The Education Forum

can't post a photo?

Guest Mark Valenti

I had nothing to do with creating the latest version of the software. It seems to me to be greatly inferior to the previous version.

If you don't keep your forum current with the latest software updates your forum become susceptible to hackers very quickly. I have found this out the hard way in the past.

I am sure even those with a natural conservative outlook will come to terms with the changes eventually

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had nothing to do with creating the latest version of the software. It seems to me to be greatly inferior to the previous version.

If you don't keep your forum current with the latest software updates your forum become susceptible to hackers very quickly. I have found this out the hard way in the past.

I am sure even those with a natural conservative outlook will come to terms with the changes eventually

Andy, this is a serious question to you: do you have any interest at all in helping users be able to use the forum effectively, or are you primarily interested in opportunities for zippy one-liners?

Security updates don't require retooling the interface in ways that are non-standard and platform-exclusive. It's the cosmetics that have broken functionality, not security issues.

So my next serious question is are you going to do anything about it or not?

Ashton

Andy, this is a serious question to you: do you have any interest at all in helping users be able to use the forum effectively, or are you primarily interested in opportunities for zippy one-liners?

Security updates don't require retooling the interface in ways that are non-standard and platform-exclusive. It's the cosmetics that have broken functionality, not security issues.

So my next serious question is are you going to do anything about it or not?

Ashton

It appears the forum is also broken using Mac OSX and Microsoft Internet Explorer as well.

The issue seems to be browser and script-based plug-in related. I do not have access to Macs, so I'm not able to test Safari. However, I did test various flavors of browsers on both Windows and Linux platforms.

My experiences:

With Firefox 2.0 and "No Script" add-on installed, I initially did NOT see the drop-down menus, nor did I have the area to add attachments. This site was specifically ALLOWED by no-script, so I thought it might be browser related. However, trying the same function on my Linux system (also Firefox 2.0), when I allowed the scripts, everything worked. I then disabled and immediately re-enabled scripts on my windows system, and everything seems to be working as it should.

With Firefox 2.0 with no add-ons installed, everything worked properly.

With Internet Explorer 6 (with latest service pack), everything worked properly.

With Internet Explorer 7, everything worked properly.

With Opera (v. 9.02), everything worked properly.

(I'm currently downloading several other browsers to test. I'll update this post accordingly)

**EDIT**

With Netscape 8.1.2, everything worked properly.

With Firefox 1.0.2, everything worked properly.

With Firefox 1.5.x, everything worked properly

I'll attempt to replicate the problem with IE. All the systems which I tried that ran IE worked without issue.

So -- it appears that if you have anything installed that attempts to block or evaluate scripting, it may be necessary to reset (or disable/re-enable for this site) the add-on/plug-in for proper operation.

UPDATE: testing selected functions

Working colors, working fonts, different sizes...

Special texteffects...

Bold, Italic, Underline and, oh yes... smiley face :unsure:

Upload and include an image:

(this is the smallest image I had handy)

Edited by Frank Agbat

Guest Mark Valenti
The issue seems to be browser and script-based plug-in related. I do not have access to Macs, so I'm not able to test Safari. However, I did test various flavors of browsers on both Windows and Linux platforms.

My experiences:

With Firefox 2.0 and "No Script" add-on installed, I initially did NOT see the drop-down menus, nor did I have the area to add attachments. This site was specifically ALLOWED by no-script, so I thought it might be browser related. However, trying the same function on my Linux system (also Firefox 2.0), when I allowed the scripts, everything worked. I then disabled and immediately re-enabled scripts on my windows system, and everything seems to be working as it should.

With Internet Explorer 6 (with latest service pack), everything worked properly.

(I'm currently downloading several other browsers to test. I'll update this post accordingly)

**EDIT**

With Netscape 8.1.2, everything wored properly.

So -- it appears that if you have anything installed that attempts to block or evaluate scripting, it may be necessary to reset (or disable/re-enable for this site) the add-on/plug-in for proper operation.

Frank, same with me - at first Firefox didn't read the full menu but now it does. Don't know about Macs.

the forum has been converted without notice or explanation to a site

without photos.

Jack

If only I could convert this forum to one which is 95% free of idiots :lol: .

You CAN do everything you used to in the old version and I regret to reflect that you probably will.

"If only I could convert this forum to one which is 95% free of idiots :lol: .

