The Education Forum

file cabinets

Harry Weatherford Supplementary Investigation Report

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/weatherf.htm

I stayed with Mrs. Oswald and Mrs. Payne while the rest of the men searched the house. They found some literature on Cuban Freedom affairs and some small files and a blanket which looked to have been wrapped around a rifle.

In his Supplementary Investigation report filed with Sheriff Decker by Deputy J. L. Oxford on 11/23/63, Oxford says that in their search of the 2515 W. Fifth St. address, "We also found about 7 metal boxes which contained pamphlets and literature from abroad. Also, there were cameras and film found".

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/oxford1.htm

In his Supplementary Investigation Report filed by "Buddy" Walthers on 11/22/63 19H520, Walthers wrote, "After searching 2515 W. Fifth St. in Irving, “Upon searching this house, we found stacks of hand bills concerning “Cuba for Freedom” advertising, seeking publicity and support for Cuba. Also found was a set of metal file cabinets containing records that appeared to be names and activities of Cuban sympathizers. All of this information was confiscated and turned over to Captain Fritz of the Dallas Police Department and Secret Service Officers at the City Hall".

From FBI Report 6/18/64

Gemberling Report of 7/2/64 page 40

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...40&relPageId=46

On 6/18/64 Walthers was given a copy of his Supplementary Report of 11/22/63

He read it over and said he had no “additions, deletions, nor would he make any change to this report.”

DPD Officers Rose, Stovall and Adamcik were vague in their responses as to what was found at 1215 W. 5th and the list prepared on 11/23/63 of the property taken from that address does not contain any reference to “six or seven metal filing cabinets.”

Stoval Exhibit A in 21H596. This list was prepared by Stovall, Senkel, Potts and “2 FBI Agents.”

In his Warren Commission testimony 7H548-549, taken on July 23, 1964 Walthers testified: "then we found some little metal file cabinets---I don't know what kind you would call them---they would carry an 8 by 10 folder, all right, but with a single handle on top of it and the handle moves.

Mr. LIEBELER. About how many of them would you think there were?

Mr. WALTHERS. There were six or seven, I believe, and I put them all in the trunk of my car and we also found a box of pictures, a bunch of pictures that we taken.

Mr. LIEBELER. I have been advised that some story has developed that at some point that when you went out there you found seven file cabinets full of cards that had the names on them of pro-Castro sympathizers or something of that kind, but you don't remember seeing any of them?

Mr. WALTHERS. Well, that could have been one, but I didn't see it.

Mr. LIEBELER. There certainly weren't any seven file cabinets with the stuff you got out there or anything like that?

Mr. WALTHERS. I picked up all of these file cabinets and what all of them contained, I don't know myself to this day.

Mr. LIEBELER. As I was sitting here listening to your story, I could see where that story might have come from--you mentioned the "Fair Play for Cuba" leaflets that were in a barrel.

Mr. WALTHERS. That's right--we got a stack of them out of that barrel, but things get all twisted around.

Why did Walthers change his tune between June 18, 1964 and July 23rd? and was Attorney Wesley Liebeler trying to deflect attention away from those files?

Jim Garrison’s interview with Playboy:

http://www.jfklancer.com/Garrison3.html

Moreover, some of Oswald's anti-Castro friends from Miami and New Orleans showed up in Dallas in October of 1963. In a "Supplementary Investigation Report" filed on November 23, 1963, by Dallas policeman Buddy Walthers, an aide to Sheriff Bill Decker, Walthers stated: "I talked to Sorrels, the head of the Dallas Secret Service, I was advised that for the past few months at a house at 3128 Harlandale, some Cubans had been having meetings on the weekends and were possibly connected with the Freedom for Cuba Party of which Oswald was a member."

No attention was paid to Walther's report, and on November 26th, he complained: "I don't know what action the Secret Service has taken, but I learned today that some time between seven days before the President was shot and the day after he was shot, these Cubans moved from this house. My informant stated that subject Oswald had been to this house before."

(Actually, in his Report, Walthers said that HE advised Sorrells and Sweatt about the house on Harlendale)

Buddy Walthers Report is at 19h534

Why did the deputies from the Dallas County Sheriff's office make mention of these filing cabinets, but the officers from the Dallas City Police Department did not?

Steve Thomas

Hi Steve,

Five days after the assassination, Carl Freund had written a piece linking what was found in Oswald's place to 'red activity'. He quotes Walthers as saying, "we found five or six metal file cabinets filled with correspondence." Walters continued by saying, "we glanced in the cabinets and I recall we saw some letters on Communist party stationary."

Walters also claimed that they found film transparencies, several rolls of undeveloped film and $150 in cash. Given Oswald's lowly income, Walthers said that speculation increased over the source of the money.

FWIW.

James

Harry Weatherford Supplementary Investigation Report

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/weatherf.htm

I stayed with Mrs. Oswald and Mrs. Payne while the rest of the men searched the house. They found some literature on Cuban Freedom affairs and some small files and a blanket which looked to have been wrapped around a rifle.

In his Supplementary Investigation report filed with Sheriff Decker by Deputy J. L. Oxford on 11/23/63, Oxford says that in their search of the 2515 W. Fifth St. address, "We also found about 7 metal boxes which contained pamphlets and literature from abroad. Also, there were cameras and film found".

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/oxford1.htm

In his Supplementary Investigation Report filed by "Buddy" Walthers on 11/22/63 19H520, Walthers wrote, "After searching 2515 W. Fifth St. in Irving, “Upon searching this house, we found stacks of hand bills concerning “Cuba for Freedom” advertising, seeking publicity and support for Cuba. Also found was a set of metal file cabinets containing records that appeared to be names and activities of Cuban sympathizers. All of this information was confiscated and turned over to Captain Fritz of the Dallas Police Department and Secret Service Officers at the City Hall".

From FBI Report 6/18/64

Gemberling Report of 7/2/64 page 40

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...40&relPageId=46

On 6/18/64 Walthers was given a copy of his Supplementary Report of 11/22/63

He read it over and said he had no “additions, deletions, nor would he make any change to this report.”

DPD Officers Rose, Stovall and Adamcik were vague in their responses as to what was found at 1215 W. 5th and the list prepared on 11/23/63 of the property taken from that address does not contain any reference to “six or seven metal filing cabinets.”

Stoval Exhibit A in 21H596. This list was prepared by Stovall, Senkel, Potts and “2 FBI Agents.”

In his Warren Commission testimony 7H548-549, taken on July 23, 1964 Walthers testified: "then we found some little metal file cabinets---I don't know what kind you would call them---they would carry an 8 by 10 folder, all right, but with a single handle on top of it and the handle moves.

Mr. LIEBELER. About how many of them would you think there were?

Mr. WALTHERS. There were six or seven, I believe, and I put them all in the trunk of my car and we also found a box of pictures, a bunch of pictures that we taken.

Mr. LIEBELER. I have been advised that some story has developed that at some point that when you went out there you found seven file cabinets full of cards that had the names on them of pro-Castro sympathizers or something of that kind, but you don't remember seeing any of them?

Mr. WALTHERS. Well, that could have been one, but I didn't see it.

Mr. LIEBELER. There certainly weren't any seven file cabinets with the stuff you got out there or anything like that?

Mr. WALTHERS. I picked up all of these file cabinets and what all of them contained, I don't know myself to this day.

Mr. LIEBELER. As I was sitting here listening to your story, I could see where that story might have come from--you mentioned the "Fair Play for Cuba" leaflets that were in a barrel.

Mr. WALTHERS. That's right--we got a stack of them out of that barrel, but things get all twisted around.

Why did Walthers change his tune between June 18, 1964 and July 23rd? and was Attorney Wesley Liebeler trying to deflect attention away from those files?

Jim Garrison’s interview with Playboy:

http://www.jfklancer.com/Garrison3.html

Moreover, some of Oswald's anti-Castro friends from Miami and New Orleans showed up in Dallas in October of 1963. In a "Supplementary Investigation Report" filed on November 23, 1963, by Dallas policeman Buddy Walthers, an aide to Sheriff Bill Decker, Walthers stated: "I talked to Sorrels, the head of the Dallas Secret Service, I was advised that for the past few months at a house at 3128 Harlandale, some Cubans had been having meetings on the weekends and were possibly connected with the Freedom for Cuba Party of which Oswald was a member."

No attention was paid to Walther's report, and on November 26th, he complained: "I don't know what action the Secret Service has taken, but I learned today that some time between seven days before the President was shot and the day after he was shot, these Cubans moved from this house. My informant stated that subject Oswald had been to this house before."

(Actually, in his Report, Walthers said that HE advised Sorrells and Sweatt about the house on Harlendale)

Buddy Walthers Report is at 19h534

Why did the deputies from the Dallas County Sheriff's office make mention of these filing cabinets, but the officers from the Dallas City Police Department did not?

Steve Thomas

Steve, do you know if anyone asked the ARRB to look into what happened to these files?

Also, the reference to Oswald being a member of the Freedom for Cuba Party seems very familiar...was this the same org Wade said Oswald belonged to (I know Wade said Free Cuba Committee, but thought maybe it went by more than one name)?

Greg,

Steve, do you know if anyone asked the ARRB to look into what happened to these files?

Also, the reference to Oswald being a member of the Freedom for Cuba Party seems very familiar...was this the same org Wade said Oswald belonged to (I know Wade said Free Cuba Committee, but thought maybe it went by more than one name)?

No, I don't know about the ARRB. I know that the Dallas officials sent everything they had to the FBI who took pictures of it. What I would like to find is a copy of the evidence lists the FBI had.

I believe that it was called the Free Cuba Committee, but several people garbled the name. That's one of the things that caught my eye in the Deputy Sheriff's reports. Walthers referred to the literature as, "“Cuba for Freedom” advertising, seeking publicity and support for Cuba."

Weatherford referred to it as, "Cuban Freedom affairs".

Now, I know that fund raising appeals went out from SNFE – Alpha 66 over the signature of Manuel Rodriguez Orcarberro and bearing a return address of 3126 Harlandale, but these didn't contain the words Free Cuba Committee

AGENCY INFORMATION

AGENCY : FBI

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10187-10084

RECORDS SERIES : HQ

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 62-116395-1232X

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : CIT

TO : KEASLER, DOROTHY MISS

TITLE : [No Title]

DATE : 11/19/1963

PAGES : 32

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER, TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : CC, INSTR, CORRESPONDENCE, DONATIONS, LHO, POST-RP,

ASSOC, FPCC, JURE, DRE, ALPHA 66, 30TH NOVEMBER

MOVEMENT, WC

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

RESTRICTIONS : OPEN IN FULL

CURRENT STATUS : OPEN

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 11/18/1996

COMMENTS : INC 2 A/T, LIST, RPT, CIT LTR, ENV

James, I didn't know about the Freund article. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Steve Thomas

Now, I know that fund raising appeals went out from SNFE – Alpha 66 over the signature of Manuel Rodriguez Orcarberro and bearing a return address of 3126 Harlandale, but these didn't contain the words Free Cuba Committee

PS: You can read a copy of that fund raising letter here:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...46&relPageId=41

Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas

Thanks Steve. I can only say that this line of inquiry surrounding Harlandale seems very important.

Steve Thomas

Thanks Steve. I can only say that this line of inquiry surrounding Harlandale seems very important.

I wish that I could add something of significance here, but all I can think of off the bat is - was the subject of the file cabinets ever broached by the New Orleans Grand Jury and/or during the Shaw trial by Garrison?

I have done some checking, in an attempt to determine more about 3126 Harlandale, [Anthony Summer's lists it as Hollandale, which is in a suburb [Carrollton], I think he was in error personally, unless someone has additional info not commonly known, I mean it can't be both . Anyway the 3128 Harlandale address in 1963, according to the Dallas Central Appraisal District listed ownership to a Wm. A McDaniel. [Wm being William]. Correspondingly, there is no Wm. A. McDaniel listed as residing at the 3126 Harlandale address in the 1963 Dallas Residential or Business Directory.

Robert, you have the name of the owner of the house but he was renting it to a man

named Salazar so its likely that if it did have a phone listing it was in his name.

Orcarberrio and others lived in it, apparently with Salazar's permission.

On another note, I can't prove it for sure but there is some reason that the informant

that the DPD used to write off their investigation and certify that Oswald and

nobody else suspicious had ever been there may have been Orcarberrio himself.

Which is it, 3128 or 3126 Harlandale? It would be interesting to see if we could dig up exactly who rented the location and list all the names of the indivuals who lived there in the fall of 1963.

Which is it, 3128 or 3126 Harlandale? It would be interesting to see if we could dig up exactly who rented the location and list all the names of the indivuals who lived there in the fall of 1963.

Place this in the 'trust me' but find out for yourself if it makes you feel better category, for years I alway's believed it was 3126 Harlandale, until I really studied the documentation. You will find that there was a lot of stumbling and bumbling by the investigatory agencies ala Inspector Jacques Closeau that appear as if they could not have found it on mapquest. When you look at the ascending chronology of the reports you will find that it is indeed 3126 Harlandale, Anthony Summer's muddled the waters a bit by linking the Buddy Walter's 'Oswald at Cuban meeting' to 3128 Hollandale, which is in Farmer's Branch which I attribute to not being familiar with Dallas in the geographical sense, if someone can produce evidence to the contrary, I would very much like to made aware of it.

Robert, there is a nice photo of 3126 Harlandale, rented by Salazar and

Rodriquez, in Tagg's book on Walthers.

The CIA never could locate the place, they searched for Hollandale and Harlendale

and could find neither....not noticing Harlandale in the listings it appears.

Walthers himself has mistakenly listed it as 3128 Harlandale in his report.

For reference, the reason Walther's was aware of the place was that his

mother in law who lived in the area...which is why he did not name her. And

apparently no agency ever asked him for the information nor tried to contact

his informant first hand, reflecting a pretty serious lack of interest. The FBI

did go to their local informant on Alpha 66 who "cleared" the house of any

suspicion and they dropped the whole matter at that point. They never

attempted to construct a list of actual residents or visitors.

-- Larry

Place this in the 'trust me' but find out for yourself if it makes you feel better category, for years I alway's believed it was 3126 Harlandale, until I really studied the documentation. You will find that there was a lot of stumbling and bumbling by the investigatory agencies ala Inspector Jacques Closeau that appear as if they could not have found it on mapquest. When you look at the ascending chronology of the reports you will find that it is indeed 3126 Harlandale, Anthony Summer's muddled the waters a bit by linking the Buddy Walter's 'Oswald at Cuban meeting' to 3128 Hollandale, which is in Farmer's Branch which I attribute to not being familiar with Dallas in the geographical sense, if someone can produce evidence to the contrary, I would very much like to made aware of it.

Antti,

It's 3126.

I've seen several FBI memos that address Walthers report and say that the 3128 number was in error.

Steve Thomas

Larry,

They never

attempted to construct a list of actual residents or visitors.

About the only name I've run across is a guy named George F. Parrel.

SS Rowley Memorandum of 4/24/64 CD 853

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...250&relPageId=2

1/16/64 Frank Ellsworth was interviewed about Orcarberro.

Ellsworth had been working undercover gathering evidence against John Thomas Masen.

Masen told Ellsworth that Orcarberro had been trying to buy guns and bazookas from Masen.

Masen told Ellsworth that Rodriguez and George F. Parrel were leaders of the local DRE and also members of Alpha-66

Masen told Ellsworth that George Parrel, an associate of Orcarberro, had also been trying to buy guns from him.

They had made purchases from him and that they presently have a large cache of arms located somewhere in Dallas.

Parrel was a student at Dallas City College.

Agent Ed Coyle was also contacted about Orcarberro.

Steve Thomas

Larry,

On another note, I can't prove it for sure but there is some reason that the informant

that the DPD used to write off their investigation and certify that Oswald and

nobody else suspicious had ever been there may have been Orcarberrio himself.

I have had that same hunch myself.

Can you look at the last paragraph on page 14 of this airtel from the SAC, Dallas to the Director, FBI?

Does it tell you who this informant was or are you able to cross-reference the numbers with anything else you might have?

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...46&relPageId=14

Steve Thomas