governments right to have spies. So that is a valid suggestion. However, as valid as....??? I think a look at the men themselves and where they are today and how they get there tells the story.

A online spanish english translation of a recent GRANMA article.

"Even with the echoes of a historic act by the Latin-American integration, the Plaza of the Revolution José Martí, in the capital of Cuba, began already the act by the First one of May, presided by the commander-in-chief Fidel Castro.

The Plaza Che Guevara of Village Clara is list as all those of the country with a view to the celebration of the International Day of the Workers.

The town of the capital, of way organized, disciplined and combative, concurred since well early al historic place where artists and groups that participate in the cultural spectacle, headlines by the National Band of Concerts and the Chorus of the head Office of Workers of Cuba (CTC), that will interpret the notes of the national anthem, the March of July 26 and The International one.

To the 6:50 in the morning, in the Plaza Antonio I Hammer, of Santiago of Cuba, they were initiated in the country the crowded celebrations by the First one of May. The General of Army Raúl Castro Ruz and the Commander of the Revolution Juan Almeida Forest they headed the parade in the Hero City call.

More than 400 thousand villaclareños are found ready in the thirteen municipalities to initiate the parades in the 13 municipalities of the province. A total of 120 thousand santaclareños already they are found situated in the points of concentration, of where they will leave toward the Plaza Commander Ernesto Guevara."

• 1 month later...
5. In a recently published book, Ultimate Sacrifice, the authors argue that in 1963 JFK and the CIA were working with Juan Almeida Bosque and Che Guevara in a plot to overthrow Fidel Castro. Do you think this is possible? If so, why has Castro allowed Almeida to remain in office (according to the authors, Castro has known about the plot since the early 1990s)?

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKalmeida.htm

No, I do not think it is possible that JFK and the CIA were working with Che and Juan Almeida against Castro. The authors must have been smoking something!

• 2 weeks later...

5. In a recently published book, Ultimate Sacrifice, the authors argue that in 1963 JFK and the CIA were working with Juan Almeida Bosque and Che Guevara in a plot to overthrow Fidel Castro. Do you think this is possible? If so, why has Castro allowed Almeida to remain in office (according to the authors, Castro has known about the plot since the early 1990s)?

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKalmeida.htm

No, I do not think it is possible that JFK and the CIA were working with Che and Juan Almeida against Castro. The authors must have been smoking something!

Dear Wayne,

Good to see you here. You 're still looking good in the BBC / Shane O Sullivan special.

And by the way, I agree with you and Fabian Escalante.

Were you not the one who organized the Nassau conference?

Wim

Oh Wayne, I just read this in your bio:

In March, 2001, Smith was a member of a United States delegation that visited the scene of the Bay of Pigs battle. The party included Arthur Schlesinger (historian), Robert Reynolds (the CIA station chief in Miami during the invasion), Jean Kennedy Smith (sister of John F. Kennedy), Alfredo Duran (Bay of Pigs veteran) and Richard Goodwin (Kennedy political adviser and speech writer).

Robert Reynolds? I think he died a few years ago, didn't he?

His brother George, do you know anything about him?

Wim

• 2 years later...

TO : DIRECTOR

ACTION : WH 8

INFO DDP, SOD 6, CA 2, CA/PEG, CA/PROP, FA/O 4, CI, CI/OPS, CI/IC 2, FI, FI/D, FI/INT, IW, AF 4, WE 4, FE 6, AS 8, VA

28 Nov. 63 : 6925

SECRET 280108Z

JMJIN [ ]

HEFS A. DIR 25583

B. WAVE 6638 (IN 48134)

1. MONTHLY REPORT PER FORMANT ESTABLISHED REF A, PAR 2:

A. NOTHING TO REPORT

B. WAVE CONTINUES RECEIVING AND TAKING ACTION ON LEADS FROM OTHER STATIONS RE TRAVEL CUBANS IN WAVE AND [ ] AREA.

2. DEPARTURE 2 BRITANNIAS, PROBABLY FOR ALGERIA, WITH 170 CUBANS ABOARD HEADED BY JUAN ALMEIDA BOSQUE AND INCLUDING MIG PILOTS AND SUPPORT CREWS REPORTED [ ].......

If this document is true, then Juan Almeida Bosque was headed for Algeria in late November, 1963 and in no position to assume command of a coup in Cuba on December 1.

What does Lamar Waldron have to say about it?

Does he adapt his theory accordingly?

He says that when Almeida's name was revealed, something he would have kept secret, "....That's when I decided to tell the full story in the trade paperback edition, and fully and as accurately as possible."

So now, with this new document that puts Almeida in Africa at the time of the purported coup, how does that change things?

And was this the plot that was hijacked and reaimed at JFK?

Bill Kelly

Edited by William Kelly

• 3 months later...

