The Education Forum

I Never Called Him Lyndon

In case you have not seen the book "Love Field" by Nellie Connally, Chapter Four is entitled: "I never called him Lyndon."

In it Mrs. Connally states that she had once worked for a committee, headed by LBJ, raising money for congressional raises. Her job was answering the phone and she thought she was quite good at it; "defelecting prying journalists and spying Republicans" and making every donor feel important.

She relates an incident in which she accidentally disconnected LBJ from a major California donor:

"I didn't even know I had done it until I felt the breeze from a heavy object sail past my head, stirring my hair. A book thudded against the wall. [LBJ] didn't cuss me out and I learned his aim with blunt objects was too good and well practiced to miss except on purpose."

She goes on:

"I never disconnected a call again, and always called him by his title--Congressman, Senatorm Vice-President, or Mt. Johnson, but never Lyndon."

An interesting anecdote about LBJ's character, I thought.

Let us not, however, infer from his throwing books at secretaries that he would shoot his boss.

Edited by Tim Gratz

Let us not, however, infer from his throwing books at secretaries that he would shoot his boss.

I suspect, though, that he did shoot his boss, and part of the tragedy is that no judge got to throw the book at him for it.

Ron

Ron,

I'll even raise the stakes by suggesting his boss was not the only person Mr. Vice President dispatched to the morgue. Good post, by the way.

Tim,

Two things about the post;

1. Is ladybird still alive ?

2. Has she ever stated publicly what she thought about LBJ's affairs ?

Ron,

I'll even raise the stakes by suggesting his boss was not the only person Mr. Vice President dispatched to the morgue. Good post, by the way.

Tim,

Two things about the post;

1. Is ladybird still alive ?

2. Has she ever stated publicly what she thought about LBJ's affairs ?

She was at Reagans funeral so i assume she is still allive

john

Mark, I'm sure you've got that right.

As you know, I don't think LBJ did it, but if he did, wonder if she knows (or suspects)?

She and Jack Valenti were behind the cencorship of TMWKK portion regarding her husband "The Guilty Men". Barr has been contemplating litigation ever since, not sure where that presently stands. Tho I think the actual litigation may be more over the HC "response" to that hour, the so-called "three historians" take a look at Barr McClellan. That was disgusting, they did not discuss the evidence in the piece at all, just slandered Barr.

IMO I think she knows the truth about most of what her husband did and has kept quiet and will go to her death that way.

Dawn

Again with the clear caveat that I do not think LBG did it, I recently read somewhere speculation--and it cannot be more than that--that Lady Bird financed the assassination.

Again let me reiterate that I do not assert that either LBJ or Lady Bird had anything to do with the assassination itself (We all know LBJ helped orchestrate the cover-up) but if LBJ did do it is hard to believe his wife did not know before the assassination or find out afterwards.

As you know, I don't think LBJ did it, but if he did, wonder if she knows (or suspects)?

She and Jack Valenti were behind the cencorship of TMWKK portion regarding her husband "The Guilty Men".

What's wrong with them doing that? We have no concrete evidence that in 1963 the vice president murdered the president. Millions of people got a chance to watch and record TMWKK in November of 2003. Is Jack Valenti raiding people's homes to seize their DVDs? Please explain.

Barr has been contemplating litigation ever since, not sure where that presently stands.

You mean to tell me that the TV commentators and newspaper / magazine reporters who said Oswald did it were either crooked or stupid, that the publishers of Encyclopedia Britannica and the World Book are either crooked or stupid, and on top of this whole mess of crooked and stupid people there stands tall one person named Barr McClelland? And he waited until the assassination was forty years old before he said anything publicly? Go, Jack Valenti!

Tho I think the actual litigation may be more over the HC "response" to that hour, the so-called "three historians" take a look at Barr McClellan. That was disgusting, they did not discuss the evidence in the piece at all, just slandered Barr.

IMO I think she knows the truth about most of what her husband did and has kept quiet and will go to her death that way.

Dawn

She and Jack Valenti were behind the cencorship of TMWKK portion regarding her husband "The Guilty Men".

What's wrong with them doing that? We have no concrete evidence that in 1963 the vice president murdered the president. Millions of people got a chance to watch and record TMWKK in November of 2003. Is Jack Valenti raiding people's homes to seize their DVDs? Please explain.

Barr has been contemplating litigation ever since, not sure where that presently stands.

You mean to tell me that the TV commentators and newspaper / magazine reporters who said Oswald did it were either crooked or stupid, that the publishers of Encyclopedia Britannica and the World Book are either crooked or stupid, and on top of this whole mess of crooked and stupid people there stands tall one person named Barr McClelland? And he waited until the assassination was forty years old before he said anything publicly? Go, Jack Valenti!

Tho I think the actual litigation may be more over the HC "response" to that hour, the so-called "three historians" take a look at Barr McClellan. That was disgusting, they did not discuss the evidence in the piece at all, just slandered Barr.

Dawn

Oh no the 21 year old is back.

I did not say Barr is some expert in Who killed JFk. He just wrote what he knows about and that happens to include Lyndon Johnson. I think as partner of the law firm that represented LBJ he was in a better position to judge this than are you.

As for waiting 40 years, he had been trying to get his book puslished for a good 10 years before that. Since when does the age of the evidence or someone's personal story have any relation to how credible it is?

Dawn Meredith

Again with the clear caveat that I do not think LBG did it, I recently read somewhere speculation--and it cannot be more than that--that Lady Bird financed the assassination.

Again let me reiterate that I do not assert that either LBJ or Lady Bird had anything to do with the assassination itself (We all know LBJ helped orchestrate the cover-up) but if LBJ did do it is hard to believe his wife did not know before the assassination or find out afterwards.

Tim,

This is the very point. While some may divide the assassination into parts ie. assassination and coverup, it's enough to know that he orchestrated the coverup to convict him of involvement. Forget about caveats--he's involved. The final green light had to come from LBJ, making him a conspirator at both the pre and post assassination levels. To think this intricate assassination would be planned without the knowledge and approval of the man slated to step into the breech and assume such awesome responsibilities (especially concerning the coverup) is fanciful. As you yourself suggested, give the man his due. I won't be revealing how much Fidel paid me to write this but I will say this--those hand rolled Havanas are great but they can give you a sore throat!

Mark, arguments from analogy can be weak, but:

assume Mark Fuhrman KNEW in his mind that O.J. was guilty so he planted some evidence (the glove as I recall). One could consider such conduct tantamount to a "cover-up". But that does not mean that Fuhrman killed Nicole.

By the same token, the mere fact that the KGB faked the Hunt letter does not necessarily mean the KGB killed Kennedy.

Whether true evidence or evidence manufactured by clever plotters, there was plenty of evidence pointing toward the Soviets and/or the Cubans. The "cover up" could have been motivated by LBJ's unwillingness to open what he saw as a Pandora's box.

And what if LBJ was concerned an investigation would reveal the plotters were linked to him (oil barons, defense tycoons, whoever)? He might have been concerned that would then look like he was involved even if he was innocent. He might have had a not unrealistic concern that a guilty person could try to get bargaining chips by pointing the finger at him.

There are just a myriad of reasons why the cover-up is not neccessarily linked to the assassination. Otherwise you might as well include RFK as well as LBJ. RFK had the legal authority over the DOJ after all.

Please read "The Assassination Tapes". With all due respect, it might be helpful if you at first spent time reading the available books and other resource materials rather than posting your theories. I think it significant for instance that it was RFK who requested the presence of both Dulles and McCloy on the WC.

Edited by Tim Gratz