The Education Forum

uploading attachments

Peter,

In another thread, you asked, "is it true, that our allotment is still 'used' by old attachments?!?! and why...are they not uploaded to the Forum? Anyone know the answer for sure. Sorry, Tosh, didn't mean to divert topic...but this is an important technical detail. If someone knows the answer, maybe start a new thread on it."

If you look above the thread box, you see a menu list that says, My Controls, View new posts, etc.

Click on My Controls.

On the left hand side table of contents, look towards the bottom and click on "manage attachments."

You can click on any or all of them and at the bottom, click on "delete selected attachments."

That way, you can free up storage space.

It looks like we are limited to 87.89mb of storage.

Steve Thomas

Peter,

In another thread, you asked, "is it true, that our allotment is still 'used' by old attachments?!?! and why...are they not uploaded to the Forum? Anyone know the answer for sure. Sorry, Tosh, didn't mean to divert topic...but this is an important technical detail. If someone knows the answer, maybe start a new thread on it."

If you look above the thread box, you see a menu list that says, My Controls, View new posts, etc.

Click on My Controls.

On the left hand side table of contents, look towards the bottom and click on "manage attachments."

You can click on any or all of them and at the bottom, click on "delete selected attachments."

That way, you can free up storage space.

It looks like we are limited to 87.89mb of storage.

Steve Thomas

Hi Steve.

My Storage space is only 400kb.

I have to delete my attachments every couple of days in order to be able to post newer pics.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY I BOTHER. !

I have to delete my attachments every couple of days in order to be able to post newer pics.

I have added to your storage space. All you needed to do was to send me a polite email and I would have sorted it out straight away.

Another option is linking to remotely stored files. There are numerous free photo and file hosting sites. I would suggest using seperate hosts or at least seperate accounts for your personal files/photos and and the stuff you post on forums. I heard a 2nd or 3rd hand story (don't know for sure that it's true) that on another forum somebody hacked into another member's photo hosting account and posted some of the other member's personal photos on the forum.

Edited by Len Colby

I have added to your storage space. All you needed to do was to send me a polite email and I would have sorted it out straight away.

Hi John.

I actually did sent you a polite email about a year ago, requesting some upload space, i think at the time you said that Andy was on holidays, and you would try and arrange it after he came back.

Thanks for the space you have graciously provided, that will be an enormous help when i am trying to post my Images.

Robin.

Robin,

I hope you don't stop. You always have such interesting stuff.

Steve

Thanks Steve/Len

Steve, i always enjoy reading your posts.

I have doubled the available space for uploads in the members group

Ahh.. that's wonderful, thank you Andy. Just some observations: having been forced to use a small space has taught me to optimise files. For many 'presentations' it's not necessary to post the image as prepared in order to get a point across. About 75% jpg really shows as clearly as 100% and is much smaller. There are a number of freeware utilities around that will web optimise images. For example Image Analyzer (which is a good one to have anyway) http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/ no oubt there are others that have easier features or better help files to ge it done.

A topic page that becomes heavily loaded with large files tend to begin to load very slowly and also eats up bandwidth. So it's probably a good idea (except when loading big pics like Robin does for example where one wants the full 100% ideally) to always optimise.

Edited by John Dolva