I thought it might be worth reviving this thread as Juan Almeida Bosque died of a heart attack on Friday:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/1...osque-communism

President Raul Castro led the ceremony at Havana's Revolution Square, sombrely placing a pink rose in front of a large photograph of Almeida. Flags flew at half-staff throughout the country.

There was no sign of Castro's older brother, former leader Fidel Castro, who has not been seen in public since turning over power to his brother in 2006.

He released a statement later yesterday afternoon, writing: "I didn't know, neither did any of us, just how much pain news of his passing would bring."

"I was a privileged witness of his exemplary conduct during more than half a century of heroic and victorious resistance," he added.

I thought it might be worth reviving this thread as Juan Almeida Bosque died of a heart attack on Friday:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/1...osque-communism

President Raul Castro led the ceremony at Havana's Revolution Square, sombrely placing a pink rose in front of a large photograph of Almeida. Flags flew at half-staff throughout the country.

There was no sign of Castro's older brother, former leader Fidel Castro, who has not been seen in public since turning over power to his brother in 2006.

He released a statement later yesterday afternoon, writing: "I didn't know, neither did any of us, just how much pain news of his passing would bring."

"I was a privileged witness of his exemplary conduct during more than half a century of heroic and victorious resistance," he added.

John,

How can you even mention Almeida without mentioning Waldron?

We probably wouldn't have even heard of Almeida if it wasn't for him.

Does this "exemplary conduct" include, if Waldron and Hartman are right, an attempted assassination and coup against Castro on December 1, 1963, one of the "contingency plans for a coup in Cuba" that was hijacked by the Mafia and turned on JFK at Dealey Plaza?

And if the document posted is correct, and Almeida was in Africa at the time, how was he suppose to lead a coup in Cuba?

I guess those who have theories to promote can adapt the change in events to their theory, but why haven't we heard from Waldron?

Bill Kelly

Edited by William Kelly

• 5 weeks later...

On the JFK Lancer Forum there is a thoughtful discussion of Juan Almeida's recent death, with Larry Hancock, among others.

Linked at: http://www.jfklancerforum.com/dc/dcboard.p...6&mode=full

Larry propounds a few interesting ideas of what the JMWAVE report of November 28, 1963 could mean in the context of Lamar Waldron and Thomas Hartmann's theory of a December 1, 1963 plan for a coup in Cuba under the codename AMWORLD, as discussed in Legacy of Secrecy and Ultimate Sacrifice.

Bill Kelly, do you have a link to the November 28, 1963 JMWAVE document on MaryFerrell.org? Thanks.

Steve

On the JFK Lancer Forum there is a thoughtful discussion of Juan Almeida's recent death, with Larry Hancock, among others.

Linked at: http://www.jfklancerforum.com/dc/dcboard.p...6&mode=full

Larry propounds a few interesting ideas of what the JMWAVE report of November 28, 1963 could mean in the context of Lamar Waldron and Thomas Hartmann's theory of a December 1, 1963 plan for a coup in Cuba under the codename AMWORLD, as discussed in Legacy of Secrecy and Ultimate Sacrifice.

Bill Kelly, do you have a link to the November 28, 1963 JMWAVE document on MaryFerrell.org? Thanks.

Steve

Hi Steve,

No, I don't have a link to the document but I will try to find one.

I find it telling that Lamar Waldron has known about this document since before the second paperback and revised edition of his book, yet we have no response from him about it.

Larry certainly speculates on the various possibilities, more speculation than I've ever seen Larry engaged in, but I agree with his analysis.

The way I look at it however, is there was only one STING - and JFK was the victim, and from all indications, this STING was originally set up with Castro as the MARK, but at some point it was switched, and JFK got what was set up for Castro.

Now Lamar has taken this one step further, and places his bets on the Mafia being the org and Rosselli, Giancana and Marcello as being the individuals who pulled the switcheroo and were responsible for what happened at Dealey Plaza - while I'm not so sure.

I seem to think that those responsible for the contingency plans for a coup in Cuba - including Fitzgerald of CIA/JMWAVE (having replaced Harvey/Rosselli), and Gen. Krulak (Cuban counterinsurgency Ops) and LeMay (Temp. Chair JCS), in the spring and summer of 1963, long after the CIA/Mafia plots were discarded, were utilizing a Valkyrie style plan that was originally aimed at Castro but retargeted to JFK at Dallas.

Part of the plan, per Valkyrie, was to lay the blame for the assassination on Communists and Castro, and those who propagate this disinformation can be tied directly to those responsible for the assassination.

So me and Lamar aren't far apart, other than he is married to the idea that the Mafia hijacked the plot, while I believe the Mafia plots are a diversion, and those really responsible were those who devised the contingency plans for a coup in Cuba.

Nor do I understand why they have to promote a theory rather than just search for the truth.

BK