The Education Forum

Qualifications

John,

I had seen the alledged gun long ago on Sam McClung's website, but I find it far from conclusive. To me it may as well be shadows. Frankly, "Badgeman" is much more persuasive to me .

And isn't that silencer on the end of the barrel? I thought many witnesses heard a loud bang from the grassy knoll? Mary Woodward mentioned an "ear shattering noise" coming from behind her.

Wim

John,

I had seen the alledged gun long ago on Sam McClung's website, but I find it far from conclusive. To me it may as well be shadows. Frankly, "Badgeman" is much more persuasive to me .

And isn't that silencer on the end of the barrel? I thought many witnesses heard a loud bang from the grassy knoll? Mary Woodward mentioned an "ear shattering noise" coming from behind her.

Wim

Greetings:

I've had fairly extensive dealings with Sam over the years and I find him to be an honorable and honest researcher. That said, I too am not convinced by that photo-work. However, I find it intriguing enough to be worthy of more extensive study. B)

A Sonic-Suppressor acts by deflecting the muzzle blast in a direction away from the shooter, usually to the sides and rear of the shooter thus is not a true silencer in the strict use of the term. If memory serves, the FN Sonic-Suppressor also doubles as a recoil compensator to control barrel jump thus allowing the shooter to maintain target lock for a quick second shot if necessary. Thus, anyone not in the trajectory path would probably hear a fairly normal sharp report from the muzzle blast gasses. But that is just my guess not having actually employed such a device. Gunny Hathcock to my knowledge never bothered with such devices being content to just lay a piece of cloth below the muzzle of his rifle to keep dust from kicking up and exposing his position_that is during those times when he wanted to conceal himself. He was known by the VC and NVA as the White Feather Sniper because with the scoped .50BMG he liked to use he was simply too far out of range for any counter-fire so he wanted them to know who was killing them thus he took to wearing a white feather so he could be easily seen by the enemy.

IMO, the Grassy-Knoll Shooter's major concern would have been counter-fire from his target area thus necessitating some form of muzzle blast suppression allowing him those critical few seconds during the confusion to effect his escape from the area.

Respectfully: