The Education Forum

communications override/hacking?

4 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

Hi Eddy,  I did recently comment on Steve's thread about possible jamming on the police frequencies - which I don't see happening since it would be really obvious, at a minimum static at an amplitude two to three times the volume of the regular police transmissions since it would have to totally override them.  I'll go back and look at the other thread, while I certainly can see the possibility of  radio communication in play among the tactical team I think it would be much more in the nature of very local "walkie talkie" class communications. Its more likely you have visual signaling among a tactical team, such as the fellow raising and lowering his arm on main street.  In any event,  I'm not sure I see the advantage of working with equipment which would intrude on police frequencies...what do you think would be the purpose?

Larry,

I kind of hoped you would weigh in on this. I think you have a whole lot more expertise in this area than I do.

I have to believe that the scientists who spent thousands of hours going over the dictabelt recordings would have raised the possibility of jamming a long time ago.

But, I wondered. Disrupting radio communications would definitely have served the purpose of sowing confusion.

I have to laugh. Mine was not "idle" speculation. Forlorn maybe? (Merriam Webster definition forlorn: " pitifully sad" )

*smile*

Steve Thomas

Steve,  its certainly an interesting subject and I recall my own time slaving over the recordings...back in the days where all were had were copies on cassette..   At this point I just can't come up with a scenario which would make messing with DPD comms in that fashion worth the trouble or risk.  Interestingly something of that sort did happen in regard to the MLK assassination but that involved CB radio, and what proved to be a very effective police diversion.

The question I guess is who could have jammed Police radio communications and how would it be done? Were there any contemporary reports that suggest something like this might have happened?