The Education Forum

Regicide: The Official Assasination of John F. Kennedy

I'd like to follow up on Ron's original lead about Crowley and the CIA's Corporate Division.

I wonder if this included the CIA Airlines? Berlitz Language schools? Oil companies? Real Estate? Public Relation firms, domestic and foreign?

Does anybody have anything else on Crowley?

Thanks,

BK

Bill, FWIW, fromTBRNews:

Stan, Thanks for that one,

Sorry I missed it earlier, and thanks to JR for picking up my fumble.

Very good stuff!

BK

April 2, 2007

by Brian Harring

On October 8th, 2000, Robert Trumbull Crowley, once a leader of the CIA's Clandestine Operations Division, died in a Washington hospital of heart failure and the end effects of Alzheimer's Disease. Before the late Assistant Director Crowley was cold, Joseph Trento, a writer of light-weight books on the CIA, descended on Crowley's widow at her town house on Cathedral Hill Drive in Washington and hauled away over fifty boxes of Crowley's CIA files.

Once Trento had his new find secure in his house in Front Royal , Virginia, he called a well-known Washngton fix lawyer with the news.of his success in securing what the CIA had always considered to be a potential major embarrassment. Three months before, July 20th of that year, retired Marine Corps colonel William R. Corson died of emphysema and lung cancer at a hospital in Bethesda, Md.

After Corson's death, Trento and a well-known Washington fix-lawyer went to Corson's bank, got into his safe deposit box and removed a manuscript entitled 'Zipper.' This manuscript, which dealt with Crowley's involvement in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, vanished into a CIA burn-bag and the matter was considered to be closed forever.

A small group of CIA officials gathered at Trento's house to search through the Crowley papers, looking for documents that must not become public. A number were found but, to their consternation, a number of files Crowley was known to have had vanished.

When published material concerning the CIA's actions against Kennedy became public in 2002, it was discovered to the CIA's horror, that the missing documents had been sent by an increasingly erratic Crowley to others and these included devastating material on the CIA's activities in South East Asia to include drug running, money laundering and the maintenance of the notorious 'Regional Interrogation Centers' in Viet Nam and, worse still, the Zipper files.

The originals had vanished and an extensive search was conducted by the FBI and CIA operatives but without success. Crowley's survivors, his aged wife and son, were interviewed extensively by the FBI and instructed to minimize any discussion of former CIA files that Crowley had, illegally, removed from Langley when he retired.

A massive disinformation campaign was readied, using government-friendly bloggers, CIA-paid "historians" and others, in the event that anything from this file ever surfaced. The best-laid plans often go astray and in this case, one of the compliant historians, a former government librarian who fancied himself a serious writer, began to tell his friends about the CIA plan to kill Kennedy and eventually, word of this began to leak out into the outside world.

It came to the attention of Dr. Peter Janney, a Massachusetts clinical psychologist and son of Wistar Janney, another career senior CIA official, colleague of not only Bob Crowley but Cord Meyer, Richard Helms, Jim Angleton and others. Dr. Janney has personally researched the life and murder (or should we say assassination?) of Mary Pinchot Meyer for more than thirty years, ever since the story broke in the National Enquirer in 1976. He knew the Meyer family well, his best friend was Michael Meyer, Mary and Cord Meyer's middle son, who was hit and killed by an automobile when they were both 9 year old boys.

For a long time, all Dr. Janney had were supposition, opinions and circulating rumor and without any kind of concrete proof, his thesis was interesting but unproven In the midst of his investigations, Dr. Janney discovered the original Zipper file and began the lengthy and time-consuming process of authentication. He was in a unique position to accomplish this because of the extant archives of family and friends. Signatures and other identifying information that would be impossible for an outsider to locate were available to him.

For the last three years, Dr. Janney has collaborated on a Hollywood film script entitled Lost Light about the life and romance of Mary Pinchot Meyer and JFK. The project is currently being represented by one of Hollywood's top deal-makers and is now being packaged for production.

Peter Janney grew up in Washington with the families of top CIA brass. He is now at work on a book tentatively entitled 'Mary's Mosiac, that he hopes will be published when the film is initially released.

According to Janney, Mary Meyer was not murdered by a young, innocent Afro-American male by the name of Raymond Crump, Jr., who happened to be ensconced in a tryst adjacent to the C&O Canal Towpath in Georgetown on October 12, 1964. Crump was framed, according to Janney, and he believes he can now prove it. The real assassin was interviewed, according to Janney, by the late author Leo Damore in March of 1993 who was writing a book on the subject (Damore committed suicide in 1995; his book was never published). Janney told us that the assassin was a former FBI agent and CIA contract agent who was assigned to surveillance of Mary Meyer right after the Warren Commission Report was released in late September, 1964. Janney is not the repository of all of Damore's research.

It had always been rumored in the elite CIA circles that James Angleton, head of CIA's counter intelligence and a fellow Crowley plotter, had ordered her murder because she was threatening to reveal what she knew of her lover's murder, and the fact that the Warren Commission Report was nothing but a farce and an egregious public-relations venture. For a long time, all Dr. Janney had were supposition, opinions and circulating rumor and without any kind of concrete proof, his thesis was interesting but unproven In the midst of his investigations, Dr. Janney discovered the original Zipper file and the Driscoll Report and has now embarked on a lengthy and time-consuming process of authentication. He is possibly in a unique position to accomplish this because of the extant archives of family and friends. Signatures and other identifying information that would be impossible for an outsider to locate may, in fact, be available to him.

The hitherto unknown role of the very secret Naval Security Group surfaced when a former member recalled the activities of Marine Corps Lt. Colonel Bevan Cass while he was discussing his own role in the assassination of Dominican dictator Trujillo and contemporary conversations he had with Cass who was involved in this assassination as well as the Kennedy one.

In spite of the burn bags, the top secret safes and the vigilance of the CIA to keep its own secrets, the truth has an embarrassing and often very fatal habit of emerging, albeit decades later. When it is complete, the Janney book on the Mary Mayer murder will certainly spill over into areas the author never thought he would be able to explore.

While CIA drug running , money-launderings and brutal assassinations are very often strongly rumored and suspected, it has so far not been possible to actually pin them down but this book will do this with their own reports.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no ingenious government disinformation plot in Regicide. I see an attempt by the author to make money by doing what he apparently does so well: fabricate documents to sell a book. Isn't that what he did with his previous work, on the Gestapo? Or did the CIA or some other government agency gain from it someway?

Ron, Didn't you give us the link to a source who identifies Crowley as the head of the CIA's corporate division, and link him to Joe Trento, who included William Corson and JJ Angleton among his sources? (Thanks for that).

Disinformation: "Deliberatly misleading information announced publicly or leaked by a government or especially by an intelligence agency in order ot influence public opinion or the government of a another nation."

That excludes typos, mistakes, wrong information and deliberately misleading to make a buck scams.

Black Propaganda is "deliberate disinformation said to have originated with the opposition."

If "Gregory Douglas" claims the original source is Crowley and Crowley claimed it is a "Soviet study," then it is is not only disinformation but a black propaganda disinformation operation, said to originate with the Soviets via the CIA. Now why would Crowley, Angleon, Corson, Trento and that crowd want us to believe a bunch of dead CIA officers were behind the assassination of JFK?

Weighing how much this guy is GD is making selling books against the details of what he is saying and it's source, I'd say the disinfo angle is a lot heavier than the cash motive.

And the tie in between the earlier Gestapo works is the name, Operation Zipper, which Stockton, in his flawed Flawed Patriot bio of William Harvey, identifies, as the Nazi scientist/spy network otherwise known as Paperclip.

There's got to be more to it than money.

Even Clifford Irving didn't try to sell a million $25 copies of the Madonna, but one bogus, very contrived and complicated scheme, and almost pulled it off.

If this guy's after money, he got me for $25 bucks when I was flush, and now he can buy Starbucks coffee for a week.

BK

I have not read the book and therefore cannot comment on it. However, one of the best researchers I know on the JFK assassination has this to say on Gregory:

“I met and talked to him over three days at a Washington conference four or five years ago, I am convinced as to his contacts and personal knowledge of Crowley .... imo, Gregory has been the subject of a highly sophisticated smear campaign.”

I have not read the book and therefore cannot comment on it. However, one of the best researchers I know on the JFK assassination has this to say on Gregory:

“I met and talked to him over three days at a Washington conference four or five years ago, I am convinced as to his contacts and personal knowledge of Crowley .... imo, Gregory has been the subject of a highly sophisticated smear campaign.”

John,

Gregory only smears himself.

If he is the subject of a highly sophisticated smear campaign, include me as part of it.

I bought and read his book when it first came out and it was immediately apparent that what he was pawning off as the Zipper Documents were never legitimate government documents.

One such document, said to be pilfered from the Russians and translated to English, would have to be considered a less sophisticated forgery than the smear campaign allegedly applied against him.

What is highly sophisticated was the framing of Oswald as the patsy, and that was acomplished by people very much like Crowley, Corson, Trento, Angleton and Gregory.

One immediate tip off Gregory is not for real was his publishing as an appendex, a list of those who were dues paying members of the Association of Former Intelligence Officers (AFIO), which includes Mary Ferrell and other JFK assassination researchers, and miss-identifying the list as CIA officers and assets.

I showed it to a friend of mine who is on the list and he immediately identified it as a list of AFIO members, and others have confirmed this (including Dan Brandt).

Gregory, given his "convincing contacts and knowledge" must have known what this list was, and where it came from, yet he purposely misidentifies it.

Now it may be significant that Brandt's former secretery (Bancroft) is now the chief organizer of AFIO, and publishes the newsletter that Don Bohning used to slander you and this forum.

I think that the whole Zipper Doc operation was/is a transparently bad black propaganda - disinformation campaign to blame the assassination on the CIA, and then show that it is based on bad or faked records, and therefore the CIA didn't kill JFK.

If you want to believe your secret inside source, Crowley (ex-CIA corporate chief), Corson (intelligence historian USMC), Angleton (CIA CI) and Gregory (fake journalist), then go ahead and believe them.

I believe they're all full of crap.

Bill Kelly

bkjfk3@yahoo.com

Edited by William Kelly

Has anyone read Regicide: The Official Assasination of John F. Kennedy by Douglas Gregory? A friend has told me it contains a lot of important new information.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Regicide-Official-...3110&sr=1-8

John, Can you tell us what "important new information" your friend is refering to, and is he associated with the same intelligence network (Crowley/et al) that is putting this stuff out?

And I've located my earlier review of a few years ago on a disc and can share it.

BK

An Independent Analysis of "Regicide - The Official Assassination of JFK -

With documentation compiled by Robert T. Crowley, former Asst. Dep. Dir. for

Clandestine Operations of the CIA," by Gregory Douglas (Monte Sono Media,

Huntsville, Al. 2002 ) ISBN 1-591 48-297-6.

By William Kelly, Jr.

June 15, 2002

The word "regicide" means "to kill a king," and this book tries to put a familiar spin on the assassination of President Kennedy with questionable documents that places the blame for the murder squarely on the CIA, with the cooperation of the top officials of the National Security Agency (NSA), the FBI and Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS). Now I want to know what you call "to kill the truth?"

While the premise is simple, it becomes all the more confusing because the source of the documentation is reputedly the late Robert T. Crowley, identified as the former Asst. Deputy Director for Clandestine Operations of the CIA, whose Washington Post obit of October 10, 2000 is one of the first documents presented. It is also one of the few that is verifiable, and while I haven't really checked that reference yet, I'm beginning to suspect it as well. I also wonder if Crowley himself is a real person or if he's just a straw

character in the storybook ostensibly penned by "Gregory Douglas," whose identity has yet to be decisively characterized.

Since this book is classified as "non-fiction," I'll treat it as such, and certainly the primary characters are real, or were at one time, but the supporting documents throw the whole story out of kilt, and while easy to call a "hoax" or "fraud," it is less easy to explain the motivation behind creating this fantastic fascade.

Besides the Washington Post obit for Crowley, who is identified as the source of the material, the other documents that make up the basis for the book includes 1) a previously released and verifiable FBI memo regarding a phone conversation between President Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ) and J. Edgar Hover (JEH), shortly after the assassination; 2) a cover letter to Director (DIA) with official Defense Intelligence Agency logo, dated 20 April 1978 re: "Soviet Intelligence Report on Assassination of President Kennedy," signed by

VEDDER B. DRISCOLL, Col. USA, Chief, Soviet/Warsaw Pack Division, Directorate for Intelligence Research; 3) "ENCLOSURE A - THE SOVIET INTELLIGENCE STUDY (translation) Items # 1 - 81 (pages 1 - 10); 4) "ANALYSIS OF THE SOVIET INTELLIGENCE REPORT" (p 11 - 19); 5) Aide-Memoire R.T. Crowley, 2pp. to James Jesus Angleton (JJA), dated Aug 10, 1962; 6) "OPERATION ZIPPER document, cover page, (p. 1-28); 7) List of Abbreviations used in the Zipper Document

(p. 220); 8) Organizational Chart of the CIA (circa 1960s); 9) Index of Names (with text; incomplete); 10) Appendix listing #1 (p.125-166) entitled "Alphabetical Listing of CIA and Other Intelligence Sources."

Now I'll get back to the alleged translation of the "Soviet Study," the reputed DIA "response" to the "Soviet Study" and the Aide-Memoire and Operation Zipper, but first I want to dispose of #10), which purports to be a listing of "CIA and Other Intelligence Sources," but has since been identified as a list of general and associate members of the Association of Former Intelligence Officers (AFIO), which was founded by the late David Atlee Phillips, and includes such JFK assassination luminaries as Mary Ferrell, Gus Russo and Mark Zaid, as well as everybody and anybody who paid their $40 dues. That Mr. Gregory Douglas either didn't bother to learn what the list really is, or did learn and didn't bother telling us, makes me extremely leary of what else he has to say.

John Judge was the first to tell me that the list was that of AFIO members, plus a few others peppered in, a fact confirmed by FOIA attorney Mark Zaid and private eye Robert Holmes, also on the list. Holmes, who operates Holmes High Tech security firm out of Somers Point, New Jersey (near Atlantic City), is a card-carrying member of the AFIO and pulled out his card when asked what he thought the list was. A former policeman and Navy veteran, I asked Holmes to look at the other documents - the Zipper document in particular, and he said that in the case of that type of operation there would be no official documentation or any such "paper trail."

Of the other documents, reading backwards, and passing over the book's incomplete index, obsolete CIA chart and list of abbreviations, we'll look at the "T O P SECRET OPERATION ZIPPER 22 DEC 1963" document first before taking on the so-called "Soviet Study" and DIA "Analysis."

Each letter in the title of the ZIPPER doc is C A P I T A L I Z E D, underlined by each letter and one space apart - while the date is underlined differently, whatever that administrative style means to those who can interpret and decipher official docs, please let me know. To me, it is most similar to typical Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) official documents in that it doesn't have an official logo or masthead. It's just typed, with a manual typewriter that could be positively identified, if anyone wants to go to the trouble, by it's soft left side W and other peculiar annomalies.

The OPERATION ZIPPER doc limits it's distribution to : DCI, JJA, MC, RTC and WKH, which if you check the list of abreviations, means it went to Director of Central Intelligence (John McCone), James Jesus Angleton (head of counter-intelligence CIA), CIA/NSA official Marshall Carter, Robert T. Crowley, the initials of which are underlined and include a checkmark next to it - and William King Harvey, the CIA agent introduced to JFK as "America's James Bond."

All of these characters, other than Crowley, are a familiar part of the Rogues Gallery of JFK assassination suspects, as are most of the other characters - except perhaps - G. Fini, one of the four Coriscian assassins - the Grassy Knoll shooter, and the one who got away, ...., who is mentioned in the Zipper doc but not listed in the abeviations or index, Benjamen Bowman, the Isralie MOSSAD operative who spirited the other three Corisicans out of Dallas in David Ferrie's plane, and then there's the mysterious ARM, the initials of the Zipper participant who apparently arranged for the Secret Service stand down in Dallas. While I can't think of anyone off the bat, I'll bet that Vince Palamara can fit a name to A.R.M, a trap door we're suppose to fall in and believe that we found another piece of the puzzle and confirm the bonifides of the rest of these bogus documents.

The Zipper document gives times - to the second - and dates of Zipper "conferences," which are defined as meetings and telephone conversations that take place from March, 1963 thru November, 1963. The document is dated December 22, 1963, and some lunch meetings are identified as being held at U/C – the Univeristy Club, Washington D.C. and the Met. Club – the Metropolitan Club, in Washington D.C., places we'll have to check out whether this story checks out or not.

While the cover letter document from "Col. Driscoll" at DIA looks good at first glance, the attached documents - the so-called "Soviet Study" and the DIA analysis are quite fancifull, but no Defense Intelligence Agency analysist worth his salt would write anything like : " 15. When Oswald secured employment at the Texas School Book Depository, De Mohrenschildt, according to an FBI report, reported this to the CIA. 16. The existence and location of Oswald's mail order Mannlicher-Carcano rifle in the garage of his wife's friend, RuthPaine, was also known to De Mohrenschildt at least one week prior to the assassination," and Colonel Driscoll, if such a person actually exists, and he will confirm his signing off on this document, then he should be indicted for obstruction of justice and conspiracy and treason.

In fact, DeMohrenschildt was in Haiti at the time and had been for months and had no contact whatsoever with Oswald in the weeks leading up to the assassination and didn't know he worked at the TSBD or kept his rifle at the Paine's garage.

The "Aide de memoire" is reportedly a post assassination memo from Crowley to James Jesus Angleton, aka JJA, giving a report on how the operation is playing out, still looking for Fini - the one who got away - he sleeked out on a bus to Mexico City and disappeared in Spain - if you believe this quite incredible scenario. "And I'll be sure," Crowley tells JJA, "to get you an autographed singed copy of the Warren Report for your files." Yea, right.

This is a classic black propaganda operation that deserves deeper analysis. As with all black prop ops, it is information that purports to come.from the opposition - "the Soviet Study," but actually stems from U.S. intelligence sources - DIA - "Driscoll" and CIA Crowley, who sent the docs to writer and "historian" - I can't call him a journalist - Gregory Douglas - if that is his real name and he is in fact a real person - as I suspect this whole thing is a hoax. And not a simple one at that, but a specific covert op - the purpose of which has yet to be determined.

One major aspect of the "Soviet Study" and the Zipper Doc is discussion of the backchannell communication links that JFK and RFK had established with Kruschev and Castro, skipping the standard State Department and CIA lines of power, just as he had done when excluding the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) from the disarmament negotiations. The Northwoods plan to instigate an invasion of Cuba thru terrorist action and blaming it on Castro and Cuba, is also a big part of the Zipper scenario, and I suspect that it is not a coincidence that the NSA leaked the Northwoods material to James Bamford while Crowley gave these docs to Gregory Douglas, as they overlap and appear to confirm each other. But what are they really trying to tell - sell us? The NSA doesn't just give journalists tours of their operations, and retired CIA officers don't just send documents to writers from the grave. There is a reason behind all this that isn't what it appears to be.

As it has been pointed out on the internet in other "reviews" of this book, "Regicide" is just one of a series of books being published as written by Gregory Douglas, the first of which contains a purported "interview" with former Gestapo chief Henrich Mueller, who ostensibly escaped Nurrenberg because he was recruited by the CIA and brought to America as part of the Project Paperclip operation that actually did bring in former Nazi scientists like Weiner Von Braun (NASA) and Gen. Dorenberger (Bell Hell) and the designer of the first jet fighter (Collins Radio), and Gen. Reinhard Gehlen (CIA). But was Mueller among them?

It was the search for Muller, Douglas tells us in his book, that led him to Crowley and the "official" documents on the JFK assassination. Under the chapter "The Crowley Papers," Douglas tells us, "In 1963, the author met a German Luftwaffe officer who lived in Palo Alto, California. His name was Frederick Laegal, and he was employed in the medical department of Stanford University…" Now this is the same Stanford University where the Hover Institute is located and where Sergi DeMornschildet worked at the time of the assassination. Sergi is the brother of the George DeMohrenschildt, the guy that these documents claim was the man who tipped off the CIA about Lee Harvey Oswald's employment at the Texas School Book Depository on the motorcade route. This is despite the fact that DeMohrenschildt was in Haiti and totally out of touch with Oswald and his activites.

"At one point," writes Douglas, "Laegel indicated that he had a friend who knew even more about the period than himself, and eventually the author came into contact with Heinrich Muller, then a resident of Piedmont, California. These ongoing contacts and interviews with the former head of the Gestapo led to the books based on Muller's papers and eventually to an approach by Robert Crowley, a retired high-level CIA official, in 1993."

"Crowley was working with British author John Costello," Douglas informs us, "and in return for papers concerning British surveillance of Ambassador Joseph Kennedy in 1939, Crowley and Costello supplied the author with official documentation on Muller's postwar employment by the American intelligence community. In 1994, the author published the first of his series on the papers of Heinrich Muller, once Chief of the German Gestapo. The first work appeared in Germany and was subsequently published in English in 1995 by Bender Publishing. When these appeared, there was considerable official, but very private, concern expressed in CIA circle due to the inflammatory issued raised."

Douglas says he was then contacted by Dr. William Corson, of Potomic, Maryland, regarding the name of the CIA official who interrogated Muller in Switzerland in 1948 – James Speyer Kronthal, the 1948 station chief of Bern, Switzerland. Corson, of course, is a former USMC officer and historian of American intelligence agency operations. Crowley then admitted that He was the man "who had worked with Muller whenthe former Gestapo chief arrived in Washington in 1948."

Now backing up a bit, British author John Costello has authored a number of books on British intelligence operations, including one book on Kim Philby and the Soviet Cambridge cell of British double-agents – a story that got Costello killed – murdered with shellfish toxin, while tracking down some of his suspects. In fact, most of the people mentioned by Douglas are dead, suspicious in itself.

From the looks of it, this book is in the same class as Clifford Irving's Howard Hughes Diary, and as Irving had previously been a world class art forger, and an excellent artist of that genre, it appears "Mr. Douglas" has also previously been up to similar shennagans.

In a London Sunday Observer book review (April 21, 1996) "Spin Time for Hitler," Gitta Sereny calls "Douglas" out for promoting forged documents regarding the "interrogation" of Muller and his escape to America with the assistance of the CIA.

Although it's very long, it's an important story to know in evaluating the authenticity of "Regicide."

In her Observer review of Douglas' book on Muller's "interrogation," Gitta Sereny writes:

"The first is a curious tome, available by direct order from the so-called publishers (in America one James Bender,…in Germany the right-radical Druffel Verlag, who have published books by old Nazis). Lip-smackingly called "Gestapo Chief: The 1948 Interrogation of Heinrich Muller," it is subtitled "From US Secret Archives." The author's name is given as Gregory Douglas; his address, shown in a series of letters from the CIA which he reprints, is 23, West Alexander Avenue 10, Merced, California 95348. Now I am quite familiar with this man, though under a different name. He has many of them. I knew him as Peter Stahl and my husband and I, researching this fantastic story, visited him in Merced in July 1988. In November the previous year Stahl and sent me by courier what he announced as an 'extraordinary document' that he had just 'come into his hands'. It was not only extraordinary, but shocking – a much censored photocopy of a seven-page CIC (later CIA) 'agent report' to all appearances copied from originals in a US intelligence archive. Dated November 1948, it was signed by two Berlin-based CIC officers, Andrew L. Venters and Severin F. Wallace."

"The report, titled 'Ubersee' ('Overseas'), stated that Soviet Intelligence had discovered that two SS generals, Odilo Globocnik and Heinrich Muller, had been spirited out of Europe in 1945 by the Americans with the connivance of the British. Heinrich Muller had been the head of the Gestapo, and it had long been rumored that he had survived and was living in the Soviet Union. Odilo Globocnik, however, who as the head of the 'Aktion Reinhard' – 'the organization in charge of the murder of the Jews in occupied Poland' was at the top of the Allied war criminals lists, was known to have committed suicide in May 1945, after being caught by the British in a hut in the Austrian Alps. There was even a much reprinted (though unclear) photograph of him dead, taken by a British officer and entitled 'The worst man in the world'."

"If this document was genuine, the British and the Americans, outrageously, would have helped two of the worst Nazi evil-doers escape justice which, without doubt, would cause one of the greatest scandals since 1945. Therefore, before seeking any backing for research and keeping my interest secret, I had to authenticate the documents. For this I turned to one of America's leading archivists, Dr. Robert Wolfe, at the U.S. National Archives. As horrified as I was by the document, he undertook to search for the originals and to authenticate the signatures. Two months later, he told me that Venters and Wallace had indeed been CIC officers in Berlin: the signatures checked out and neither he nor two other top people he had consulted could fault the photocopied documents. He was however, he said, encountering unusual reticence and even opposition from other agencies in his search for the originals. We were concerned lest the secret should slip out before I could research the background of the story."

"My photographer husband Don and I now with the backing of the Times, left immediately for Trieste, Globocnick's last posting as SS head of police. Over the next weeks we followed his trail, his escape over the mountains with chests of valuables, to the alpine hut where he was finally arrested, and to the castle in the town of Paternion, in the Austrian province of Carinthia, where British intelligence troops held him and where, when identified, he allegedly committed suicide."

"By June 1988, we had seen everybody still alive who had had anything to do with Globocnick's life, including the British officers who saw his corpse,…Everything about the alleged suicide, including the famous photograph, was decidedly fuzzy, and even the British Army records at Kew of his capture and death were contradictory. I felt neither comfortable about the documents, nor by this time about Stahl (aka Douglas). He talked too much, had too many pet theories about Joe Kennedy, the President's father; about Churchill and Roosevelt and secret advance knowledge of Pearl Harbor; about Roger Casement: Stahl (Douglas) urged too hard, wanted too little. By the time we arrived at his door in Merced in July 1988, I strongly suspected that the papers were forged."

"Just as we were about to abandon the search for lack of definite proof, we found in Germany a former CIC officer who had served with the two men whose signatures were on the document. He looked at it with astonishment. 'It was done by someone exceptionally well-informed: he was able to get the right stamps, knows the format, the language and was able to copy, superbly, the signatures,' he said. 'He slipped up in one way only: he didn't know the two men.' The ex-CIC man had shared quarters with Venters for several years; he was his friend. 'Andrew was an Austrian by birth and a Jew,' he said. 'But that was not the main thing: the main thing is that he was a profoundly cultured man of total integrity who would never, under any circumstances whatsoever, have been part, even with retrospective knowledge, of such a cover-up. Globocnick, to him, was not just the devil incarnate, but dirt: he could not have written and could not have signed such a report. He would have preferred to kill himself. This document is a very clever but quite outrageous forgery.' Two days later, the Austrian widow of the British officer who had taken the photograph of Globocnick's corpse found for us in her attic in Vienna another picture taken at the same time, this one not in the least fuzzy: Globocnik was dead."

"Mr. Douglas-Stahl's book is as much a fake as the document he sent me eight years ago. In his acknowledgements he maliciously thanks me for my 'research into the authenticity of the key documents, without which this book could not have been written'."

"We don't know whether and where 'Gestapo' Muller survived and, if he survived, who he talked to. What is certain is that he never had the conversations reprinted here: Mr. Douglas-Stahl has Muller recite here all the stories Peter Stahl told me over the years – 'Casement, Churchll, Roosevelt, the bombing of Dresden….and of course all about Globocnik: alive, after having been saved by the nasty British for money. And then, folded into it all, more falsehoods about the Final Solution itself, that one crime that none of these obsessed people can leave alone."

Well the thing that troubles me most about Mr. Douglas is he doesn't come across as even remotely interested in questioning whether these documents he's pawning off on us are legitimately real or not, and if not, why not and what it's all about. He takes them for face value even though he acknowledges receiving them in the mail from a dying man – the deputy director of Clandestine Operations of the CIA – and keeps quite about them until after the man is dead.

For several reasons however, I don't believe that, and tend to think that this operation, whoever is behind it, is being run by very living people, still playing the Great Game. And it isn't beyond us to figure out.

What is especially galling about "Regicide" is that after faithfully promoting these entirely questionable documents, Douglas ends the book with a chapter called "Envoy," which promotes John Jacob Nutter's truly fine book "The CIA's Black Ops: Covert Action, Foreign Policy, and Democracy" (Prometheus Books, Amherst, N.Y.).

The book also includes what is called "Aide-Memoire," a memo to JJA – James Jesus Angleton from "Crow" aka Robert T. Crowley, which states in part, "…This gives us the opportunity of silencing anyone who might express dangerous opinions about Dallas. Hover also suggested, and I agree, that instead of attempting to shut down controversial books, that we encourage the publication of 'not' books. That way, the public will soon grow tired of questions and go on their merry way. The forthcoming Commission report is a wonderful piece of creative writing and will be extensively promoted by our good friends at the NY Times. The question of the surviving member is still of concern but hopefully, the reward will flush him out. I will get Allen to autograph a copy of the final Commission report for both of our personal libraries."

Even if Crowley believed or did such things, he most certainly wouldn't put it in writing, just as the minutes of the Zipper Docs would never have been taken or kept by anyone actually engaged in such activities.

Who is Gregory Douglas and why is he promoting such disinformation?

Time will tell.

xxyyyzz

Good Review Bill. Yeah, the Muller book was a 'true' fake....and this is a disinformation agent at work.....apparently still at work. Your mention of the NSA leaking the Northwoods documents just at a time convenient for this pulp fiction story does really make one start thinking of wheels within wheels within wheels within wheels. They keep spinnin' them to try to keep us from ever getting to the bottom of any story - be it US collusion with Nazis at the end of the War or Dallas or [fill in the blank]. It also adds to discredit/confound any/all real on-target research, and just generally muddy the waters. They are pretty murky, but you saw through the sludge in your review, just fine.

Hey Peter,

And another thing, there's two references in the so-called "Zipper Docs" that say Oswald was sent to USSR on mission and that he was trained at the Farm in Virginia, both facts, even if they were true, would never be placed on the record in anyone's official record.

In addition, since I wrote that piece, my friend Bob Holmes, the ex-Navy, former policeman and private eye (Holmes detective agency), whose name is on the list, who confirmed the Crowley list is AFIO members, and said that the Zipper Docs were fake because real operations of that nature were not put to paper, well he was found dead, shot in the head with his service revolver, ruled suicide. No s... Shirlock.

BK

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting background information to the writing of this book:

http://www.tbrnews.org/Archives/a2844.htm

On October 8th, 2000 , Robert Trumbull Crowley, once a leader of the CIA's Clandestine Operations Division, died in a Washington hospital of heart failure and the end effects of Alzheimer's Disease. Before the late Assistant Director Crowley was cold, Joseph Trento, a writer of light-weight books on the CIA, descended on Crowley 's widow at her town house on Cathedral Hill Drive in Washington and hauled away over fifty boxes of Crowley 's CIA files.

Once Trento had his new find secure in his house in Front Royal , Virginia, he called a well-known Washington fix lawyer with the news of his success in securing what the CIA had always considered to be a potential major embarrassment. Three months before, July 20th of that year, retired Marine Corps colonel William R. Corson, and an associate of Crowley , died of emphysema and lung cancer at a hospital in Bethesda , Md.

After Corson's death, Trento and a well-known Washington fix-lawyer went to Corson's bank, got into his safe deposit box and removed a manuscript entitled 'Zipper.' This manuscript, which dealt with Crowley 's involvement in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, vanished into a CIA burn-bag and the matter was considered to be closed forever.

The small group of CIA officials gathered at Trento 's house to search through the Crowley papers, looking for documents that must not become public. A few were found but, to their consternation, a significant number of files Crowley was known to have had in his possession had simply vanished.

When published material concerning the CIA's actions against Kennedy became public in 2002, it was discovered to the CIA's horror, that the missing documents had been sent by an increasingly erratic Crowley to another person and these missing papers included devastating material on the CIA's activities in South East Asia to include drug running, money laundering and the maintenance of the notorious 'Regional Interrogation Centers' in Viet Nam and, worse still, the Zipper files proving the CIA’s active organization of the assassination of President John Kennedy..

A massive, preemptive disinformation campaign was readied, using government-friendly bloggers, CIA-paid "historians" and others, in the event that anything from this file ever surfaced. The best-laid plans often go astray and in this case, one of the compliant historians, a former government librarian who fancied himself a serious writer, began to tell his friends about the CIA plan to kill Kennedy and eventually, word of this began to leak out into the outside world.

The originals had vanished and an extensive search was conducted by the FBI and CIA operatives but without success. Crowley 's survivors, his aged wife and son, were interviewed extensively by the FBI and instructed to minimize any discussion of highly damaging CIA files that Crowley had, illegally, removed from Langley when he retired. Crowley had been a close friend of James Jesus Angleton, the CIA’s notorious head of Counterintelligence. When Angleton was sacked by DCI William Colby in December of 1974, Crowley and Angleton conspired to secretly remove Angleton’s most sensitive secret files our of the agency. Crowley did the same thing right before his own retirement , secretly removing thousands of pages of classified information that covered his entire agency career.

Known as “The Crow” within the agency, Robert T. Crowley joined the CIA at its inception and spent his entire career in the Directorate of Plans, also know as the “Department of Dirty Tricks,”: Crowley was one of the tallest man ever to work at the CIA. Born in 1924 and raised in Chicago , Crowley grew to six and a half feet when he entered the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in N.Y. as a cadet in 1943 in the class of 1946. He never graduated, having enlisted in the Army, serving in the Pacific during World War II. He retired from the Army Reserve in 1986 as a lieutenant colonel. According to a book he authored with his friend and colleague, William Corson, Crowley’s career included service in military intelligence and Naval Intelligence, before joining the CIA at inception in 1947. His entire career at the agency was spent within the Directorate of Plans in covert operations. Before his retirement, Bob Crowley became assistant deputy director for operations, the second-in-command in the Clandestine Directorate of Operations.

One of Crowley ’s first major assignments within the agency was to assist in the recruitment and management of prominent World War II Nazis, especially those with advanced intelligence experience. One of the CIA’s major recruitment coups was Heinrich Mueller, once head of Hitler’s Gestapo who had fled to Switzerland after the collapse of the Third Reich and worked as an anti-Communist expert for Masson of Swiss counterintelligence. Mueller was initially hired by Colonel James Critchfield of the CIA, who was running the Gehlen Organization out of Pullach in southern Germany . Crowley eventually came to despise Critchfield but the colonel was totally unaware of this, to his later dismay.

