The Education Forum

TSBD facade

Guest Mark Valenti

Guest Mark Valenti

The building has undergone substantial renovation over the years - but does anyone know what was behind the decorative facade on the street level? Was that a parking garage? Basement? Or was it just decoration in front of a brick wall? Thanks.

The building has undergone substantial renovation over the years - but does anyone know what was behind the decorative facade on the street level? Was that a parking garage? Basement? Or was it just decoration in front of a brick wall? Thanks.

I'm guessing the Sixth Floor Museum is behind the first floor facade.

Even the floor is a lie.

:ice

Guest Mark Valenti

I heard from Mr. Mack who said that the windows we see now are the same windows from '63.

But as I look at photos from '63, there's a decorative facade in front of the windows. It doesn't seem possible to tell, from the street, what's going on beyond the facade.

That means a first floor window could have been open and occupied by a shooter without being seen from anyone in the street - ??

Guest Mark Valenti
The decorative concrete blocks had been removed when the county remodeled the

building. As I recall, Oliver Stone had them temporarily replaced for filming, and

then had to remove them again.

Jack

Thanks for that. I have heard further that the angle from a first floor window would have been impossible for several reasons - chiefly the human wall of onlookers.

The decorative concrete blocks had been removed when the county remodeled the

building. As I recall, Oliver Stone had them temporarily replaced for filming, and

then had to remove them again.

Jack

Thanks for that. I have heard further that the angle from a first floor window would have been impossible for several reasons - chiefly the human wall of onlookers.

Hi Mark.

I seem to recall Gary Mack telling me once, that there was a basement in the TSBD. ?

I also recall seeing a photo of inside the first floor, i will try and find it.

Edited by Robin Unger

The WC released a few of the floor plans. They were lettered and the lettering indicates there was a floor A which would have been the basement. Whether the elevator went to the basement I don't know.

(image: collage of the floor plans with the 'missing ones' assumed)

The first floor is raised above street level (remember the front steps!). The ground floor

is a "partial basement". Back in the 70s Robert Cutler and I were "touring" the empty

building, and went down there...but couldn't see much because it was rather dark and

there was no electricity at that time. I seem to remember that the Hertz sign had been

stored down there.

Jack

In this WC photo of the dock it appears to show a " basement window" or a " goods ramp" just near the boot of the car.

In the place i used to work at in the 70's we had a similar opening on our building, it contained a conveyor belt to take HEAVY rolls of cable and such, down to our basement were it would be stored.

photo showing the approx basement level on houston st.

Edited by Robin Unger

Guest Mark Valenti

Still looking for any evidence that police searched the basement. So far I'm finding only references to people running around upstairs.