You CAN do everything you used to in the old version and I regret to reflect that you probably will."

And, since I can no longer use color coding to quote, I've now resorted to bolding it, which makes it seem as if I'm yelling at you.

Hey, Andy. That's what I appreciate about you. Your unbridled, brutal honesty in describing those of us who are members of Simkins' section of the forum. And yeah, I know. If the shoe fits..., right? :unsure:

Mark,

The "reply" page suddenly looks different - are we operating under a new software system? I can't find a way to post a photo. Thanks.

Try hitting your reload button.

When I first tried to post on a new topic, the option for uploading a photo wasn't there, but when I hit my reload button, it was.

Steve Thomas

I have to admit that I am a conservative when it comes to things that work well. For example, the original NHS. However, I am a radical when I can see things definitely need changing.

Any idea of how you get the text to be in different colours or how to upload images from your computer?

What of global attachment limits? Is the only available option to find and delete older attachments so I can upload others? I'm down to under 1K available space.

Some other questions: why would someone want to add hidden text to a message? How and why would someone use a codebox? LOL The acronym function seems like something pretty useful (hover your mouse over the red text above), but it doesn't seem - using the Post Preview function anyway - to have anything that sets it off by default (e.g., color, underline, etc.) so someone knows there's something "behind" it.

Having logged on after looking at the forum as a guest it seems that seeing a number of feaures/formatting and the viewing of images is not possible as a guest. IOW a visitor cannot see what logged on members can.

I have to admit that I am a conservative when it comes to things that work well. For example, the original NHS. However, I am a radical when I can see things definitely need changing.

Any idea of how you get the text to be in different colours or how to upload images from your computer?

John...Mr. Walker seems intent on making your forum an inhospitable place to

those he does not like. He suffers from a personality disorder for which he should

seek professional help. Or maybe he should take out his venomous hostility in some

vigorous exercise like wrestling or boxing.

Jack

My experiences:

**EDIT**

With Netscape 8.1.2, everything worked properly.

With Firefox 1.0.2, everything worked properly.

With Firefox 1.5.x, everything worked properly

I'll attempt to replicate the problem with IE. All the systems which I tried that ran IE worked without issue.

UPDATE: testing selected functions

Working colors, working fonts, different sizes...

Special texteffects...

Bold, Italic, Underline and, oh yes... smiley face :unsure:

Upload and include an image:

(this is the smallest image I had handy)

I guess I will have to depart the forum. I am on a 10-year-old Macintosh G3 running OS 9.2

and using MSIE which is adequate for all my heretofore needs. Why should I spend $2000+

for a new system just to access this new non-inclusive software? If I cannot post images,

there is no reason for me to be here. Dumb!

Jack

Mark,
The "reply" page suddenly looks different - are we operating under a new software system? I can't find a way to post a photo. Thanks.

Try hitting your reload button.

When I first tried to post on a new topic, the option for uploading a photo wasn't there, but when I hit my reload button, it was.

Steve Thomas

On Mac OS X running Safari, the reload button alone doesn't do it, but I found that by clearing the history and emptying the cache, then restarting Safari, the new interface works as I believe is expected.

All the drop-down menus now are functional, and the Attachments area now appears below the text editing window.

There Andy: you are vindicated, and I'm braced for whatever number and size of brickbats you'd like to throw.

I'm still concerned about Jack's inability to get it to work in OS 9. If anyone can suggest a solution I'd sure appreciate it. I know that without any user-interface gadgets at all it's possible to do everything those do just by entering the codes manually in the text (which is what I do about 90% of the time anyway, except for colors because I'm too lazy to go look up the color codes). I also know, though, that many people seem to find that daunting if not downright impossible to grasp. But I sure don't want to see Jack leave this forum.

Ashton

Edited by Ashton Gray

John...Mr. Walker seems intent on making your forum an inhospitable place to

those he does not like. He suffers from a personality disorder for which he should

seek professional help. Or maybe he should take out his venomous hostility in some

vigorous exercise like wrestling or boxing.

Jack

One of the more unusual requests for help I have read. However here is the help page you need you poisonous old man

The Linux browsers that I was able to test worked flawlessly. I have not had time to test Konqueror, and I have no way to test various OS 9 and OS X implementations on the Mac -- sorry.

That said, I rather doubt that a new system purchase is needed. Perhaps some browser settings, or at the most a browser upgrade is needed, but not a new system or OS...