Crowley ’s real expertise within the agency was the Soviet KGB. One of his main jobs throughout his career was acting as the agency liaison with corporations like ITT, which the CIA often used as fronts for moving large amounts of cash off their books. He was deeply involved in the efforts by the U.S. to overthrow the democratically elected government of Salvador Allende in Chile , which eventually got him into legal problems with regard to investigations of the U.S. government’s grand jury where he has perjured himself in an agency cover-up

After his retirement, Crowley began to search for someone who might be able to write a competent history of his career. His first choice fell on British author John Costello (author of Ten Days to Destiny, The Pacific War and other works) but, discovering that Costello was a very aggressive homosexual, he dropped him and tentatively turned to Joseph Trento who had assisted Crowley and William Corson in writing a book on the KGB. When Crowley discovered that Trento had an ambiguous and probably cooperative relationship with the CIA, he began to distrust him and continued his search for an author.

Bob Crowley first contacted Gregory Douglas in 1993 when he found out from John Costello that Douglas was about to publish his first book on Heinrich Mueller, the former head of the Gestapo who had become a secret, long-time asset to the CIA. Crowley contacted Douglas and they began a series of long and often very informative telephone conversations that lasted for four years. In 1996, Crowley told Douglas that he believed him to be the person that should ultimately tell Crowley’s story but only after Crowley’s death. Douglas, for his part, became so entranced with some of the material that Crowley began to share with him that he secretly began to record their conversations, later transcribing them word for word, planning to incorporate some, or all, of the material in later publications.

In 1998, when Crowley was slated to go into the hospital for exploratory surgery, he had his son, Greg, ship two large foot lockers of documents to Douglas with the caveat that they were not to be opened until after Crowley’s death. These documents, totaled an astonishing 15,000 pages of CIA classified files involving many covert operations, both foreign and domestic, during the Cold War.

After Crowley’s death and Trento’s raid on the Crowley files, huge gaps were subsequently discovered by horrified CIA officials and when Crowley’s friends mentioned Gregory Douglas, it was discovered that Crowley’s son had shipped two large boxes to Douglas. No one knew their contents but because Douglas was viewed as an uncontrollable loose cannon who had done considerable damage to the CIA’s reputation by his on-going publication of the history of Gestapo-Mueller, they bent every effort both to identify the missing files and make some effort to retrieve them before Douglas made any use of them.

All of this furor eventually came to the attention of Dr. Peter Janney, a Massachusetts clinical psychologist and son of Wistar Janney, another career senior CIA official, colleague of not only Bob Crowley but Cord Meyer, Richard Helms, Jim Angleton and others. Janney was working on a book concerning the murder of Mary Pinchot Meyer, former wife of Cord Meyer, a high-level CIA official, and later the mistress of President John F. Kennedy. Douglas had authored a book, ‘Regicide’ which dealt with Crowley’s part in the Kennedy assassination and he obviously had access to at least some of Crowley’s papers. Janney was very well connected inside the CIA’s higher levels and when he discovered that Douglas had indeed known, and had often spoken with, Crowley and that after Crowley’s death, the FBI had descended on Crowley’s widow and son, warning them to never speak with Douglas about anything, he contacted Douglas and finally obtained from him a number of original documents, including the originals of the transcribed conversations with Robert Crowley.

In spite of the burn bags, the top secret safes and the vigilance of the CIA to keep its own secrets, the truth has an embarrassing and often very fatal habit of emerging, albeit decades later.

While CIA drug running, money-launderings and brutal assassinations are very often strongly rumored and suspected, it has so far not been possible to actually pin them down but it is more than possible that the publication of the transcribed and detailed Crowley-Douglas conversations will do a great deal towards accomplishing this.

These many transcribed conversations are relatively short because Crowley was a man who tired easily but they make excellent reading. There is an interesting admixture of shocking revelations on the part of the retired CIA official and often rampant anti-social (and very entertaining) activities on the part of Douglas but readers of this new and on-going series are gently reminded to always look for the truth in the jest!

Guest Tom Scully

I read half of this DiEugenio article and now I have a headache. John, are you simply trying to stimulate discussion? TBRnews smelled fishy, as soon as I searched for, and found info on it's minder, Walter Storch....

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/5/4/15748/99064

WARNING: Beware the "Voice from the White House"

by jbalazs

WARNING: Beware the "Voice from the White House"

Wed May 04, 2005 at 12:07:48 PM PDT

I think I should first start with TBR News itself. From their website, in the About Us section, the editor calls himself Walter Storch and says that TBR News originally came from the Barnes Review magazine. I have since come to discover, through two sources (one from the CIA and the other from a historical revisionist named Germar Rudolf, that Walter Storch is one of many pseudonyms used by Peter Stahl, a.k.a. Gregory Douglas. So, who is Gregory Douglas?...

http://www.ctka.net/djm.html

Beware: The Douglas/Janney/Simkin Silver Bullets

By James DiEugenio

II

Kristina Borjesson is one of the true heroines of contemporary journalism. A veteran and award-winning producer for both CNN and CBS, she was assigned to report on the famous and mysterious 1996 explosion of TWA 800. It was this career altering experience that forms the basis of her intriguing book Into the Buzzsaw (2002). The book is a collection of essays dealing with the problems mainstream media has in telling the truth about sensitive and controversial stories. I met Kristina in 2003. The Assassinations had just come out, and coincidentally we happened to have the same book publicist. As we were going to a gathering in Brentwood on a Sunday afternoon, she asked me about a web site called TBR News. I said I had not heard of it. She said the man who runs it, a guy named Walter Storch, had displayed some of the famous Fox News memos. If the reader recalls, in 2003 a Fox insider had released some company memos showing how higher-ups at the network told staffers how to slant stories. Storch said he had original copies of these memos. Kristina asked to see them. And she e-mailed him that request. He then called her and they discussed the memos. But Kristina told me that there was just something about him that did not inspire confidence in her -- something calculating and cagey. So she did not give him her address. But Storch did recommend to her a book he had been involved with. It was about the John Kennedy assassination. The title was Regicide. Kristina asked around about it and she told me there was something weird about Storch's involvement with the book. Namely, his name is not on it or in it.

Kristina is correct. The billed author of Regicide is a man named Gregory Douglas. The book was released in 2002. At the time it was published, it was actually highly acclaimed by some in the research community e.g. Jim Fetzer. The subtitle of the book is "The Official Assassination of John F. Kennedy." Why is it called that? Because it purports to reveal the actual conspirators in the assassination and how they worked together to pull it off. There are four main parts of the book: 1.) A Soviet Intelligence Study of the JFK assassination 2.) A DIA analysis of the Soviet Study called The Driscoll Report (title based upon the actual author of the analysis) 3.) Interpolated commentary by Gregory Douglas 4.) The Zipper Documents.

The most sensational part of the book is the last. These documents are supposed to be a record of actual meetings held by the conspirators from March to November of 1963. It was quite an extensive meeting. If one believes Douglas, the plot encompassed the CIA, FBI, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Lyndon Johnson, the American Mafia, Corsican hit men, and the Mossad. Talk about a grand conspiracy. And these were all involved before the actual assassination. So we are not just talking about the cover up. The grand master of the conspiracy is allegedly James Angleton, counter-intelligence chief of the CIA. If you know anything about Angleton, you realize how strained the Zipper documentation part of the book is. To believe that someone as secretive as Angleton would recruit all these people into the plot, and then keep an official record of it goes against everything we know about him. But according to Douglas, that is precisely what happened. Angleton kept a log of all meetings he had with his co-conspirators. The log is organized by date, time, and subject matter. And the log is not just of actual meetings. Even the phone calls Angleton made in furtherance of the plot are recorded. For instance, on April 10, 1963 Angleton's assistant called Sam Giancana about the Mafia Don's payments in aid of the plot. On October 24th, there was a phone call between Angleton and Giancana about the arrival of the Corsican assassins in Montreal. Angleton even included dates and times when he got reports from Sam Cummings of Interarmco on weaponry to be used in the shooting.

Besides the incredible thesis, there are other problems with this careless creation. For instance, Lyman Lemnitzer is listed as still being a member of the Joint Chiefs in April of 1963 (p. 92). He was not. Kennedy had replaced him with Maxwell Taylor several months before. If Hoover and the FBI were kept fully informed of the plot, then why was the FBI Director so puzzled by the Oswald machinations going on in Mexico City? To the point where, shortly after the assassination, he told President Johnson that there seemed to be an imposter for Oswald in Mexico. About the Mexico City episode, Douglas can actually write, "In point of fact, it matters not what Oswald did while in Mexico because this trip had no possible bearing on the allegations of assassination heaped onto a dead Oswald." (p. 99) In light of what we know today, this is incredible. It is clear now that Mexico City was meant to cinch the "Oswald in league with the Communists" angle of the conspiracy. That Johnson and Hoover a.) Did not buy it, and b.) Did not like it -- since it risked a war with either Russia or Cuba. And as commentators like John Newman have noted, this is where the fallback position of Oswald as the warped sociopath entered the scenario. And this is what the Warren Commission ended up running with. Just on the above grounds, the book seems a dubious concoction....

....III

As I said earlier, one of the things Kristina Borjesson was puzzled about was that Storch was pushing a book that his name was not on or in. That is not really puzzling. Because it appears that Storch is actually Douglas. Another pseudonym for Douglas is Peter Stahl. And this is where the story gets quite interesting. For it appears that, if anyone in the JFK community would have done any digging into the person, they would have found that Douglas/Stahl/Storch has spent a lifetime as a confidence man. He has been reported by some as counterfeiting such exotic items of art as Rodin statuettes. Another of his specialties seems to be faking documents about the Third Reich, which sometimes relate to the Holocaust. In fact, he wrote a four-volume set on Hitler's Gestapo Chief Heinrich Muller. Some believe the entire set is highly dubious. In fact, a group of people Douglas/Stahl has long been associated with are the Holocaust revisionists at Institute of Historical Review. They are so familiar with him and his past antics that one of them has set up a site detailing many of them. It makes quite an interesting read. And it is a puzzle to me how someone like Fetzer, who originally bought into Regicide -- and actually talked to Douglas/Stahl -- never found out about his past. (To his credit, Fetzer later reversed his opinion of the book and called it a likely hoax.)

One of the reasons Douglas was associated with these people is that he had a prior association with Willis Carto. Carto will be familiar to those who have read Mark Lane's book Plausible Denial (1991). Carto ran a small media conglomerate called the Liberty Lobby for a number of years. But there was a split in the ranks and the dissidents founded the IHR, while Carto's main publication was The Barnes Review. This is important because the TRB in TRB News, stands for The Barnes Review. As one commentator has noted about the site, although its archives contain some Holocaust revisionist material, a lot of the other stuff comes off as anti-Bush liberalism. But here is the problem. A lot of the material appears to be about as genuine as Regicide. Further, as that book was aimed at a target audience, and the Muller book also appeared aimed at a target audience, some of the "stories" on the site seem aimed at the growing resentment towards President Bush. To the point of making up false stories which are picked up by legitimate outlets but are later discredited. For instance, there was a story there saying that the Pentagon is grossly underreporting the number of casualties in Iraq. The story's by-line was by one Brian Harring who was supposed to have found a PDF file with the real numbers on them. And this story then spread to places like the liberal Huffington Post. Well, there is a Brian Harring, but as one can see by reading this entry (scroll down to the section entitled "Riots in the Streets"), he had nothing to do with this story and it appears that Stahl/Douglas is using his name against his will.

