The Education Forum

Truman vs. Kennedy

Former President Harry S Truman holds a news conference to explain why he resigned as a delegate to the 1960 Democratic Convention and accuses the Kennedy camp of turning the convention into a "prearranged affair". In response, JFK holds his own press conference to answer the charges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJeFlB1Q8EA

Thank's for this Gil. It's not just entertainment, it helps one to gain a 'feel' for the time. Which is so important as things have changed, and those who were not alive at those times will tend to view those events through the window of the present, and judge acoordingly.

What strikes me with this one is that Kennedy firmly declares himself a force to be reckoned with in a straightforward yet quite witty manner. I think his opponents at an early stage came to know that he was not for sale. Truman speaks of priviledge as a coming norm, yet Kennedy refused the presidential salary, and was elected while his campaign funds were in the red. Essentially, 'the times they were a'changing' and the 'old guard' were getting nervous.

I agree, John. I have several documentary-style videos on my Youtube Channel that I hope will help to educate the younger folks out there about what life was like back then.

It is important for any student of the JFK assassination to understand WHY he was murdered, the forces that stood against him and the politics of his opponents.

It is equally important for youngsters to understand that Kennedy was hated from the outset, due to the comments made by his dad when he was Ambassador to the Court of St. James, and JFK's own service on the McClellan Commission.

Protestants were nervous of his Catholicism, fearing he would come under the control of the Pope.

Perhaps the most extreme Protestants believed he might even be the Antichrist.

At any rate, once in office, people thought they could push him around. He was pushed into the Bay of Pigs, resulting in a disaster. The Russians pushed him into the Missile Crisis, but they were able to come to a compromise. The Steel companies pushed him, and he pushed back. The blacks were pushing for Civil rights legislation.

For the last ten years, I've been studying American History 1961-63 and it seems like everyone was trying to take advantage of the guy.

Hopefully, these documentary videos will help students nderstand what he was up against.

Former President Harry S Truman holds a news conference to explain why he resigned as a delegate to the 1960 Democratic Convention and accuses the Kennedy camp of turning the convention into a "prearranged affair". In response, JFK holds his own press conference to answer the charges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJeFlB1Q8EA

Great footage Gil, thanks!

Sort of funny too. John Kennedy had Joe Kennedy backing him, and Truman has Boss Pendergast to install him into office so he could pontificate about democracy. I notice Truman didn't mention Pendergast in his speech. :)