The Education Forum

Hoover's 11-25-66 mea culpa

Pat Speer

In the CIA's 1-4-67 memorandum on disseminating info on the Kennedy assassination, it says that on 11-25-66 Hoover admitted the FBI's early reports were mistaken about the back wound bullet falling out. I've been looking all over for an online article about this 11-25-66 press release or statement. Does anyone have it? I'm anxious to read Hoover's exact words.

P.S. It's certainly no coincidence that Hoover's mea culpa came on the same day that newspapers carried Connally's statement that the Warren Commission critics were "journalistic scavengers" and also on the same day that Boswell's new and improved face sheet moving the back wound to the back of the neck was published. It's obvious that the Johnson Ad was fighting back against Life Magazine's call for a new investigation. Billings and Thompson, who some have since called disinformationists, had shaken the government to its core.

Pat,

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I will post it anyway. It comes from November 26, 1966.

Sidebar: There is a curious mention of the FBI having never altered the Zapruder film. I wasn't aware that accusations had been made at this point given the film had not been publically screened.

James

Pat,

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I will post it anyway. It comes from November 26, 1966.

Sidebar: There is a curious mention of the FBI having never altered the Zapruder film. I wasn't aware that accusations had been made at this point given the film had not been publically screened.

James

Thanks, James, that's exactly what I've been looking for. In retrospect, it's clear Hoover/Connally and Boswell were trotted out to appease the masses in an effort to cut off a new investigation. The next step was the 1-20-67 re-inspection in tandem with the CBS and AP investigations. The step after that was the Clark Panel. Question: why was LBJ, in approach to the 68 election, so DESPERATE to prevent a new investigation? Was it purely for political reasons, to try to hide Kennedy's corpse and cut down on the sympathy vote for Bobby? Or did he have other concerns? Like prison?

P.S. the reference to Zap alteration is probably a reference to the missing frames, but might also be a response to Lifton 's noting of the reversed frames in the WC volumes.

P.P.S. I just love that Hoover describes a wound below the shoulder on the same day Boswell creates a new face sheet, and moves the wound to the neck. Left hand meet the right hand.

Edited by Pat Speer

Harold Weisberg's Whitewash had been recently published. Among other things, Weisberg noted the missing frames and the amateurish splice of Z212. Perhaps Hoover was referring to some of Weisberg's observations.

Harold Weisberg's Whitewash had been recently published. Among other things, Weisberg noted the missing frames and the amateurish splice of Z212. Perhaps Hoover was referring to some of Weisberg's observations.

Thanks, Michael, I believe you're correct. Weisberg did make note of the Z-film splices in Whitewash.

Edited by Pat Speer