I could continue in this vein , but the point is that not only does Stahl/Storch/Douglas partake in what seem to be fraudulent books and stories, but -- like a classic confidence man -- he seems to aim them at certain audiences he knows will be predisposed to accept them. The latter stories I mentioned seem to be targeted at left/liberal sites in order to fool and then discredit them by the eventual exposure of false information.....

....Douglas picked none of them. He chose Mary Meyer. And then he writes almost two action-packed and lurid pages about her death. Including this: Crowley saw her mythological diary. It contained "references to her connection with Kennedy, the use of drugs at White House sex parties, and some very bitter comments about the role of her former husband's agency in the death of her lover the year before."

And this is not the only place Storch/Douglas pushes the "mystery" about Meyer.

V

There is someone else who is relentlessly pushing the Meyer-as-mysterious-death story. Jon Simkin runs a web site with a JFK forum on it. It is hard to figure out his basic ideas about President Kennedy's assassination. But if you look at some of his longer and more esoteric posts, they seem to suggest some vast, polyglot Grand Conspiracy. He calls it the Suite 8F Group -- which resembles the Texas based "Committee" from Farewell America. And when he discusses it, he actually uses the Torbitt Document as a reference. In a long post he made on 1/28/05 (4:51 PM) he offers an interpretation of Operation Mockingbird that can only be called bizarre. He actually tries to say that people like Frank Wisner, Joe Alsop, and Paul Nitze (who he calls members of the Georgetown Crowd), were both intellectuals and lefties who thought that -- get this -- FDR did not go far enough with his New Deal policies. (One step further, and the USA would have been a socialist country.) At another point, he writes " ... the Georgetown Group were idealists who really believed in freedom and democracy." This is right after he has described their work in the brutal Guatemala coup of 1954, which featured the famous CIA "death lists". He then says that Eisenhower had been a "great disappointment" to them. This is the man who made "Mr. Georgetown" i.e. Allen Dulles the CIA director and gave him a blank check, and his brother John Foster Dulles Sec. of State and allowed him to advocate things like brinksmanship and rollback. He then claims that JFK, not Nixon, was the Georgetown Crowd's candidate in 1960. Allegedly, this is based on his foreign policy and his anti-communism. Kennedy is the man who warned against helping French colonialism in Algeria in 1957. Who said -- in 1954 -- that the French could never win in Vietnam, and we should not aid them. Who railed against a concept that the Dulles brothers advocated, that is using atomic weapons to bail out the French at Dien Bien Phu. (Kennedy actually called this idea an act of lunacy). The notion is even more ridiculous when one considers the fact that, according to Howard Hunt, Nixon was the Action Officer in the White House for the CIA's next big covert operation: the Cuban exile invasion of Cuba. Which Kennedy aborted to their great dismay. Further, if Kennedy was the Georgetown Crowd's candidate for years, why did the CIA put together a dossier analysis, including a psychological profile of JFK, after he was elected? As Jim Garrison writes, "Its purpose ... was to predict the likely positions Kennedy would take if particular sets of conditions arose." (On the Trail of the Assassins, p. 60) Yet, according to Simkin, they already knew that. That's why they backed him. At the end of this breathtaking post, he advocates for a Suite 8F Group and Georgetown Crowd Grand Conspiracy (i.e. somewhat like Torbitt), or a lower level CIA plot with people like Dave Morales, Howard Hunt, and Rip Robertson (a rogue operation). Mockingbird was unleashed on 11/22/63 not because the CIA was involved in the assassination -- oh no -- but to cover up for the Georgetown/Suite 8F guys, or a renegade type conspiracy.

When I reviewed David Talbot's book Brothers, I criticized his section on Mary Meyer. Someone posted a link to my review on Simkin's forum. Simkin went after my critique of Talbot's Meyer section tooth and nail. (I should add here that Simkin has a long history of doing this. He goes after people who disagree with him on Meyer with a Bill O'Reilly type intensity. Almost as if he is trying to beat down any further public disagreement about his view of what happened to her.) In my review I simply stated that Talbot had taken at face value people who did not deserve to be trusted. And I specifically named Timothy Leary, James Truitt, James Angleton, and David Heymann. And I was quite clear about why they were not credible. At this time, I was not aware of an important fact: it was Simkin who had lobbied Talbot to place the Mary Meyer stuff in the book. Further, that he got Talbot in contact with a guy who he was also about to use to counter me. His name is Peter Janney.

Janney has been trying to get a screenplay made on the Meyer case for a while. He advocates the work of the late Leo Damore. Damore was working on a book about Meyer at the time of his death by self-inflicted gunshot wound. Janney says he has recovered a lot of the research notes and manuscripts that Damore left behind. Damore had previously written a book about Ted Kennedy and Chappaquiddick called Senatorial Privelege. That book used a collection of highly dubious means to paint Kennedy in the worst light. For instance, Damore misquoted the law to try and imply that the judge at the inquest was covering up for Kennedy. He used Kennedy's cousin Joe Gargan as a self-serving witness against him, even though Gargan had had a bitter falling out with the senator over an unrelated matter. He concocted a half-baked theory about an air pocket in the car to make it look like the victim survived for hours after the crash. This idea was discredited at length by author James Lange in Chappaquiddick: The Real Story (pgs. 82-89) In other words, Damore went out of his way to depict Kennedy's behavior as not just being under the influence, or even manslaughter, but tantamount to murder. The book's combination of extreme indictment with specious prosecutorial brief resulted in its ultimate rejection by its original publisher, Random House....

Edited by Tom Scully

http://www.ctka.net/djm.html

Beware: The Douglas/Janney/Simkin Silver Bullets

By James DiEugenio

The most sensational part of the book is the last. These documents are supposed to be a record of actual meetings held by the conspirators from March to November of 1963. It was quite an extensive meeting. If one believes Douglas, the plot encompassed the CIA, FBI, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Lyndon Johnson, the American Mafia, Corsican hit men, and the Mossad. Talk about a grand conspiracy. And these were all involved before the actual assassination. So we are not just talking about the cover up. The grand master of the conspiracy is allegedly James Angleton, counter-intelligence chief of the CIA. If you know anything about Angleton, you realize how strained the Zipper documentation part of the book is. To believe that someone as secretive as Angleton would recruit all these people into the plot, and then keep an official record of it goes against everything we know about him. But according to Douglas, that is precisely what happened. Angleton kept a log of all meetings he had with his co-conspirators. The log is organized by date, time, and subject matter. And the log is not just of actual meetings. Even the phone calls Angleton made in furtherance of the plot are recorded. For instance, on April 10, 1963 Angleton's assistant called Sam Giancana about the Mafia Don's payments in aid of the plot. On October 24th, there was a phone call between Angleton and Giancana about the arrival of the Corsican assassins in Montreal. Angleton even included dates and times when he got reports from Sam Cummings of Interarmco on weaponry to be used in the shooting.

I could continue in this vein , but the point is that not only does Stahl/Storch/Douglas partake in what seem to be fraudulent books and stories, but -- like a classic confidence man -- he seems to aim them at certain audiences he knows will be predisposed to accept them. The latter stories I mentioned seem to be targeted at left/liberal sites in order to fool and then discredit them by the eventual exposure of false information.....

....Douglas picked none of them. He chose Mary Meyer. And then he writes almost two action-packed and lurid pages about her death. Including this: Crowley saw her mythological diary. It contained "references to her connection with Kennedy, the use of drugs at White House sex parties, and some very bitter comments about the role of her former husband's agency in the death of her lover the year before."

And this is not the only place Storch/Douglas pushes the "mystery" about Meyer.

There is someone else who is relentlessly pushing the Meyer-as-mysterious-death story. Jon Simkin runs a web site with a JFK forum on it. It is hard to figure out his basic ideas about President Kennedy's assassination. But if you look at some of his longer and more esoteric posts, they seem to suggest some vast, polyglot Grand Conspiracy. He calls it the Suite 8F Group -- which resembles the Texas based "Committee" from Farewell America. And when he discusses it, he actually uses the Torbitt Document as a reference. In a long post he made on 1/28/05 (4:51 PM) he offers an interpretation of Operation Mockingbird that can only be called bizarre. He actually tries to say that people like Frank Wisner, Joe Alsop, and Paul Nitze (who he calls members of the Georgetown Crowd), were both intellectuals and lefties who thought that -- get this -- FDR did not go far enough with his New Deal policies. (One step further, and the USA would have been a socialist country.) At another point, he writes " ... the Georgetown Group were idealists who really believed in freedom and democracy." This is right after he has described their work in the brutal Guatemala coup of 1954, which featured the famous CIA "death lists". He then says that Eisenhower had been a "great disappointment" to them. This is the man who made "Mr. Georgetown" i.e. Allen Dulles the CIA director and gave him a blank check, and his brother John Foster Dulles Sec. of State and allowed him to advocate things like brinksmanship and rollback. He then claims that JFK, not Nixon, was the Georgetown Crowd's candidate in 1960. Allegedly, this is based on his foreign policy and his anti-communism. Kennedy is the man who warned against helping French colonialism in Algeria in 1957. Who said -- in 1954 -- that the French could never win in Vietnam, and we should not aid them. Who railed against a concept that the Dulles brothers advocated, that is using atomic weapons to bail out the French at Dien Bien Phu. (Kennedy actually called this idea an act of lunacy). The notion is even more ridiculous when one considers the fact that, according to Howard Hunt, Nixon was the Action Officer in the White House for the CIA's next big covert operation: the Cuban exile invasion of Cuba. Which Kennedy aborted to their great dismay. Further, if Kennedy was the Georgetown Crowd's candidate for years, why did the CIA put together a dossier analysis, including a psychological profile of JFK, after he was elected? As Jim Garrison writes, "Its purpose ... was to predict the likely positions Kennedy would take if particular sets of conditions arose." (On the Trail of the Assassins, p. 60) Yet, according to Simkin, they already knew that. That's why they backed him. At the end of this breathtaking post, he advocates for a Suite 8F Group and Georgetown Crowd Grand Conspiracy (i.e. somewhat like Torbitt), or a lower level CIA plot with people like Dave Morales, Howard Hunt, and Rip Robertson (a rogue operation). Mockingbird was unleashed on 11/22/63 not because the CIA was involved in the assassination -- oh no -- but to cover up for the Georgetown/Suite 8F guys, or a renegade type conspiracy.

When I reviewed David Talbot's book Brothers, I criticized his section on Mary Meyer. Someone posted a link to my review on Simkin's forum. Simkin went after my critique of Talbot's Meyer section tooth and nail. (I should add here that Simkin has a long history of doing this. He goes after people who disagree with him on Meyer with a Bill O'Reilly type intensity. Almost as if he is trying to beat down any further public disagreement about his view of what happened to her.) In my review I simply stated that Talbot had taken at face value people who did not deserve to be trusted. And I specifically named Timothy Leary, James Truitt, James Angleton, and David Heymann. And I was quite clear about why they were not credible. At this time, I was not aware of an important fact: it was Simkin who had lobbied Talbot to place the Mary Meyer stuff in the book. Further, that he got Talbot in contact with a guy who he was also about to use to counter me. His name is Peter Janney.

Janney has been trying to get a screenplay made on the Meyer case for a while. He advocates the work of the late Leo Damore. Damore was working on a book about Meyer at the time of his death by self-inflicted gunshot wound. Janney says he has recovered a lot of the research notes and manuscripts that Damore left behind. Damore had previously written a book about Ted Kennedy and Chappaquiddick called Senatorial Privelege. That book used a collection of highly dubious means to paint Kennedy in the worst light. For instance, Damore misquoted the law to try and imply that the judge at the inquest was covering up for Kennedy. He used Kennedy's cousin Joe Gargan as a self-serving witness against him, even though Gargan had had a bitter falling out with the senator over an unrelated matter. He concocted a half-baked theory about an air pocket in the car to make it look like the victim survived for hours after the crash. This idea was discredited at length by author James Lange in Chappaquiddick: The Real Story (pgs. 82-89) In other words, Damore went out of his way to depict Kennedy's behavior as not just being under the influence, or even manslaughter, but tantamount to murder. The book's combination of extreme indictment with specious prosecutorial brief resulted in its ultimate rejection by its original publisher, Random House....

