The Education Forum

Why was Lynn Cheney in the WH bunker...

It has now been revealed (several websites) that Norman Mineta says

that the Vice President's wife was in the secret bunker under the White

House when the 911 attacks began. What was she doing there?

Jack

Hi Jack,

Indeed, the VP's wife was with him at the time, and escourted to the Bunker.

And according to PDS's talk (See: Separate Thread), she actually had the sense to take notes during the proceedings, notes which of course, are beyond being shared, and are sealed for reasons of national security.

Going back to Dr. Strangelove, when the plans were laid out for COG and life in the post-nuke war bunker, they made room for women, to ensure the survival of the human race.

BK

It has now been revealed (several websites) that Norman Mineta says

that the Vice President's wife was in the secret bunker under the White

House when the 911 attacks began. What was she doing there?

Jack

Hi Jack,

Indeed, the VP's wife was with him at the time, and escourted to the Bunker.

And according to PDS's talk (See: Separate Thread), she actually had the sense to take notes during the proceedings, notes which of course, are beyond being shared, and are sealed for reasons of national security.

Going back to Dr. Strangelove, when the plans were laid out for COG and life in the post-nuke war bunker, they made room for women, to ensure the survival of the human race.

BK

Bill...did this indicate PRIOR KNOWLEDGE, or was it "take your wife to work day"?

Jack

http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0509c.asp

The Bush Administration lied when it sent the joint chiefs of staff to board planes with no extra security to show how safe it was to fly. This, of course, was for the airline industry:

"In the wake of the hijacking and crashing of four airliners and the subsequent shutdown of the nation’s airports on 9/11, many Americans were hesitant to return to fly the friendly skies. Speaking on September 27, 2001, at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, President Bush decried the “atmosphere of fear” created by the terrorist attack. He declared that “one of the great goals of this nation’s war is to restore public confidence in the airline industry, to tell the traveling public, get onboard.” He proudly announced, “Tomorrow, nine Cabinet members will board U.S. airlines to fly around the country to do their jobs.” The secretaries’ courage aimed to rally all Americans and prove that there was no need for Americans to “live in fear,” Bush said.

Only five Cabinet secretaries made it to the airport and up and away the next day. Labor Secretary Elaine Chao flew to Louisville, Kentucky, on the morning of September 28. She declared,

'I am flying today to encourage all Americans to get back to work, to visit family, to resume our way of life. We need to all do our part in getting America back to work, and defeating terrorism. Each person who steps onto a plane is sending a message to the world that we will not live in fear.'

Arriving in Louisville, she told reporters that there was no additional security on her flight that morning.

Commerce Secretary Don Evans bragged that morning on CBS’s Early Show,

'I’m also traveling commercial, as you know, sending another signal to Americans all across this country that it’s safe to fly.'

Housing and Urban Development Secretary Mel Martinez arrived at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and announced,

'I’m traveling without bodyguards, just like anyone else would travel.... America is back; flying is safe.'

A few days later, news leaked out that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) had placed armed undercover federal air marshals on each of the Cabinet secretaries’ flights. FAA security director Michael Canavan, a former army lieutenant general, was fired after he balked at placing marshals on the politicians’ flights, since he believed other flights that day were at higher risk of being hijacked. (He was overruled.)

The heroic Cabinet secretaries’ hoax received little or no mention in the vast majority of the American media. There were too many other confidence-building news events to cover in those exciting times. Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta justified the ruse:

'In the case of the Cabinet members flying on commercial airlines, those flights had been previously announced by the president and were highly publicized, potentially raising the threat for every passenger on each of those flights.... Clearly, if air marshals were added to those flights this action would have been taken to ensure the safety of all of the passengers.'

Kathy

Bill...did this indicate PRIOR KNOWLEDGE, or was it "take your wife to work day"?

Jack

I'm no fan of "Lon" Cheney (Lon Chaney is another story) but why would it? Didn't your wife ever drop by your office?

According to the 9/11 report she only got to the WH at 9:52, after the Pentagon had been hit. I imagine the Secret Service wanted to move her to a secure location.

I'm more interested in knowing who the young man was who Mineta said kept telling Cheney how far out the plane was and if "the order still stands." This was before the Pentagon was hit, and the plane they were tracking was obviously Flight 77 headed for the Pentagon, where everyone supposedly remained unaware of the impending attack.

Thanks for the heads up, Mr. Vice President.

I'm more interested in knowing who the young man was who Mineta said kept telling Cheney how far out the plane was and if "the order still stands." This was before the Pentagon was hit, and the plane they were tracking was obviously Flight 77 headed for the Pentagon, where everyone supposedly remained unaware of the impending attack.

Ron, I posted this in another thread, but I'll also repeat it here.

I think that Norman Mineta is simply mistaken about the time he arrived. His testimony said he arrived at 0920 and that he heard the conversation with Cheney about 6 minutes later. The Secret Service logs, however, show Cheney was not evacuated until 0936 and entered the tunnel to the shelter at 0937.

I suspect that what he heard was actually the discussion about UA93:

At 10:02, the communicators in the shelter began receiving reports from the Secret Service of an inbound aircraft —presumably hijacked— heading toward Washington. That aircraft was United 93. The Secret Service was getting this information directly from the FAA. The FAA may have been tracking the progress of United 93 on a display that showed its projected path to Washington, not its actual radar return. Thus, the Secret Service was relying on projections and was not aware the plane was already down in Pennsylvania.(217)

At some time between 10:10 and 10:15, a military aide told the Vice President and others that the aircraft was 80 miles out. Vice President Cheney was asked for authority to engage the aircraft. (218) His reaction was described by Scooter Libby as quick and decisive, “in about the time it takes a batter to decide to swing.” The Vice President authorized fighter aircraft to engage the inbound plane. He told us he based this authorization on his earlier conversation with the President. The military aide returned a few minutes later, probably between 10:12 and 10:18, and said the aircraft was 60 miles out. He again asked for authorization to engage. The Vice President again said yes. (219)

(9/11 Report, page 41)

Edited by Evan Burton

Ron, I posted this in another thread, but I'll also repeat it here.

I think that Norman Mineta is simply mistaken about the time he arrived. His testimony said he arrived at 0920 and that he heard the conversation with Cheney about 6 minutes later. The Secret Service logs, however, show Cheney was not evacuated until 0936 and entered the tunnel to the shelter at 0937.

See my reply in the other thread. I'll believe Mineta and the White House photographer over the story told by the government and its whitewash commission.

Does anyone know if there is a standing procedure that, if the VP is evacuated, SLOTUS is also evacuated? I guessing there is. If she was nearby, she'd be taken to the same evacuation point.