The Education Forum

DPD in Dealey Plaza & Oak Cliff

Does anyone know of a resource that can provide a list of all of the officers who responded to either or both of the "Signal 19" (shooting) calls in downtown and/or Oak Cliff? I'm not having any luck and if it's already been done, I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel. Many thanks for any leads ....

Does anyone know of a resource that can provide a list of all of the officers who responded to either or both of the "Signal 19" (shooting) calls in downtown and/or Oak Cliff? I'm not having any luck and if it's already been done, I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel. Many thanks for any leads ....

Duke:

I don't think they are listed specifically, but a check of the 1970 Mary Ferrell/Arch Kimbrough transcripts indicates the following were the first to respond to the Signal 19 call to the Tippit shooting in Oak Cliff, between the time of the shooting and 1:34 pm -

69 - Ptlm. A.R. Brock

211 - Ptlm. R. Hawkins

85 - Ptlm. R.W. Walker

105 - Ptlm. J.M. Poe and L.E. Jez

19 - Sgt Owens

91 - Ptlm W.D. Mentzel

279 - Ptlm. J.R. Mackey (or J.T. Griffin)

550 Car 2 - Sgt. Hill

111 - Ptlm. J.G. Pollard

244 - Ptlm. L.D. Wilson

79 - Ptlm. B. Anglin

412 - CID

76 - Ptlm. H. Horn

16 - Sgt. Shipley

77 - Ptlm W.E. Smith

93 Ptlm. H.M. Ashcroft

95 - Ptlm. M.N. McDonald and T.R. Gregory

221 - Ptlm. H.W. Summers

223 - Ptlm C.T. Walker

87 - Ptlm. R.C. Nelson

66 - Ptlm. F. S. Williams

Is this what you are looking for? I could go through the transcripts for the respondees to the Dealey Plaza shooting as well, if you wish, although it may take a few days.

Chris Scally.

Is this what you are looking for? I could go through the transcripts for the respondees to the Dealey Plaza shooting as well, if you wish, although it may take a few days.

It's a start, Chris, and I appreciate the effort!

One of the problems, of course, is that several officers went to either location without indicating that on the radio (Paul Bentley in Oak Cliff, for example, and another whose 3-wheeler broke down and he rode with two others), or only were clear about where they'd gone after the fact (R.C. Nelson at the TSBD, for one).

I was kind of hoping that someone had gone through the transcripts as well as the "after action" reports and testimonies to come up with a list or lists. That could take more than just "a few days!!"

I remember that officer Bob Apple was at the Texas Theater, because he was the boyfriend of the sister of a friend's wife.

Now there's an interesting character, Jack! Can you expound upon that? How about lunch to discuss?

Edited by Duke Lane

Duke,

Based on the Channel 1 transcripts, these are the people I could discern were either directed to go downtown, or volunteered to go. I was surprised to learn that the first call for officers to report downtown wasn't sent out until 12:41. The first three units listed were directed to cut traffic at Stemmons and Inwood between the 12:35 and 12:39 mark.

The dispatcher stopped sending officers downtown right about the time of the Tippit shooting. Then there was a flurry of activity aroung the 2:00 time frame when people were seen in boxcars at the rear of the TSBD.

The officers are listed according to when they appear on the transcripts and are from the Channel 1 transcripts only. I haven't looked at the Channel 2 transcripts. There are also officers calling in and reporting themselves "clear", but I don't know where they were clearing from, so I didn't list them.

Steve Thomas

21 Ptm. D.P. Tucker (and)

C. R. Graham

24 Ptm. D. L Pate

93 Ptm. Holly M. Ashcraft

15, Car 2 Capt. J. M. Souter

101 Ptm. B. L. Bass

43 Ptm. P. R. Wilkins (see 55)

102 Ptm. B. L. Jones (and)

M. D. Noll

233 Ptm. J. T. Fortsen

61 Ptm. C. W. Temple (and)

R. E. Vaughn

77 Ptm. Walter E. Smith

63 unknown

76 Ptm. Henry H. Horn

97 unknown

100 Sgt. W. G. Jennings

113 Ptm. C. L. Osburn

153 Motorcycle Ptm. J. W. Courson

66 Ptm. Frank S. Williams

531 Sgt. G.D. Henslee

77 Ptm. Walter E. Smith

116 Ptm. R. J. Ross

105 Ptm. J. M. Poe (and) L. E. Jez

231 unknown

550, Car 2 Sgt. G. L Hill also shared by R.D. Stringer

174 Ptm. J. W. Brooks

212 Ptm. L. W. Spredlin

223 Ptm. C. T. Walker

40 Sgt. D. F. Flusche

22 Ptm. Leonard L. Hill

87 Ptm. R. C. Nelson

116 Ptm. R. J. Ross

19 Sgt. C. B. Owens

60 Sgt. J. A. Putnam

115 Ptm. G. D. Benningfield

15 Capt. C. E. Talbert

5 Dep. Chief G. L. Lumpkin

252 Ptm. F. T. Chance

79 Ptm. Billy W. Anglin

49 Ptm. C. R. Galbreath

35 Ptm. J. M. Lewis

174 Ptm. J. W. Brooks

263 Ptm. W. C. Brasher

569. DIS: Who's with you?

570. 263: Moore and Murdoch, radio patrolmen.