The idea of this forum is for members to put forward their own theories on the assassination in a way that they can be debated by the research community.

Sometimes I start threads because I am convinced that there is a strong connection between certain individuals and the JFK Assassination. David Morales, Carl E. Jenkins and Chi Chi Quintero fall into this category. It is also true that I have a long standing interest in subjects like Operation 40 and the murder of Mary Pinchot Meyer that I suspect could be linked to the assassination of JFK.

I am also interested in the activities of Robert Trumbull Crowley who was clearly involved in the attempted elimination of Fidel Castro. It is this operation that I believe was turned against JFK.

I also start threads where I have an open mind on the subjects and I am only interested in creating a debate. This thread is an example of this. In fact, I have been convinced by the arguments of people like Bill Kelly and suspect that the Zipper files are indeed forgeries and Peter Stahl/Gregory Douglas/Walter Storch is a conman.

However, I am also aware of how the CIA deals with potential informers. I am reminded of the case of Gene Wheaton. In February, 1986, Paul Hoven introduced Wheaton to the left-wing lawyer, Danny Sheehan. Wheaton told Sheehan about a group of former CIA agents and assets were involved in illegal arms deals with the Contras in Nicaragua and the Mujahideen in Afghanistan. Those named included Tom Clines, Chi Chi Quintero, Ted Shackley, Richard Secord, Felix Rodriguez, Albert Hakim and Edwin Wilson. Wheaton also provided information about political assassinations that had been organized by members of the CIA.

Sheehan was general counsel for the Christic Institute, a small public-interest group supported by religious organizations. On 12th December, 1986, Sheehan submitted to the court an affidavit detailing the Irangate scandal. He also claimed that Thomas Clines and Ted Shackley were running a private assassination program that had evolved from projects they ran while working for the CIA. They added that it had begun with an assassination training program for Cuban exiles and the original target had been Fidel Castro.

The problem for Sheehan was that his investigation had been infiltrated by the CIA in the form of Carl E. Jenkins. He supplied information about illegal CIA activities that was later proved to be untrue.

It was eventually discovered that President Reagan had sold arms to Iran. The money gained from these sales was used to provide support for the Contras, a group of guerrillas engaged in an insurgency against the elected socialist Sandinista government of Nicaragua. Both the sale of these weapons and the funding of the Contras violated administration policy as well as legislation passed by Congress.

Shirley Brill, a former CIA official, published a 24 page affidavit in 1988. Brill had lived with Tom Clines in 1977 and claimed that he was involved in illegal activities with Raphael Quintero and a drug dealer living in Miami. After retiring from the CIA in 1978, Brill claims Clines joined forces with Ted Shackley, Richard Secord and Edwin Wilson in order to gain Pentagon contracts. Brill also argued that she heard Clines, Secord, Quintero and Shackley plotting to frame Wilson.

Sheehan went to see Edwin Wilson in prison and he confirmed that Shackley, Clines and Secord had been involved in shipping illegal arms to Nicaragua. Sheehan made a series of speeches where he advocated the impeachment of Ronald Reagan and George Bush. Several left-wing celebrities such as Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Don Henley and Kris Kristofferson, helped raised funds for the campaign being led by Sheehan and the Christic Institute.

On 23rd June, 1988, Judge James L. King ignored the evidence provided by Wheaton and Brill and instead concentrated on the material provided by Jenkins. The judge ruled that Sheehan's allegations were "based on unsubstantiated rumor and speculation from unidentified sources with no firsthand knowledge". In February, 1989, Judge King ruled that Sheenan had brought a frivolous lawsuit and ordered his Christic Institute to pay the defendants $955,000. This was one of the highest sanction orders in history and represented four times the total assets of the Christic Institute.

An anonymous article for The Journal of Defense and Diplomacy (it was assumed that it was written by Ted Shackley) claimed: "This attack (by Daniel Sheehan) is part of a long-range plan to weaken the entire U.S. intelligence community." It was suggested that Christic Institute was under the control of the Soviet Union.

What had started as a potentially devastating exposure of the CIA resulted in the destruction of Sheehan?

The same thing happened to Jim Garrison when his investigation was infiltrated by CIA assets, Dick Billings and Bernardo de Torres.

Is it possible that Crowley did have information that had the potential to expose links between the CIA and the assassination of JFK? If so, one way of dealing with him was bringing him into contact with someone who would undermine his testimony. Maybe Joe Trento was indeed working on behalf of the CIA (remember, Trento has always insisted that the CIA had nothing to do with the assassination of JFK)? When Crowley rejected the help of Trento the CIA arranged for him to be put into contact with Gregory Douglas, a man with a record that made it easy to discredit if Crowley ever went public with his information on the JFK assassination.

I was for a while a high-level volunteer at the Christic Institute and knew Sheehan, Honey et al. The idea that the CI, their lawsuit or the principals were 'controlled by the Soviet Union' (or even sympathetic with it) is a bad joke and the usual reflexive propaganda 'blame-a-commie' line. They were simply progressives who really believed in Peace, Justice, Democracy, Rule of Law, Fairness, etc. [in contrast to those who sought to - and did - destroy them]. Judge King was, IMO, an 'approved' Judge - and very conservative. His ruling was injudicious and the fine meanspirited - and he had his orders. It was just a legal {sic} way to assassinate the CI and the truth. While they had been fed some tainted information [on purpose - to explode in their face later], most of what they claimed was true or had strong basis in fact. Sheehan's tactical mistake was to try to include too much - not directly connected to the La Penca Bombing in the one case. The destruction of the lawsuit and CI was to teach a lesson to any who would dare to challenge the Secret Government with the truth in Court! They are not the first nor the last. Sadly. Most of those I knew back then are still demoralized by the outcome, as they know it was a travesty of justice - in a long line of such...... The 'bad guys' and the 'men behind the curtain' won against Law, Justice, Constitution and Humanity once again.

What I am arguing is that there is a pattern to these events. That when researchers get close to find out the truth about the "secret government", they are infiltrated by CIA assets, who end up masking the truth and discrediting the investigators. They also create a situation where researchers end up spending time discrediting each other. As happens on this forum.

"It was eventually discovered that President Reagan had sold arms to Iran. The money gained from these sales was used to provide support for the Contras, a group of guerrillas engaged in an insurgency against the elected socialist Sandinista government of Nicaragua. Both the sale of these weapons and the funding of the Contras violated administration policy as well as legislation passed by Congress."

The Iranian Revolution, ousting the US of A supported Shah and his terror organisation, had in the vanguard influential members of the Fourth International. The time between the ousting and the rise of the Ayatollahs, the attack by the US of A supported Iraq regime of Saddam Hussein resulted in a seven year long war to which the vanguard rushed to save the revolution and a million humans died. We said goodbye to our Iranian Comrades with sadness in our hearts and then we heard no more of them. The possibility of a warm water port was successfully averted, as well as decimating the Kurds on the side line. At the same time we were following the struggles in Nicaraghua (and El Salvador, Costa Rica) from early on, following the tracks of the guerillas such as Daniel Ortega and Commandante Zero. We saw the leadup and the struggle of the people against the US of A sponsored Contras as they justified themselves and then set about their reign of terror (where is Bruce Jones) and its meddling in the internal media in Nicaragua itself, we saw the oh so close success in El Salvador. We saw ArchBishop Romero shot and counted the endless dead from the death squads, we saw so much but the most amazing thing of all was to watch the nothing that the US of A people were generally fed.This is not news (just check the OZ SWP paper Direct Action from the period), maybe not certain names but certainly the role of the US of A Rulers and its minions running roughshod over anything in their way in any way that their terrorist experts could device.

Robert Crowley was one of the main sources for Joe Trento's "The Secret History of the CIA" (2001). I asked Joe yesterday what he thought of Gregory Douglas. He replied: "Gregory Douglas is a complete fake and xxxx. His so-called DIA documents are fabrications. He received nothing from Crowley."

• 6 months later...

More of Bill Kelly's fan mail:

Re: Your Reviews of 'Regicide'

Mr. (Gregory) Douglas, who does not like to get his hands dirty, sent me copies of some of your reviews of his book, 'Regicide' which I found, unintentionally of course, highly amusing.

First of all, it is my personal opinion that the subject of the Kennedy assassination has become a roosting place for legions of pompous blowhards, opinionated idiots and, often (like the Farrell woman) disinformation sources for the CIA.

I note with some humor that your commentaries were nothing more than ad homonym attacks on Douglas, who can obviously write circles around you, if your postings are any indication of your literary skills.

Jealousy is a wonderful goad because if brings all the frogs out of the pond at the same rime, just in time to be run over by a truck.

I know, because I personally shipped the books out, Douglas sold over 10,000 copies of 'Regicide' and is planning a rerun. Tell me, sir, what have you written, besides your phone number on lavatory walls? And might I ask here in conclusion, a most important question?

Are you anybody in particular?

Brian Harring

Bill Kelly: Gee Brian, I didn't say Gregory Douglas wasn't a good writer, of fiction. I would have thought you would have thanked me for promoting his book(s).

Who is Brian Harring?

UPDATE: TBRNews and the Real "Brian Harring"

by jbalazs 12, 2005 at 03:35:09 PM PST

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/7/12/18359/8939

those of you actually following the stories I've been posting concerning TBRNews.org, I have recieved further information on the real identity of Brian Harring (the so-called author of the de-bunked 9000 dead servicemen story). I have been in e-mail communication with him and he has authorized me to post this diary in the hopes that he can somehow clear his name.

Assuming everything he has told me is true and he isn't part of this whole scam, then this gentlemen needs some help, if only to get the truth out there.....

http://www.drlaniac.com/articles/view.asp?file=ConspiracyDisinfo.htm

Conspiracy Theories and Far-Right Disinformation The rabbit hole goes much deeper than you would ever believe. Or so the conspiracy theorists of the world would have you believe. But dig behind the scenes of the conspiracy crowd, and you'll find another conspiracy.

August 20, 2005

The Beginning

Back in June, an entry on The Huffington Post by Jim Lampley caught my attention one Sunday morning. Lampley linked to a story from TBRNews.org that stated there were thousands more US troops killed than was being reported by the Pentagon. Supposedly, they had secret documents showing this to be true.

