The Education Forum

Was JFK's Secret Service Detail compromised?

Guest Eugene B. Connolly

Guest Mark Valenti

Compromised or not, these photos show that JFK's security during motorcades was mixed -- there are high, unprotected windows, seemingly random parallel limo protection, and JFK standing, making for an easy target. While the events of Dallas were horrific, JFK's motorcade security on 11-22 doesn't seem vastly different from some of his trips.

Mark,

Thanks for those photos. As can be seen, one thing that was usual in motorcades was JFK's military aide sitting in the middle of the front seat. In Dallas, General McHugh rode instead at the back of the motorcade along with JFK's doctor.

Needless to say, someone sitting between Kellerman and Greer would have been inconvenient in case someone had to shoot through the windshield.

Ron

Mark,

Thanks for those photos. As can be seen, one thing that was usual in motorcades was JFK's military aide sitting in the middle of the front seat. In Dallas, General McHugh rode instead at the back of the motorcade along with JFK's doctor.

Needless to say, someone sitting between Kellerman and Greer would have been inconvenient in case someone had to shoot through the windshield.

Ron

Like this windshield?

Edited by Peter McGuire

Guest Mark Valenti
Peter,

Yes, that was the photo of Greer that I remembered seeing. Thanks.

Ron

Here he is with a trophy.

Mark, Do you know the date and circumstances of this photo?

I'll have to look into it - I'm sure I have the reference somewhere.

Peter,

Ron

FWIW, Reading Mr. Palamara's book "Survivors Guilt", I have found that he goes into great detail concerning alot of the answers to alot of peoples questions concerning what went on, who was involved in the security, and who made the final desicions concerning JFK's protection. Very good book that covers the nagging questions that people have been asking for years about the SS protection on the fateful Dallas trip. The personal interveiws of most of the agents involved is very revealing. Having the pleasure of reading it on line now is very nice. Read it if you have the time.

thanks--smitty

Peter,

Ron

FWIW, Reading Mr. Palamara's book "Survivors Guilt", I have found that he goes into great detail concerning alot of the answers to alot of peoples questions concerning what went on, who was involved in the security, and who made the final desicions concerning JFK's protection. Very good book that covers the nagging questions that people have been asking for years about the SS protection on the fateful Dallas trip. The personal interveiws of most of the agents involved is very revealing. Having the pleasure of reading it on line now is very nice. Read it if you have the time.

thanks--smitty

Edited by Peter McGuire

• 8 months later...
A final question: Is there any evidence that Jack Ruby or David Ferrie were present at this drinking 'session'? If memory serves...I recall reading that Jack Ruby knew the owner of the bar where the Secret Service drank the night before/morning of the assassination. Would it be fair to say that Jack Ruby may have visited the place on occasion and indeed probably at the time in question?

EBC

I was told by another researcher that Dallas was a dry city -- Ruby didn't even sell alcohol in his Carousel Club. The men just went to see women stripping. And Dallas was proud that there was no alcohol. So how did the SS get the alcohol? From another county?

Kathy