The Education Forum

Clay Shaw's military careerI'm trying to find outI

I am trying to find out whether Clay Shaw worked for the OSS during World War 2. Seems to be divided opinion - some of the stuff I read says he did but other books etc say not. I also read on a site that claimed Shaw worked was the OSS liaison officer to Winston Churchill but there was no source to say where this information came from. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I'm trying to find out for something I'm writing for the DPUK Echo. I'd be grateful for any help.Thanks

I am trying to find out whether Clay Shaw worked for the OSS during World War 2. Seems to be divided opinion - some of the stuff I read says he did but other books etc say not. I also read on a site that claimed Shaw worked was the OSS liaison officer to Winston Churchill but there was no source to say where this information came from. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I'm trying to find out for something I'm writing for the DPUK Echo. I'd be grateful for any help.Thanks

Francesca,

John Judge did some research into Shaw's WWII records and believe he started out in the US Army medical corps, Europe, before becoming assistant to Gen. Charles Thrasher, who was responsible for supplies in the Eurpean theater.

But that just scratches the surface. I'm sure there's more to the story worth pursuing.

BK

Hi William,

thanks for replying. I have found someone who served with Shaw in a medical unit in England but when they went to France says he didn't see him after that and I was trying to find out if this is when he started working for the OSS, if in fact he did and what else he did then.

Hi William,

thanks for replying. I have found someone who served with Shaw in a medical unit in England but when they went to France says he didn't see him after that and I was trying to find out if this is when he started working for the OSS, if in fact he did and what else he did then.

Francesca;

Although I can not immediately quote the exact source, Clay Shaw became assigned to the OSS, working in the "Recovery" section.

This section of the OSS was assigned responsibility for attempting to track down and recover the stolen monies; gold; silver; art; art objects; antiquities; etc; etc; etc; which Hitler had looted from the countries which he over ran, as well as what was confiscated from the German Jews.

In that regards, Clay Shaw was assigned to and worked with that section which had responsibilitly for recovery of stolen art works.

Somewhere, boxed away, I have much of this information as well as the source data.

However, in one Government file, information relative to Clay Shaw was found boxed in the same box as the records which dealt with the I. G. Farben case.

It is suspected, though certainly not confirmed, that Clay Shaw still performed "contract" work for the CIA, relative to the continuation of the search for stolen items.

If accurate, then this information explains Clay Shaw's interests in South American countries, and especially those in which considerable numbers of German Nazi's fled to after the fall of Germany.

It should also be noted that JFK was "pushing hard" for the recovery and return to the rightful owners of many millions of dollars of this stolen property.

Much of which was known to be stashed away in Swiss Banks.

Francesca,

in case you haven't come across it, the person behind this website may be interested in swapping info on Shaw:

http://www.clayshaw.net/index.html

Hi William,

Francesca;

Although I can not immediately quote the exact source, Clay Shaw became assigned to the OSS, working in the "Recovery" section.

This section of the OSS was assigned responsibility for attempting to track down and recover the stolen monies; gold; silver; art; art objects; antiquities; etc; etc; etc; which Hitler had looted from the countries which he over ran, as well as what was confiscated from the German Jews.

In that regards, Clay Shaw was assigned to and worked with that section which had responsibilitly for recovery of stolen art works.

Somewhere, boxed away, I have much of this information as well as the source data.

However, in one Government file, information relative to Clay Shaw was found boxed in the same box as the records which dealt with the I. G. Farben case.

It is suspected, though certainly not confirmed, that Clay Shaw still performed "contract" work for the CIA, relative to the continuation of the search for stolen items.

If accurate, then this information explains Clay Shaw's interests in South American countries, and especially those in which considerable numbers of German Nazi's fled to after the fall of Germany.

It should also be noted that JFK was "pushing hard" for the recovery and return to the rightful owners of many millions of dollars of this stolen property.

Thomas, thanks very much for the info! II did not not know of Shaw being assigned to recover stolen art works.If you could find the info and the source where it came from if it isn't too much trouble I'd be very grateful!

Francesca,

in case you haven't come across it, the person behind this website may be interested in swapping info on Shaw:

http://www.clayshaw.net/index.html

Greg,

thanks, I had not seen this site before. Looks like it may be a site that is geared towards defending him but anyway interesting nonetheless. I wonder who this man is behind this website, I have not heard heard of this Donald Carpenter before in a research context.

Hi William,

Francesca;

Thomas, thanks very much for the info! II did not not know of Shaw being assigned to recover stolen art works.If you could find the info and the source where it came from if it isn't too much trouble I'd be very grateful!

Francesca;

The information is located somwhere in one of the multitudes of boxes of information which I have gathered over the years, and keep digging through and moving about.

No doubt that I will stumble across it again at some time or another, but at the exact momemt, I do not even know which shed it is located in, not to mention what box.

Nevertheless, I always suspicioned that this was the primary reason that Clay Shaw was fed to the sharks.

He had touched a few nerves in attempting to feed the government information relative to classical art works which quite probably had found their way into the homes of the "elite" of New Orleans.

Nothing better than to kill at least two birds with one stone.

Send the JFK assassination buffs on another witch hunt, and get rid of one of their own who was interfering in the enjoyment of their upper class games.