The Education Forum

2006 World Cup

Mark Stapleton

There's only a few days left before the start of the World Cup so it might be time for some of our football experts to give us their fearless predictions.

I'll start off by predicting a Holland v. Spain final with Spain the winner. From my reading of the draw it seems that a team from Pool A to D must play against a team from Pools E to H in the final--unless they crossover in the Semi Finals. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This would mean an England-Germany final cannot occur.

At the risk of ending with egg on my face, I don't think Brazil can make the final. History shows that Brazil don't go that well in Europe. The only time they have been successful in Eurpoe was in 1958 when they beat Sweden in the final in Stockholm. History points to a European champion.

I expect the last eight to be Germany, England, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, France, Portugal, Spain.

I think England could get to the semi-finals but fully expect Brazil to win the trophy. It has been argued that Brazil does not do well when the finals are held in Europe. However, that was before nearly all Brazil's team played their club games in Europe.

I hopethat Italy win it but I do othink this time they have a good chance as I think the squad is a vast improvement on the last world cup, and so far Italy's current team have been unbeaten in their last 18 matches. As long as they can attack as well as they defend I think they have a good chance.

I also think Spain and Mexico are two very good sides that I think are often underrated, and Argentina and the Czech Republic have a good chance too.

In short if Italy don't win I hope anyone but Brazil do! When it comes to football, I think they are to Italy what Argentina is to England :tomatoes

There's only a few days left before the start of the World Cup so it might be time for some of our football experts to give us their fearless predictions.

I'll start off by predicting a Holland v. Spain final with Spain the winner. From my reading of the draw it seems that a team from Pool A to D must play against a team from Pools E to H in the final--unless they crossover in the Semi Finals. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This would mean an England-Germany final cannot occur.

At the risk of ending with egg on my face, I don't think Brazil can make the final. History shows that Brazil don't go that well in Europe. The only time they have been successful in Eurpoe was in 1958 when they beat Sweden in the final in Stockholm. History points to a European champion.

Recent history shows that Brazil will make the final because I moved here in 1993 and they've made it every Cup since then after a 24 year absence! :tomatoes LOL They should win it too because they are 5 - 2 in finals and 2 -1 since I've been here.

These historic patterns prove little, France never made it to the finals before '98, Germany and Brazil played in every postwar Cup and one or the other made it to every post-war final except '78 (when Brazil came in 3rd) but they never played each other in the Cup till the last final. Also Brazil did make it to the finals in France and Argentina made it to the final in Italy so Mark's prediction off an all European final goes against recent history.

Cup history goes against Mark's prediction. There was only Cup where Brazil, Germany or the host country didn't make it to the final that was 1938, there was only one Cup where neither finalist had been a finalist before that was 1934

Brazil as always will be the teem to beat but there are a lot of stong teams and always surprises, no one expected Germany or Brazil to do well lat time and who would have expected South Korea would make it to semis?

As for my homeland The US doubt they'll make it to the 2nd round

Len

Edited by Len Colby

That's one for Spain and one for Brazil so far. Andy Walker's predictions are conspicuously absent.

This is because my country of birth was not permitted to qualify.

This is largely due to the continuing occupation by the English rather than any lack of ability.

We are not allowed to be members of FIFA only the English FA.

We did however beat Scotland 1-0 in the final of the Celtic Nations Cup in 2000 - not bad of an island of 70,000 people :blink:

man.jpg

That's one for Spain and one for Brazil so far. Andy Walker's predictions are conspicuously absent.

This is because my country of birth was not permitted to qualify.

This is largely due to the continuing occupation by the English rather than any lack of ability.

We are not allowed to be members of FIFA only the English FA.

We did however beat Scotland 1-0 in the final of the Celtic Nations Cup in 2000 - not bad of an island of 70,000 people :blink:

man.jpg

Interesting bio Andy, but who is your selection to win the 2006 World Cup?

Recent history shows that Brazil will make the final because I moved here in 1993 and they've made it every Cup since then after a 24 year absence! :blink: LOL They should win it too because they are 5 - 2 in finals and 2 -1 since I've been here.

These historic patterns prove little, France never made it to the finals before '98, Germany and Brazil played in every postwar Cup and one or the other made it to every post-war final except '78 (when Brazil came in 3rd) but they never played each other in the Cup till the last final. Also Brazil did make it to the finals in France and Argentina made it to the final in Italy so Mark's prediction off an all European final goes against recent history.

Cup history goes against Mark's prediction. There was only Cup where Brazil, Germany or the host country didn't make it to the final that was 1938, there was only one Cup where neither finalist had been a finalist before that was 1934

Brazil as always will be the teem to beat but there are a lot of stong teams and always surprises, no one expected Germany or Brazil to do well lat time and who would have expected South Korea would make it to semis?

As for my homeland The US doubt they'll make it to the 2nd round

Len

There have been nine World Cups held in Europe since the competition began in 1930. Despite being the only nation to have competed in every World Cup, Brazil have only won once (1958) in Europe. They also have won in Chile (1962), Mexico (1970), USA (1994) and Japan (2002).

In other words, Brazil have won four of the eight non-European hosted World Cups to date giving them an amazing strike rate of 50%. By contrast, they have only managed one victory in the nine European hosted World Cups, giving them a less impressive strike rate of 11.11% in this category. The historical record is unambiguous. Brazil perform better in non-European hosted World Cups.

Despite this, Brazil are the #1 ranked team in the world thus deserve their status as favorites to win. I don't think they will.

Edited by Mark Stapleton

You should not forget the under dogs and that's why I say we, Switzerland, are going to win this time! I see you all laughing but who of you did think that Greece would win the Euro 2004??? I'm sure nobody! So you should not underestimate our Köbi Kuhn who is a hell of a strategic coach. He went to Athens several times within the last few months and came back, his pockets filled with secrets he discovered. Some sources, who used to be well informed said that the entire team only ate Greek cusine for the last couple of weeks. It is for example known that Feta cheese made their legs so strong and agile like the ones of the goats its milk the cheese is made of. So they now can run for more than two hours without breathing and instead of sweat they transpire now a new sort of olive oil. Finally not to forget the psychological effect it will has when they all will enter the stadium disguised as Greek Gods!

But before you think I completely lost my mind or that I’m already drunk even the World Cup hasn’t started yet, my tip is...

SPAIN, olé

:D:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
I expect the last eight to be Germany, England, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, France, Portugal, Spain.

Seven out of eight. My predicted last four is Germany, England, Brazil and Ukraine. Yes, I expect Italy to lose to Ukraine. I think the pressure will get to them as it did against Australia. They will find it difficult to score against Ukraine and expect Shevchenko to get the winner.

I had been debating (largely with myself - nothing new there) whether it would bew better for England to lose to Germany or Argentina, in the event of two more fortuitous results. I had chosen Germany before today, and admit to being happy with the outcome, if less so with the way (and the spirit in which) the game was played.

I think the result will help England as I could not see us beating Argentina. However, I do think we stand a good chance against Germany. I think both Rooney and Cole can unlock Germany's defence. At the sametime our defence should be able to handle Germany's attack. However, first we have to beat Portugal and Brazil.