The Education Forum

New Film may have strange parallels with JFK assassination.

Guest Eugene B. Connolly

Guest Eugene B. Connolly

A new film called Shooter recently released has strange parallels with the JFK assassination.....

Below is a review ( taken from a website) of the film:

Bob Lee Swagger (Mark Wahlberg), a former Marine scout sniper who had the ability to hit a target from a mile away, leaves the Corps after a mission goes terribly wrong. Swagger has become a cynical American Marine who believes that he was betrayed by his country. What Swagger didn't know was that he was on a secret mission working for a black-ops government organization with their own agenda about what America really needs. Swagger is contacted by retired Colonel Isaac Johnson (Danny Glover), who tells him that his country needs his special knowledge and expert skills as a sniper to stop an assassination attempt on the President. Swagger doesn't want to work for these guys,but his patriotism for his country makes him do it. Unfortunately, for Swagger this is the same black-ops group that left him for dead before. And as usual, they set him up and double-cross him again. Now the whole country thinks he was the one who tried to kill the President.

To prove his innocence, Swagger must find these people and learn the truth and take out his own revenge.

The film actually puts you in the shoes of a sniper under fire and shows how good he has to be not only as a marksman, but also in the face of danger. The movie doesn't pull any punches when he kills his targets from his long range position. The whole film is exciting and will keep you wondering what is going to happen next. There are several twists and turns on the conspiracy that seem plausible. However, I don't think the writers should have used oil as the old stand by as the reason for the mission. The movie was meant to entertain the audience, and it accomplished its mission. The two hours went by so fast, you will not even notice. There are some things that are hard to believe, but it is only a movie. Enjoy the thrilling action packed sequences and the beautiful scenery. The special effects are spectacular and awesome. (Paramount Pictures, Run time 2:04,

(review taken from here) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822854/

have a look here for the trailer

http://www.shootermovie.com/main.html

EBC

Edited by Eugene B. Connolly

You can watch Shooter for free online here. http://www.tv-links.co.uk/show.do/4/1528 I found it interesting at points, but only because of my interest in the assassination. As a cinematic experience, I found it quite poor. The plot was loose and the plot holes were many. Watch the first 45 minutes for the JFK parallels, everything after that it at your own expense.

John

Arguably the most accomplished film based on the JFK assassination back story (if I may use the Hollywood-friendly term) is "The Package." Tommie Lee Jones is the assassin, Gene Hackman is the NCO who finds himself drawn into the plot to kill GHW Bush and Gorbachev figures when they meet in Chicago.

There's even an LHO-based (loosely so) patsy set up by neo-Nazis, who in turn are being run by the top-level conspirators.

And here's where it's most interesting: Working in tandem to destroy detente are high ranking military and intelligence officers from BOTH sides.

NOW we're getting somewhere.

Charles