The Bush Butcher's Bill: Officially, 52 US Military Deaths in Iraq from 1 through 15 May, 2005 – Official Total of 1,803 US Dead to date (and rising)

U.S. Military Personnel who died in German hospitals or en route to German hospitals have not previously been counted. They total about 6,210 as of 1 January, 2005. The ongoing, underreporting of the dead in Iraq, is not accurate. The DoD is deliberately reducing the figures. A review of many foreign news sites show that actual deaths are far higher than the newly reduced ones. Iraqi civilian casualties are never reported but International Red Cross, Red Crescent and UN figures indicate that as of 1 January 2005, the numbers are just under 100,000.

by Brian Harring, Domestic Intelligence Reporter

Note: There is excellent reason to believe that the Department of Defense is deliberately not reporting a significant number of the dead in Iraq. We have received copies of manifests from the MATS that show far more bodies shipped into Dover AFP than are reported officially. The educated rumor is that the actual death toll is in excess of 7,000. Given the officially acknowledged number of over 15,000 seriously wounded, this elevated death toll is far more realistic than the current 1,400+ now being officially published. When our research is complete, and watertight, we will publish the results along with the sources In addition to the evident falsification of the death rolls, at least 5,500 American military personnel have deserted, most in Ireland but more have escaped to Canada and other European countries, none of whom are inclined to cooperate with vengeful American authorities. (See TBR News of 18 February for full coverage on the mass desertions) This means that of the 158,000 U.S. military shipped to Iraq, 26,000 either deserted, were killed or seriously wounded. The DoD lists currently being very quietly circulated indicate almost 9,000 dead, over 16,000 seriously wounded* (See note below. This figure is now over 24,000 Ed) and a large number of suicides, forced hospitalization for ongoing drug usage and sales, murder of Iraqi civilians and fellow soldiers , rapes, courts martial and so on –

Because I cannot publish the DoD pdf file in this country (no one has said anything about it being published outside the country) I am working up a specific overview for posting and my lawyer has made the following suggestion for me. I think it's good and it certainly is legal.

I have a copy of the official DoD casualty list. I am alphabetizing it with the reported date of death following. TBR will post this list in sections and when this is circulated widely by veteran groups and other concerned sites, if people who do not see their loved one's names, are requested to inform their Congressman, their local paper, us and other concerned people as soon as possible.

The government gets away with these huge lies because they claim, falsely, that only soldiers actually killed on the ground in Iraq are reported. The dying and critically wounded are listed as en route to military hospitals outside of the country and not reported on the daily postings. Anyone who dies just as the transport takes off from the Baghdad airport is not listed and neither are those who die in the US military hospitals. Their families are certainly notified that their son, husband, brother or lover was dead and the bodies, or what is left of them (refrigeration is very bad in Iraq what with constant power outages) are shipped home, to Dover AFB. You ought to realize that President Bush personally ordered that no pictures be taken of the coffined and flag-draped dead under any circumstances. He claims that this is to comfort the bereaved relatives but is designed to keep the huge number of arriving bodies secret. Any civilian, or military personnel, taking pictures will be jailed at once and prosecuted. Bush has never attended any kind of a memorial service for his dead soldiers and never will. He is terrified some parent might curse him in front of the press or, worse, attack him. As Bush is a coward and in denial, this is not a surprise.

This listing program is about finished and we will start publishing in the very near future so act accordingly. If there is an actual variance of, say, 10 names, that is acceptable. 50 would indicate sloppiness and anything over 100 a positive sign of lying.

*The latest on the wounded: "Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, is a 150-bed hospital that's already seen over 24,000 wounded military patients from Iraq and Afghanistan since the commencement of hostilities ". Knight Ridder Newspapers June 6, 2005 (Note: The Pentagon refuses to publish accurate lists of any wounded. Ed)

Brian Harring

Haven't we had enough of this?

.....This is a fully alphabetized list of the official number of American dead in Iraq from the beginning of the Iraqi war through June 6, 2005.

There are many more deaths that have not appeared on the official lists because the DoD has taken the tricky tack of loading dying and probable fatalities onto aircraft and flying them out of Iraq to bases and hospitals outside of that country. So, if a GI is dying or has every expectation of dying, he or she is loaded on an aircraft and their subsequent deaths are not publicly reported as "Combat Deaths." Of course the families or survivors are certainly notified of the death but the public is not.

The purpose of publishing this alphabetical name list (which I will update monthly) is to encourage the families and friends of survivors to contact us with the names of these unreported casualties.

We suggest supplying the name, rank and unit of the individual as well as contact information for verification.

We have encountered serious objections to our publishing the original DoD pdf file that lists the actual dead, injured, deserters and so on so we are getting around this by publishing the original cover page and then reformatting the information contained inside the cover.

Because there are over a hundred pages of the dead alone, this project will take some time because I am doing it myself, without any assistance and please do not volunteer to assist me.

And to those who keep writing to me in care of TBR News wanting to know my name and address "so they can help me" or "because if you don't give me your name, SS number and address, I just can't believe a word you say." I can tell you that I have been around the academic world long enough to have learned not to give away my lengthy research to someone eager to get the credit, and the money, for my work.

They say that for an academic (or any writer for that matter) to steal from one person is plagiarism while stealing from many (like the late Steven Ambrose) is really research. And yes, I am working on a book and yes, I have a publisher so be good enough to bug off and do your own work.

As far as the demanders of my name and address are concerned, go spy on your neighbors and then run, panting, to the FBI to get your plastic pin and tin toy badge. Or better still, stick your head in a chipper and turn it on.

Update as of June 16, 2005: We have been receiving a surprising number of emails concerning U.S. military personnel who died but were not listed as Combat Deaths. Their names are not found on the public postings of the DoD. More later!

Brian Harring

US Military Report: The High Death Rates exposed by Brian Harring

The Anne Frank Diary Fraud

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=4197

by Brian Harring – TBR News.org

When Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin, she did so prompted by the highest of motives. Yet she, herself, relates the incident that when she first met Abraham Lincoln in 1863, he commented "So you are the little woman who wrote the book that made this great war!"

Few will deny that the printed word in this instance fanned the flames of passion which brought about one of the bloodiest and saddest wars of American history, with brother sometimes pitted against brother, father against son. Perhaps if there had been less appeal to the emotions the problems might have resolved themselves through peaceful means. However, almost universally read at the time, few people then recognized the potency of one small book or the injustice done the South through its wide acceptance as a fair picture of slavery in the South.

Propaganda, as a weapon of psychological warfare is in even wider use today. Communists were masters of the art. Often they used the direct approach; just as often they employed diversion tactics to focus the eyes and ears of the world in directions other than where the real conflict was being waged. For many years, through propaganda alone, the dead threat of Hitler and Nazism had been constantly held before the public in a diversion maneuver to keep attention from being directed against the live threat of Stalin, Khrushchev and Communism.

Such has been the effect, if not the deliberate intention of many who have promoted its distribution, of a book of popular appeal-The Diary Of Anne Frank. It has been sold to the public as the actual diary of a young Jewish girl who died in a Nazi concentration camp after two years of abuse and horror.

Many Americans have read the book or seen the movie version, and have been deeply moved by the real life drama it claims to present. But have we been misled in the belief that Anne Frank actually wrote this diary? And if so. should an author be permitted to produce a work of fiction and sell it to the world as fact, particularly one of such tremendous emotional appeal? ........

http://www.oilempire.us/afp.html

The American Free Press publishes "The Barnes Review," a neo-Nazi holocaust denial site that shares the same mailing address as AFP. The "Barnes Review" page www.barnesreview.org/Nobel_Prize/nobel_prize.html included this gem

Adolf Hitler: An Overlooked Candidate for the Nobel Prize

By Alex S. Perry Jr.

If anyone deserved the Nobel Peace Prize, it was Adolf Hitler. Hitler did not want war. World War II was forced on Germany.

Barnes Review offers a wide variety of neo-Nazi holocaust denial literature that severely tests any sane person's committment toward tolerating the First Amendment. It is interesting to see how AFP carefully "segregates" their Nazi literature onto the "Barnes" site, so that their AFP newspaper seems somewhat legitimate if you don't look closely at the organization.

Who was Barnes?

Holocaust Denial, a Definition

by Andrew E. Mathis

This entry on Holocaust denial appears in Conspiracy Theories in American History: An Encyclopedia. Written by a member of The Holocaust History Project, it discusses the history of this conspiracy belief in Europe and America.

... At the same time, antiwar historians, notably
Harry Elmer Barnes
, began to suggest conspiratorial motivations on the part of the major powers at war [note: World War I]. As historian Deborah Lipstadt has noted, Barnes and his colleagues were correct in many of their assumptions, for example, Germany was not solely at fault for the war (Serbia had, after all, fired the opening salvo); much anti-German propaganda spread during and after the war was, in fact, false; and there were war profiteers who made fortunes on the slaughter of the war (Lipstadt, (33-34)01). However, this did not change the essentially imperial nature of the war itself. Nevertheless, with the doubts of Barnes and his cohorts borne out through historical method, reports of German atrocities committed during World War II (this time true) would be treated with even greater skepticism.
Barnes, who lived into the late 1960s, was among the first Americans to embrace Holocaust denial.
[emphasis added]

Edited by William Kelly

• 3 months later...

Since Professor Fetzer has inserted one of Gregory Douglas' bogus documents into the JVB story, and has even reviewed one of his books, I thought reviving this thread might shed some light on the origin of the document and the disinformation behind the book and the man.

Since Mr. Douglas claims that former CIA officer Crowley is his source of the bogus documents, and Douglas has a history of promoting bogus stories and using aliases, he's sort of the Clifford Irving of secret history.

Crowley's family has said that the documents attributed to Crowley are fake, and were going to sue Douglas, but after checking into his background and discovering he has no visible assets worth seizing, they didn't think it worth pursing in court. That's a shame because you would think that you wouldn't pursue such a case for money, but for honor and the truth.

In any case, Douglas didn't like what I wrote about him and penned this note to me under yet another alias.

More of Bill Kelly's fan mail:

Re: Your Reviews of 'Regicide'

Mr. (Gregory) Douglas, who does not like to get his hands dirty, sent me copies of some of your reviews of his book, 'Regicide' which I found, unintentionally of course, highly amusing.

First of all, it is my personal opinion that the subject of the Kennedy assassination has become a roosting place for legions of pompous blowhards, opinionated idiots and, often (like the Farrell woman) disinformation sources for the CIA.

I note with some humor that your commentaries were nothing more than ad homonym attacks on Douglas, who can obviously write circles around you, if your postings are any indication of your literary skills.

Jealousy is a wonderful goad because if brings all the frogs out of the pond at the same rime, just in time to be run over by a truck.

I know, because I personally shipped the books out, Douglas sold over 10,000 copies of 'Regicide' and is planning a rerun. Tell me, sir, what have you written, besides your phone number on lavatory walls? And might I ask here in conclusion, a most important question?

Are you anybody in particular?

Brian Harring

Bill Kelly: Gee Brian, I didn't say Gregory Douglas wasn't a good writer, of fiction. I would have thought you would have thanked me for promoting his book(s).

Who is Brian Harring?

UPDATE: TBRNews and the Real "Brian Harring"

by jbalazs 12, 2005 at 03:35:09 PM PST

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/7/12/18359/8939

those of you actually following the stories I've been posting concerning TBRNews.org, I have recieved further information on the real identity of Brian Harring (the so-called author of the de-bunked 9000 dead servicemen story). I have been in e-mail communication with him and he has authorized me to post this diary in the hopes that he can somehow clear his name.

Assuming everything he has told me is true and he isn't part of this whole scam, then this gentlemen needs some help, if only to get the truth out there.....

http://www.drlaniac.com/articles/view.asp?file=ConspiracyDisinfo.htm

Conspiracy Theories and Far-Right Disinformation The rabbit hole goes much deeper than you would ever believe. Or so the conspiracy theorists of the world would have you believe. But dig behind the scenes of the conspiracy crowd, and you'll find another conspiracy.

August 20, 2005

The Beginning

Back in June, an entry on The Huffington Post by Jim Lampley caught my attention one Sunday morning. Lampley linked to a story from TBRNews.org that stated there were thousands more US troops killed than was being reported by the Pentagon. Supposedly, they had secret documents showing this to be true.

