The Education Forum

Phil Graham

I've been reading about Katherine Graham in her book, Personal History . She was the daughter of the publisher of the Washington Post. She married Phil Graham, who suffered from manic-depression, and whom she gave the paper to run. He was hospitalized for mental instability and one day, claiming he was much better, she picked him up and they went to their farmhouse in the Virginia countryside.

He had an affair with Robin Webb and changed his will, leaving the "other" woman everything.

Almost out of nowhere, Phil Graham went to a downstairs bathroom that day at the farmhouse and apparently shot himself with a shotgun. The question begs: did he kill himself, did Katherine order it or did someone tell her, "We'll handle the situation"? Since Phil Graham had not been in his right mind, the former will was honored. This secured for Katherine the family business, the Post.

Some months later after Phil's demise, President Kennedy was killed. Graham had been a great supporter for LBJ as Vice President, but he liked Kennedy. An example of Graham's illness when he was in the oval office with Kennedy: he suddenly picked up the red phone to the Pentagon, yelling, "Scramble the planes." I would like to know opinions, if anyone knows more about this: Were Kennedy and Graham's deaths related? Some believe LBJ killed Kennedy. e.g., The Men Who Killed Kennedy. Would he have killed his good friend Phil Graham too? Or was his death only related to the Washington Post?

Also Mary Pinchot Meyer allegedly had an affair with President Kennedy. I understand that though the Grahams knew Mary Meyer, she wasn't a relative of theirs and she dabbled in LSD. She was killed on a wooded path after President Kennedy's demise. Why?

Thank You,

Kathy

Edited by Kathleen Collins

I've been reading about Katherine Graham in her book, Personal History daughter of the publisher of the Washington Post. She married Phil Graham, who suffered from manic-depressive, and whom she gave the paper to run. He was hospitalized for mental instability and one day, claiming he was much better, she picked him up and they went to their farmhouse in the Virginia countryside.

He had an affair with Robin Webb and changed his will, leaving the "other" woman everything.

Almost out of nowhere, Phil Graham went to a downstairs bathroom that day at the farmhouse and apparently shot himself with a shotgun. The question begs: did he kill himself, did Katherine order it or did someone tell her, "We'll handle the situation"? Since Phil Graham had not been in his right mind, the former will was honored. This secured for Katherine the family business, the Post.

Some months later after Phil's demise, President Kennedy was killed. Graham had been a great supporter for LBJ as Vice President, but he liked Kennedy. An example of Graham's illness when he was in the oval office with Kennedy: he suddenly picked up the red phone to the Pentagon, yelling, "Scramble the planes." I would like to know opinions, if anyone knows more about this: Were Kennedy and Graham's deaths related? Some believe LBJ killed Kennedy. e.g., The Men Who Killed Kennedy. Would he have killed his good friend Phil Graham too? Or was his death only related to the Washington Post?

Also Mary Pinchot Meyer allegedly had an affair with President Kennedy. I understand that though the Grahams knew Mary Meyer, she wasn't a relative of theirs and she dabbled in LSD. She was killed on a wooded path after President Kennedy's demise. Why?

Thank You,

Kathy

Very interesting, Kathy. I had not known that about Graham. My wife has that book; I may

read it.

Jack

Kathy,

Phil Grahm's primary connection to the assassination was his role in the real coup d'etat - the nomination of LBJ as VP at the 1960 Democratic Convention in LA, where Graham was instrumental in getting LBJ/John Connally and Company to take the second spot.

LBJ initially didn't want to be VP, but when it was pointed out that one in five - 20% of presidents die in office, LBJ reasoned he could improve on those odds.

What happened at Dealey Plaza was the coup d'grace.

BK