The Education Forum

The assassination of Julius Ceaser.

Guest Stephen Turner

Guest Stephen Turner

There now exists a body of evidence that casts hugh doubt on the official report of Ceasers death(most of which we get from Shakespeare anyway) And further who really benifited from his assasination.

Documents, recently released by the Vatican, give precise details of the autopsy caried out on Ceaser. These indicate that there were only three stab wounds, rather than the six, to eight that forms part of the official story, also these wounds had the appearence of sword stabs, rather than the daggers his assassins were reported to have used. An unbloodied dagger found next to his body was the wrong shape, and size to have caused any of the wounds.

Shortly after it was reported than Brutus was murdered by "the mob"No autopsy was ever performed on Brutus so we can only spculate whether Roman swords, rather than the mob killed him as they now appear to have killed his good friend Ceaser. As a senator Brutus had access to the highest levels of Government, and would have been in a good position to know who really had Ceaser assassinated, and why. Brutus increasingly looks like a scapegoat (or patsy) whose death killed two birds with one stone.

Outside the walls of the Senate there was an embankment, this was better known, believe it or not, as the Grassy Knoll. several unidentified persons were observed there just prior to the assassiantion, when asked they identified themselves as part of Ceasers legion. Behind the embankment wre numerous chariot tracks, and copious horse droppings, indicating they had been waitng there for some considerable time. Later, a check at the Legions encampment. (no soldiers were allowed into the city)showed that no men were assigned to enate duty, and no chariots had been drawn from the pool.

There now exists a body of evidence that casts hugh doubt on the official report of Ceasers death(most of which we get from Shakespeare anyway) And further who really benifited from his assasination.

Steven, Thank you for posting this. I am watching the first series of the HBO/BBC drama ROME, with Ciaran Hinds as Caesar and the amazing Polly Walker as his ruthless neice. The Caesar assassination has not been contemplated in the first four episodes I have just seen, so these newly released documents sound very very interesting as background for the story that is about to unfold. The program so far has been a revelation to me, since I never studied this period in any great detail, and my clearest memory is Marlon Brando as Mark Anthony. (james Purefoy plays Mark Anthony in this program and he is almost a dead ringer for Brando himself.)

Can you direct us to any good source(s) on these new documents?

There's an old document, which I've long since lost, that I would love to read again. It's Mad Magazine's version of the movie "Julius Caesar" in which Brando played Mark Antony. All I remember about Mad's version is when Caesar says, "Et tu, Brute?", and Brutus replies, "No, I ain't et yet."