The Education Forum

Man with Rifle

• 4 weeks later...
Kathy.

According to Trask's pictures of the pain the photo was taken by David Miller.

Quote:

Across the street from Millers position was the Corham Art Flower Company at 1645 Stemmons and to the right was S & H Green Stamps Store.

Millers first photo:

According to Trask after this photo was taken, he then quickly jumped in his car and drove to Stemmons where he took his second photo. ( Not sure how he managed that ? )

This first photo seems to have a different frame ratio than the second, it seems taller than the one taken on Stemmons.

It appears to me that the Stemmons photo has been tightly cropped, possibly to highlight the SO CALLED shoe hanging over the limo.

I am suspicious about that second image, i beleive the shoe shape may have been added in at a later date.

Edited by Robin Unger

... the photo was taken by David Miller. Millers first photo:

This first photo seems to have a different frame ratio than the second, it seems taller than the one taken on Stemmons. It appears to me that the Stemmons photo has been tightly cropped, possibly to highlight the SO CALLED shoe hanging over the limo.

There is a slightly different version - different aspect ratio, anyway - here.

I am suspicious about that second image, i beleive the shoe shape may have been added in at a later date.

Is there no such thing as an original, or original copy, of this photo someone can look at through a lupe, maybe scan at very high res and crop to see what's really there or not? Ditto the "man with rifle" image.

I can almost understand why some people might want to add the rifleman artifact, but to what end add the shoe? And by whom?

... According to Trask after this photo was taken, [Miller] then quickly jumped in his car and drove to Stemmons where he took his second photo. (Not sure how he managed that?)

Depends where on Lemmon the image was taken. Here are a couple of possibilities, all in residential areas and prior to the turn onto Turtle Creek. Bear in mind that Miller needn't have parked his car directly on Lemmon and could've taken any of a number of sidestreets to get where he eventually got, in much less time than it took the motorcade to travel through downtown:

The destination location is based on my recollection of where the Corham store was located, approximately opposite where the InfoMart is today, but clearly before the motorcade would've exited Stemmons. I could be off a little since recollection sometimes fails, eh? Google maps (from which these images were taken) estimates the drive to be no more than 5-6 minutes.

Do-able? I'd say "eminently!"

Curious question, tho': I've seen the "Corham" image described as Miller #3; you call the one above his "first" image; what was the second photo he took?

In the Hankins and Newman photo Clint Hill seems to be prone across the back of the Limo with his left arm resting on the door frame:

If you look at the Miller photo it appears to show clint hill standing "INSIDE" the back of the limo ?

Edited by Robin Unger

In the Hankins and Newman photo Clint Hill seems to be prone across the back of the Limo with his left arm resting on the door frame:

If you look at the Miller photo it appears to show clint hill standing "INSIDE" the back of the limo?

Actually, I don't find any real difference between Hankins, Newman and Miller that can't be attributed to perspective: Hill's position is about the same in all photos. There's only a distance of 1.6 miles from the entrance to Stemmons from DP, to the exit at Industrial (now called Market Center) Blvd, about .4 from the Oak Lawn exit to the Industrial/Market Center exit, which is, of course, where the limo would no longer have been on the highway. At "speeds approaching 80 mph," that only puts the limo on the freeway for a minute, minute and a half total; less than a minute from DP to Oak Lawn, and less than that to Industrial.

Here's something from another thread:

Gary Mack was kind enough to share the following information with me ...

"Corham Art Flower Company was at 1645 Stemmons, which puts it just 1/2 block south of Oak Lawn Avenue at Stemmons. Here's the map: http://tinyurl.com/g3dcx [here's the map on Yahoo]

Market Center Boulevard was called Industrial in 1963 and the Trade Mart is at the northeast corner of Industrial and Stemmons, about 1/2 mile away."

This is just a short distance from where I'd remembered the old Corham building being; it's actually just south(bound) from the entrance going from Oak Lawn onto Stemmons southbound.

What's even more interesting is that, based on a 50 mph drive-by observation of the cityscape to the north of the freeway around that location, it appears as if the Hankins photo was taken almost directly across Stemmons from Miller. That is, Miller was taking the photo from the northbound side of the highway looking roughly southwest, while Hankins was taking his from the southbound side looking roughly northeast.

In fact, if anything, I'd say that the signs we see in Hankins are actually the signs over the exit to Oak Lawn - note how there is one sign (to our right) that's over the highway, while the other (our left) is smaller and on the opposite side of the post, the post being on the median, the big sign probably being the "Industrial Blvd - 1/2 Mile" sign, and the smaller one being the "Oak Lawn" sign - meaning that these are probably pretty close to the positions the two occupied using Google Earth:

If that's so, then there are probably less than 10 seconds between the two photos ... and Hill is in the almost-exact same position in Miller as in Hankins.

Edited by Duke Lane

Kathy.

According to Trask's pictures of the pain the photo was taken by David Miller.

Quote:

Across the street from Millers position was the Corham Art Flower Company at 1645 Stemmons and to the right was S & H Green Stamps Store.

Millers first photo:

According to Trask after this photo was taken, he then quickly jumped in his car and drove to Stemmons where he took his second photo. ( Not sure how he managed that ? )

This first photo seems to have a different frame ratio than the second, it seems taller than the one taken on Stemmons.

It appears to me that the Stemmons photo has been tightly cropped, possibly to highlight the SO CALLED shoe hanging over the limo.

Robin...your suspicion is correct. The "shoe" was added by a retouch artist

who did not recognize it as JFK's right hand on the seat back.

Jack

Quote:

Robin,

The December 14, 1963 issue of the Saturday Evening Post has a much better reproduction of the Miller photo

Gary Mack

Robin,

All four are seated in the same positions as on Elm Street:

JFK is on his left side and shoulder with his head in or close to Jackie's lap.

Connally's head rests on Nellie's left shoulder, as she is turned to her right holding him.

That's Hill's foot on the side of the car, as is proven by the Justin Newman photo near the Trade Mart seconds later and by Hill's own account.

Gary Mack

For what it's worth i dont believe it's a gunman on the roof, if anything i have always thought that it may have shown a cop on look out similar to this image.

Edited by Robin Unger