The Education Forum

2007 Cricket World Cup: The death of Bob Woolmer

Well, what do our eternal optimists think of England's chances?

That's you Steve, John and Andy (you're a Pom for mine, Andy).

Let's see now.....I'll just unlock this virtual English World Cup trophy cabinet using my special virtual trophy cabinet key...and discover....mmm....yep, it's empty. Zip. Not a sausage. A simple case of non-presence, as Monty Python would say.

Sadly, the egg and spoon race trophy cabinet was equally threadbare. Don't give me any stuff about England winning the recent tri-nation circus in Australia--it's common knowledge that the entire summer of cricket here in Australia was a cleverly concieved conspiracy designed to send the barmy army barmy.

Has it succeeded? You tell me.

Cricinfo has some good previews:

http://www1.cricinfo.com/worldcup2007/

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see now.....I'll just unlock this virtual English World Cup trophy cabinet using my special virtual trophy cabinet key...and discover....mmm....yep, it's empty. Zip. Not a sausage. A simple case of non-presence, as Monty Python would say.

Sadly, the egg and spoon race trophy cabinet was equally threadbare. Don't give me any stuff about England winning the recent tri-nation circus in Australia--it's common knowledge that the entire summer of cricket here in Australia was a cleverly concieved conspiracy designed to send the barmy army barmy.

England have a better chance of winning the World Cup than Australia.

Having said that I believe India will win.

Guest Stephen Turner

Mark, as regards Australia, we are going to utilise the Gough Whitlam strategy. As far as the rest go, Blair is asking Bush to add them to the circle of infamy, or what ever he's calling it these days.

I rate India, the West Indies and Australia as the best chances--in that order.

Australia have a lesser chance than that of Bermuda - both being teams of fat old men with the Australians being somewhat fatter and somewhat older :rolleyes:

I rate India, the West Indies and Australia as the best chances--in that order.

Australia have a lesser chance than that of Bermuda - both being teams of fat old men with the Australians being somewhat fatter and somewhat older :tomatoes

Maybe a little harsh, Andy. Merv Hughes retired several years back.

It's a pity I couldn't make it over there. I'm curious to learn whether they really pass the duchie from the left hand side.

• 2 weeks later...
I see the police in Bermuda now regard Bob Woolmer's sudden death as suspicious. Gambling interests have been mentioned as possible suspects.

The timing of his death was quite bizarre, imo.

I cannot imagine he would have committed suicide. Despite the loss against Ireland he could still get a major job in cricket. Maybe he knew about the decision to lose the game against Ireland. Interestingly, Irish punters had a very bad Cheltenham, the National Hunt festival that took place the previous week. It will be interesting to see how many people backed Ireland to win the match.

Things just keep getting more bizarre. Now Bob Kerr, former boss of the Irish Cricket Union (ICU) has collapsed and died from an apparent heart attack in Jamaica:

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/wc2007/con...ory/286549.html

I didn't notice it before, but Pakistan's ill fated match against Ireland was played on St. Patricks Day. If I had known this, I probably would have backed Ireland myself.

The most crucial game of the series so far will be played at the Queens Park ground in Jamaica on March 23 between India and Sri Lanka. Having lost earlier to Bangladesh, India must win or they will join Pakistan as early casualties of this tournament. I think India will win. Sehwag is in top form (I predict he will emerge as player of the tournament).

Things just keep getting more bizarre. Now Bob Kerr, former boss of the Irish Cricket Union (ICU) has collapsed and died from an apparent heart attack in Jamaica.

According to the former Pakistani fast bowler Safraz Nawaz: “Woolmer’s death has some connection with the match-fixing mafia.” It has to be remembered that Woolmer was coach when South African players under the leadership of Hansie Cronje, took bribes to lose test matches. Cronje was killed in a plane crash before he told the full story of the match-fixing scandal.

Woolmer was also rumoured to be writing a book where he planed to explain what he knew about match-fixing. His co-author now claims this was not the case, however, the match-fixing mafia were not to know that.

Gill Woolmer has been quick to say that her husband did not die in suspicious circumstances. Grant Stockdale’s wife said the same thing in 1963. We now know why she said this (the lives of her children were being threatened). Dr David Kelly said the same thing after his death. We also know why she said it as well.

Gill Woolmer is apparently wrong. It has just now been confirmed that Bob Woolmer was strangled. A full murder investigation is now ensuing.

Details here, http://www.jamaicapolice.org.jm/index.html . This is probably the worst website that I have ever seen for a police force. Let us hope that they are more professional in their policing than they are in their web design.

John

Are you guys talking about soccer, cricket, or badminton? I thought that the World Cup was soccer ("football"), but maybe there's a World Cup for everything? You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but to us Americans "football" means only one thing. The real thing! And a "cricket" is something that chirps.

Are you guys talking about soccer, cricket, or badminton? I thought that the World Cup was soccer ("football"), but maybe there's a World Cup for everything? You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but to us Americans "football" means only one thing. The real thing! And a "cricket" is something that chirps.

I always said that American lacked culture. Cricket is a great game and is nearly as good as soccer. This murder is a real big story in those countries that play cricket. It is believed that Woolmer was about to expose a match-fixing scandal. It is possible he was murdered by members of the team he coached.

I always said that American lacked culture. . . . It is possible he was murdered by members of the team he coached.

Now that's what I call culture!

Not that a team murdering its coach couldn't happen in America. But it would more likely be the fans. The big sports news in America today (besides the national college basketball tournament) is that head basketball coach Tubby Smith has gotten out of Kentucky while the getting is good to coach at Minnesota, where his life and his family will probably be safer. (Unlike Kentucky fans, the ones in Minnesota are used to losing.)