The Education Forum

Number of documents released under JFK act

I'm trying to find documentation on the amount of documents released under the JFK act by the ARRB. I would also be appreciative to anyone who could give me figures for any other major documentary releases, such as the HSCA and other FOIA requests.

I am undertaking a database project for college and I want to use documentary release relating to the JFK case as my model.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can email me at johnpetergeraghty@gmail.com

All the best,

John

Hi John, will try to help, both publicly and privately.

I'm trying to find documentation on the amount of documents released under the JFK act by the ARRB.

The number thrown around the most is 4 million, but I don't know if that is documents or pages. Most documents have more than one page. There might be a more specific number in the Final Report of the ARRB.

I would also be appreciative to anyone who could give me figures for any other major documentary releases,

I think the WWII/Nazi records might exeed JFK Act in numbers, but records released under the JFK Act have been cited in most major contemporary historical works published in the past 15 years, whatever the subject.

such as the HSCA and other FOIA requests.

The HSCA didn't actually release any records, though they might have pryed loose a few, but the HSCA should be looked upon as a major generator of JFK assassination records, like the WC, Church and Rocky Com. It was the sealing of the HSCA records after the issuing of their final report that most offended researchers and exposed the fact that Congress exempted itself from the Freedom of Info Act, and since the HSCA records were Congressional records, they were not available via FOIA. Therefore, the JFK Act was introduced, but instead of releasing just the HSCA records, which would have included the MLK records as well, they expanded the JFK Act to include all government agency records related to the assassination of JFK, but not MLK.

I am undertaking a database project for college and I want to use documentary release relating to the JFK case as my model.

Instead of focusing on the records released, I would suggest that you focus on the records destroyed, missing and still with-held. The FBI releasesd a photo that shows three people standing next to an eight foot high by twenty feet long stacked wall of documents they have released on the JFK Assassination, but they don't say what they've kept secret.

Also, there have been many records with-held by the ARRB that have now been or will soon be released. They will give you examples of what it was exactly they were anxious to keep secret.

And good luck on your new thesis and project,

I'll help you in any way I can.

Also, researchers might be able to tell you about the records they've requested that are still being withheld - or records they might know of that have recently been released.

Bill Kelly

Any help would be appreciated.

You can email me at johnpetergeraghty@gmail.com

All the best,

John

Edited by William Kelly