The Education Forum

Top 25 Censored Stories of 2007

“Project Censored is one of the organizations that we should listen to, to be assured that our newspapers and our broadcasting outlets are practicing thorough and ethical journalism.”

– Walter Cronkite

http://www.projectcensored.org/censored_2007/index.htm

"Project Censored is one of the organizations that we should listen to, to be assured that our newspapers and our broadcasting outlets are practicing thorough and ethical journalism."

– Walter Cronkite

Just when I thought Project Censored was radical and revolutionary, along comes an endorsement from Uncle Walt, who as director of CBS News did everything in his power to endorse the findings of the Warren Commission and as spokesman for the World Federalists, spoke on behalf of WF founder Cord Meyer, head of the CIA's International Organizations Division, Ruth Hyde Paine Young (Michael's mom) and Priscilla Johnson McMillan, erstwhile NANA correspondent.

I hope Walt's endorsement doesn't distract from the actual content, of which #14 and #24 - re: Brown & Root and Halliburtain, bridges the gap between LBJ and GWB.

BK

"Project Censored is one of the organizations that we should listen to, to be assured that our newspapers and our broadcasting outlets are practicing thorough and ethical journalism."

– Walter Cronkite

Just when I thought Project Censored was radical and revolutionary, along comes an endorsement from Uncle Walt, who as director of CBS News did everything in his power to endorse the findings of the Warren Commission and as spokesman for the World Federalists, spoke on behalf of WF founder Cord Meyer, head of the CIA's International Organizations Division, Ruth Hyde Paine Young (Michael's mom) and Priscilla Johnson McMillan, erstwhile NANA correspondent.

BK

Bill - are you suggesting that all WF members were necessarily spooks (or fools)?

I didn't know before about Cronkite's asscoiation with the World Federalists. It's interesting. Also, I have little doubt the CIA had inflitrated the organization - probably from within its core.

But should it really be taken as an automatic negative that someone supported world federalism?

Genuine world federalism - one person, one value, one ultimate jurisdiction, worldwide - makes kinda sense to me.

Not far off JFK's agenda either - if one takes Kennedy at his word over the remarkable detailed disarmarment proposals he presented personally, as US President, to the UN General Assembly.

Edited by Sid Walker

Bill - are you suggesting that all WF members were necessarily spooks (or fools)?

I didn't know before about Cronkite's asscoiation with the World Federalists. It's interesting. Also, I have little doubt the CIA had inflitrated the organization - probably from within its core.

But should it really be taken as an automatic negative that someone supported world federalism?

Genuine world federalism - one person, one value, one ultimate jurisdiction, worldwide - makes kinda sense to me.

Not far off JFK's agenda either - if one takes Kennedy at his word over the remarkable detailed disarmarment proposals he presented personally, as US President, to the UN General Assembly.

Well Sid,

I'm not suggesting anything, spooks or fools.

I don't think it was so much infiltrated by the CIA, like the KKK was by the FBI, but more like started by Cord Meyer, one of Allen Dulles' top deputies, so I imagine they pretty much controlled the org.

Whether you support the idea of a world governent or a strong UN is beside the point. A more passionate and violent group of Texans were against the UN (and still are today), physically assaulted Stevenson a few weeks before JFK was shot. The night of the assassination Ruby and Larry Crafard (a known Oswald impersonator), took photos (ostensibly for Gordon McLendon) of the Impeach Earl Warren billboard, in the apparent belief it had something to do with the assassination.

So if CIA official Cord Meyer starts an organization that includes the mother of the accused assassin's patron and his wife's official biographer, then I'm interested, without casting judgement on the goals and policies of the org.

For me, I'm more of an independent libertarian who believes that the government that governs least governs best, and I don't think I'd respond to the orders of a world government in a place like Camden, N.J., though the UN troops are probably welcome in Somalia.

There was something peculiar going on with the pro and anti-UN groups in November, 1963, which has some sort of bearing on the assassination.

BK

There was something peculiar going on with the pro and anti-UN groups in November, 1963, which has some sort of bearing on the assassination.

BK

An interesting aside, Bill.

Can you say more?

Other than the victim had a long running affiar with Cord Meyer's wife?

I'd also say more about Walt and CBS News, how they ignored evidence of conspiracy and how they promised to donate all of their assassination related out-takes to the NARB - according to ARRB Final Report, but last time I checked hadn't bothered to do so.

Staying on topic, I think the Brown & Root relations to LBJ and the Kellog, Brown & Root/Halliburtain ties to GHWB and GWB II are most certainly relevant to the discussion, being the largest financial benefactors from the assassination and 9/11.

BK

The climate changes which will result from global warming (#3) will force the media to face this issue, imo. Elevated ocean temperatures will have consequences which can't be ignored. The problem has always been dissenting opinions from within the scientific community about what changes will occur. Attempts to cut greenhouse emmissions also meet with resistance from those who claim such restrictions would cause economic hardship. Agreements and protocols are routinely ignored, by rich and poor countries alike. Some type of world government is the only way by which a coherent strategy could be followed, and that isn't likely anytime soon.

There's also the body of opinion which believes it's all too late anyway.

The matter of KBR's contracting for the overpriced construction of detention centres (#14) within the US is an issue which should really cause US citizens to be demonstrating on the streets, since many of those citizens will be housed inside them one day. Of all the western countries, it is the US which is lurching toward authoritarian rule more than any other. The same US which tries to preach the gospel of democracy to an increasingly disbelieving world. It's all very ironic.

Edited by Mark Stapleton