The Education Forum

Thrift Shops, Used Books, and the Bug!

Hey Gang,

I often browse the old thrift stores here in search of old books on the assassination. In the past I have found several great books on JFK in just this manner. But I have to relate my latest find.

"Reclaiming History" By the bug. There it was on the shelf, near a sign that said "Hardbacks $1.oo" so I figured that was a fair price for this work, and picked it up.

As I approached the clerk I could not help but comment that the book was actually mis located, snickering I made the comment to her that they had the book in the history section when it should be in fiction.

She quickly apologized and offered compensation in the form of a discount. I got the book for 50 cents.

I had actually been joking, but I guess she, as most, couldn't tell I was joking. I thought you guys and gals may get a kick out of the story.

In recent times I have found:

The Day Kennedy was Shot

High Treason 2

John F Kennedy President

Portrait of a President

The Death of a President

Marina and Lee

Four Days

Thrift shops can be hit and miss, but they can be a gold mine for old JFK Books.

Best,

Mike

Mike, I now have a library of thousands of books, mostly purchased from used book stores. Last year, I came across a copy of Arlen Specter's memoir Passion for Truth, autographed and dedicated to the parent's of his co-writer, Charles Robbins. The price was 20 dollars if I remember. Anyhow, when I gave it to the cashier he just scanned the bar code, and it came up as a cut-out for a dollar. I'd bought enough books at the store in the past where I felt I was within my rights to say nothing.

I recently came across a book autographed by Probe Magazine's Jim Di Eugenio. Jim may be glad to know that I sandwiched Specter's book between his book and an autographed copy of Lamar's Ultimate Sacrifice, just to keep Specter's book in line.

Pat,

Thats Great!!

It amazing really what you can find in the way of old books. I even found an old copy of Gray's Anatomy. Unfortunately for me the DVD was not in the Bug's book, but I am sure I will find one sooner or later. I felt so fortunate I thought I may contact the Bug and offer to sell him an autographed copy is the Warren report, autographed by JFK himself, I figured Bugsy would fall for it.

Best,

Mike

I myself have benefited from used books online.I just received "Murder in Dealey Plaza" for around $10.00 (shipping included) And I also found "A Conspiracy of Silence" for a penny. (which I have not received yet)

Amazon Marketplace Receipt

Date: 19-April-2008

Order #: 058-9368990-1734164

1 of J F K: A Conspiracy of Silence (Signet) by Charles A.

Crenshaw; Jens Hansen; J $0.01

Buyer: thedropper@yahoo.com

Seller: help@betterworldbooks.com

Shipping & Handling: $3.99

Your Total: $4.00

Edited by Michael Crane

Those are great deals Mike! Two of my most prized media a copy of SSID, and a copy of the June25th, 1967 CBS Inquiry on DVD, both were given me by board members. SSID came from a longtime friend, and the 25JUN67 report had its first episode air on the day I was born. Other history from June 25, Little Big Horn in 1876, and the beginning of open hostilities in Korea, 1950. No wonder i was destined for the Military!