The Bush Butcher's Bill: Officially, 52 US Military Deaths in Iraq from 1 through 15 May, 2005 – Official Total of 1,803 US Dead to date (and rising)

U.S. Military Personnel who died in German hospitals or en route to German hospitals have not previously been counted. They total about 6,210 as of 1 January, 2005. The ongoing, underreporting of the dead in Iraq, is not accurate. The DoD is deliberately reducing the figures. A review of many foreign news sites show that actual deaths are far higher than the newly reduced ones. Iraqi civilian casualties are never reported but International Red Cross, Red Crescent and UN figures indicate that as of 1 January 2005, the numbers are just under 100,000.

by Brian Harring, Domestic Intelligence Reporter

Note: There is excellent reason to believe that the Department of Defense is deliberately not reporting a significant number of the dead in Iraq. We have received copies of manifests from the MATS that show far more bodies shipped into Dover AFP than are reported officially. The educated rumor is that the actual death toll is in excess of 7,000. Given the officially acknowledged number of over 15,000 seriously wounded, this elevated death toll is far more realistic than the current 1,400+ now being officially published. When our research is complete, and watertight, we will publish the results along with the sources In addition to the evident falsification of the death rolls, at least 5,500 American military personnel have deserted, most in Ireland but more have escaped to Canada and other European countries, none of whom are inclined to cooperate with vengeful American authorities. (See TBR News of 18 February for full coverage on the mass desertions) This means that of the 158,000 U.S. military shipped to Iraq, 26,000 either deserted, were killed or seriously wounded. The DoD lists currently being very quietly circulated indicate almost 9,000 dead, over 16,000 seriously wounded* (See note below. This figure is now over 24,000 Ed) and a large number of suicides, forced hospitalization for ongoing drug usage and sales, murder of Iraqi civilians and fellow soldiers , rapes, courts martial and so on –

Because I cannot publish the DoD pdf file in this country (no one has said anything about it being published outside the country) I am working up a specific overview for posting and my lawyer has made the following suggestion for me. I think it's good and it certainly is legal.

I have a copy of the official DoD casualty list. I am alphabetizing it with the reported date of death following. TBR will post this list in sections and when this is circulated widely by veteran groups and other concerned sites, if people who do not see their loved one's names, are requested to inform their Congressman, their local paper, us and other concerned people as soon as possible.

The government gets away with these huge lies because they claim, falsely, that only soldiers actually killed on the ground in Iraq are reported. The dying and critically wounded are listed as en route to military hospitals outside of the country and not reported on the daily postings. Anyone who dies just as the transport takes off from the Baghdad airport is not listed and neither are those who die in the US military hospitals. Their families are certainly notified that their son, husband, brother or lover was dead and the bodies, or what is left of them (refrigeration is very bad in Iraq what with constant power outages) are shipped home, to Dover AFB. You ought to realize that President Bush personally ordered that no pictures be taken of the coffined and flag-draped dead under any circumstances. He claims that this is to comfort the bereaved relatives but is designed to keep the huge number of arriving bodies secret. Any civilian, or military personnel, taking pictures will be jailed at once and prosecuted. Bush has never attended any kind of a memorial service for his dead soldiers and never will. He is terrified some parent might curse him in front of the press or, worse, attack him. As Bush is a coward and in denial, this is not a surprise.

This listing program is about finished and we will start publishing in the very near future so act accordingly. If there is an actual variance of, say, 10 names, that is acceptable. 50 would indicate sloppiness and anything over 100 a positive sign of lying.

*The latest on the wounded: "Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, is a 150-bed hospital that's already seen over 24,000 wounded military patients from Iraq and Afghanistan since the commencement of hostilities ". Knight Ridder Newspapers June 6, 2005 (Note: The Pentagon refuses to publish accurate lists of any wounded. Ed)

Brian Harring

Haven't we had enough of this?

.....This is a fully alphabetized list of the official number of American dead in Iraq from the beginning of the Iraqi war through June 6, 2005.

There are many more deaths that have not appeared on the official lists because the DoD has taken the tricky tack of loading dying and probable fatalities onto aircraft and flying them out of Iraq to bases and hospitals outside of that country. So, if a GI is dying or has every expectation of dying, he or she is loaded on an aircraft and their subsequent deaths are not publicly reported as "Combat Deaths." Of course the families or survivors are certainly notified of the death but the public is not.

The purpose of publishing this alphabetical name list (which I will update monthly) is to encourage the families and friends of survivors to contact us with the names of these unreported casualties.

We suggest supplying the name, rank and unit of the individual as well as contact information for verification.

We have encountered serious objections to our publishing the original DoD pdf file that lists the actual dead, injured, deserters and so on so we are getting around this by publishing the original cover page and then reformatting the information contained inside the cover.

Because there are over a hundred pages of the dead alone, this project will take some time because I am doing it myself, without any assistance and please do not volunteer to assist me.

And to those who keep writing to me in care of TBR News wanting to know my name and address "so they can help me" or "because if you don't give me your name, SS number and address, I just can't believe a word you say." I can tell you that I have been around the academic world long enough to have learned not to give away my lengthy research to someone eager to get the credit, and the money, for my work.

They say that for an academic (or any writer for that matter) to steal from one person is plagiarism while stealing from many (like the late Steven Ambrose) is really research. And yes, I am working on a book and yes, I have a publisher so be good enough to bug off and do your own work.

As far as the demanders of my name and address are concerned, go spy on your neighbors and then run, panting, to the FBI to get your plastic pin and tin toy badge. Or better still, stick your head in a chipper and turn it on.

Update as of June 16, 2005: We have been receiving a surprising number of emails concerning U.S. military personnel who died but were not listed as Combat Deaths. Their names are not found on the public postings of the DoD. More later!

Brian Harring

US Military Report: The High Death Rates exposed by Brian Harring

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=4197

by Brian Harring – TBR News.org

When Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin, she did so prompted by the highest of motives. Yet she, herself, relates the incident that when she first met Abraham Lincoln in 1863, he commented "So you are the little woman who wrote the book that made this great war!"

Few will deny that the printed word in this instance fanned the flames of passion which brought about one of the bloodiest and saddest wars of American history, with brother sometimes pitted against brother, father against son. Perhaps if there had been less appeal to the emotions the problems might have resolved themselves through peaceful means. However, almost universally read at the time, few people then recognized the potency of one small book or the injustice done the South through its wide acceptance as a fair picture of slavery in the South.

Propaganda, as a weapon of psychological warfare is in even wider use today. Communists were masters of the art. Often they used the direct approach; just as often they employed diversion tactics to focus the eyes and ears of the world in directions other than where the real conflict was being waged. For many years, through propaganda alone, the dead threat of Hitler and Nazism had been constantly held before the public in a diversion maneuver to keep attention from being directed against the live threat of Stalin, Khrushchev and Communism.

Such has been the effect, if not the deliberate intention of many who have promoted its distribution, of a book of popular appeal-The Diary Of Anne Frank. It has been sold to the public as the actual diary of a young Jewish girl who died in a Nazi concentration camp after two years of abuse and horror.

Many Americans have read the book or seen the movie version, and have been deeply moved by the real life drama it claims to present. But have we been misled in the belief that Anne Frank actually wrote this diary? And if so. should an author be permitted to produce a work of fiction and sell it to the world as fact, particularly one of such tremendous emotional appeal? ........

http://www.oilempire.us/afp.html

The American Free Press publishes "The Barnes Review," a neo-Nazi holocaust denial site that shares the same mailing address as AFP. The "Barnes Review" page www.barnesreview.org/Nobel_Prize/nobel_prize.html included this gem

Adolf Hitler: An Overlooked Candidate for the Nobel Prize

By Alex S. Perry Jr.

If anyone deserved the Nobel Peace Prize, it was Adolf Hitler. Hitler did not want war. World War II was forced on Germany.

Barnes Review offers a wide variety of neo-Nazi holocaust denial literature that severely tests any sane person's committment toward tolerating the First Amendment. It is interesting to see how AFP carefully "segregates" their Nazi literature onto the "Barnes" site, so that their AFP newspaper seems somewhat legitimate if you don't look closely at the organization.

Who was Barnes?

Holocaust Denial, a Definition

by Andrew E. Mathis

This entry on Holocaust denial appears in Conspiracy Theories in American History: An Encyclopedia. Written by a member of The Holocaust History Project, it discusses the history of this conspiracy belief in Europe and America.

... At the same time, antiwar historians, notably
Harry Elmer Barnes
, began to suggest conspiratorial motivations on the part of the major powers at war [note: World War I]. As historian Deborah Lipstadt has noted, Barnes and his colleagues were correct in many of their assumptions, for example, Germany was not solely at fault for the war (Serbia had, after all, fired the opening salvo); much anti-German propaganda spread during and after the war was, in fact, false; and there were war profiteers who made fortunes on the slaughter of the war (Lipstadt, (33-34)01). However, this did not change the essentially imperial nature of the war itself. Nevertheless, with the doubts of Barnes and his cohorts borne out through historical method, reports of German atrocities committed during World War II (this time true) would be treated with even greater skepticism.
Barnes, who lived into the late 1960s, was among the first Americans to embrace Holocaust denial.
[emphasis added]

• 2 years later...
Guest Tom Scully

Greg, I've emphasized that I am not interested in a popularity competition. Intimidate someone else, please.

Bill Kelly, you've been absent, why?

Quoted posts from the thread titled,

Questions for Peter Janney on his book Mary’s Mosaic

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=19058&st=195

(quote name='Michael Hogan' timestamp='1346272443' post='259019']

(quote name='Jim DiEugenio' timestamp='1346247956' post='259004']

I know how it works alright, especially with you as adjudicator.

Double yawn.

(/quote]

Robert's role in this thread has been more like that of a barrister, where the required competencies include

advocacy and interpersonal skills, an analytical mind and honed critical thinking abilities.

The real adjudicators are the people that have read or followed this thread. Each one of them can make up

their own mind about whose arguments contain winning merit.

Judging from Robert's posts and Jim's replies, that shouldn't prove too difficult.

(/quote]

Your contributions have been very good as well. In fact, in my opinion, Michael and Robert are the best two posters on this forum.

John, I am very disappointed your first comments on this thread in quite some time are a backhanded, but obvious rebuke of some through an endorsement of others. Not of their research contributions or their analysis of what author Peter Janney has said and published, versus that of those you rebuke. This seems quite a departure from what you include in your Spartacus pages.

Do you prefer research sharing and analysis, or opinions? You impressed me as a detail oriented person. I am getting an impression from you that you are more comfortable in the company of those you like than those who tell you what you don't what to hear, but who offer accurate and insightful details and analysis. I look forward to reading your argument that you have better served yourself by choosing to put so much stock in what Peter Janney has offered here, these past five years, and so little to what Jim DiEugenio has written about Janney and you.

Until I became more informed, I thought DiEugenio's "silver bullets" piece was extremely unfair to you, and unfair to Janney. I've come to believe you take opportunities to conduct yourself in the ways DiEugenio described in that piece. I am very said to say I think you took another opportunity to do so in your last post here.

Why do you appear to be acting so true to form, (as in DiEugenio's criticism). IMO, Peter Janney is a scoundrel and the members you just lavished praise on have done you no service, but what do I know? I speak with the confidence of what I have learned from looking as deeply into some of these matters as I have ever looked into anything.

You're a disappointment, Tom.

I had you down as jumping on within an hour to protest the verdict. Ninety one minutes is just not good enough. Lift your game.

John is entitled to his opinion and I'd warrant it's not one that would do badly in any poll among posters and readers.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vSZafFY9d7wJ:www.tbrnews.org/Archives/a2891.htm+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

TBR News November 10, 2008

The Slaughterhouse Informer

.....The Crowley Papers: The Vietnam War- 1945-1978

Edited by Dr. Peter Janney

On October 8th, 2000, Robert Trumbull Crowley, once a leader of the CIA's Clandestine Operations Division, died in a Washington hospital ....