The Education Forum

Planned Fort Dix Attack

What I find interesting about this case is that the operation was foiled by FBI infiltration. It has been my impression that FBI infiltrators in an operation almost guarantees the operation's success (e.g. the first WTC bombing, and according to one theory the OKC bombing).

Those in the USA who are interested in such undercover infiltrators should catch the PBS screening of the documentary film The Camden 28, tonight (Sept. 11).

Others can read up it at the web site:

http://www.camden28.org/

This crime - theft of draft records, and trial took place in the same Camden, N.J. Federal Court House that the Fort Dix Six trial will be held.

Bob Hardy, ex-USMC, was the infiltrator in this case, and provided the idea, the tools, the get-away truck, and ducktape.

Those indicted, including one of my high school teachers and Catholic priest Father Devlin, were found not guilty.

BK

What I find interesting about this case is that the operation was foiled by FBI infiltration. It has been my impression that FBI infiltrators in an operation almost guarantees the operation's success (e.g. the first WTC bombing, and according to one theory the OKC bombing).

Those in the USA who are interested in such undercover infiltrators should catch the PBS screening of the documentary film The Camden 28, tonight (Sept. 11).

Others can read up it at the web site:

http://www.camden28.org/

This crime - theft of draft records, and trial took place in the same Camden, N.J. Federal Court House that the Fort Dix Six trial will be held.

Bob Hardy, ex-USMC, was the infiltrator in this case, and provided the idea, the tools, the get-away truck, and ducktape.

Those indicted, including one of my high school teachers and Catholic priest Father Devlin, were found not guilty.

BK

Having just seen Tony Giacchino's The Camden 28 for the second time, I'm now convinced it really is an important story, especially in regards to the role of undercover FBI agents and operatives and the court case that resulted in the aquital of those charged.

The acquital verdict, unanamous, came about because the judge instructed the jurty that if they decided the "government agents or informants creative or over-reaching participation was fundamentally unfair and shocking to the unversal sense of justice, then you may aquit without considering the disposition of any defendant."

As one of the jurors put it, in Camden street slang, "When the Big Cat didn't stop the Little Cat from climbing up the ladder, it was wrong."

In other words, by letting the crime continue beyond the conspiracy and allowing it to acutally take place, the government made it possible for the crime to happen.

The timing of the release of this fine documentary, which should be aired on PBS again over the next few weeks, is just right for consideration of the war in Iraq and the trial of the Fort Dix Six, which will include another FBI undercover informant/agent.

BK

Here's the PBS web site on the film, and there's some more details of the legal ramificaitons of the trial results in the interview with the film maker.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2007/camden28/

Did anybody else see this show?