610. T/O: Traffic Officer to dispatcher.

611. DIS: Go ahead.

612. T/O: I have an eye witness over here that saw the

President get hit.

614. DIS: What radio are you using, traffic officer?

615. T/O: I'm using a three-wheel radio.

312 Det. L D. Montgomery (and)

L. C. Graves (and)

100 Sgt. W. G. Jennings

652. 15: Call two of the canine units back in -- Norman's dog and the

sergeant's dog. Call them back in, if you will.

260 Sgt. D. V. Harkness

508 Crime Lab. W. E. Barnes

492 CID (Carroll and Lyons)

388 CID

305 Det. Landle (and)

Beck (and)

Boyce

386 Ptm. P. R. Peace

309 Det. Blessing (and)

Brown (and)

Dherity (and)

Det. W.W. ('Woody') Tippett, member of the Special Assignement Detail, Traffic Division

(The next two were the dog handlers)

29 Ptm. J. M. Williams

99 Ptm. S. E. Norman

69 Ptm. A. R. Brock

9 Insp. J. H. Sawyer

443 Lt. Wallace (at 2:10 PM he was reported to be at the Sheriff’s office)

607 Ambulance

This is interesting. I hadn’t heard before that an ambulance was called to the county jail at about 2:07 PM

These guys responded to a report of people being seen in the boxcars:

392 CID

241 Ptm. J. P. Hollingsworth

224 Ptm. L. D. Wilson

E.L. Holloway ?

375 unknown

Wow, Steve, that's some work!! Find a place to put this permanently!

I've added some comments/corrections based on my most recent studies, do with as you like.

Based on the Channel 1 transcripts, these are the people I could discern were either directed to go downtown, or volunteered to go. I was surprised to learn that the first call for officers to report downtown wasn't sent out until 12:41. The first three units listed were directed to cut traffic at Stemmons and Inwood between the 12:35 and 12:39 mark. ... There are also officers calling in and reporting themselves "clear", but I don't know where they were clearing from, so I didn't list them.

"Clear" generally means "available for duty," but was sometimes used as an equivalent to "out," meaning "out of service" for any reason.

21 Ptm. D.P. Tucker (and) C. R. Graham

24 Ptm. D. L Pate

93 Ptm. Holly M. Ashcraft

These guys were actually part of what I refer to as the "wild ambulance chase" because there was no ambulance heading to Parkland from Dealey Plaza (the one carrying the epileptic had long since arrived). Dispatchers kept up the pretense until a Sergeant demanded a location, at which point these guys were sent downtown.

550, Car 2 Sgt. G. L Hill also shared by R.D. Stringer

Stringer was assigned call sign 551, but didn't use it that day because for the most part, he was with Capt Westbrook (550).

35 Ptm. J. M. Lewis

Lewis didn't go downtown right away, and it's not even certain that he ever did other than that he said he was going to ... within five minutes of being told to "remain in service" in his patrol district ... which he wasn't even close to!

Part of the problem - by no means intended to disparage this work - is that a lot of officers went there (and to Oak Cliff) without ever saying so on the radio. Just off the top of my head, Jim M. Valentine #104 also went to DP, but did not call in (although 550/2's transmission indicates "550/2 and 104 en route to Elm and Houston, Code 3"), and Capt. Westbrook #550 actually walked to DP so didn't even have a radio to call in on! Of course, Capt. Fritz was also there, but did not radio either his arrival or his departure.

You'd never be able know these things without reading testimonies and reports. Of course, this also doesn't include the officers (see CD81b) who were assigned to DP at the tail end of the motorcade, those who were just a block or two away and may have gone when they heard the shots, or any of the sheriff's deputies who were watching from in front of DCSO at Main and Houston.

For my immediate purposes, it may be sufficient just to note the number who responded to the Signal 19 call, and note the officers assigned to parade duty in DP and the sheriff's deputies ...?

For the sake of adding to the list, this is an initial and incomplete list of the 20+ officers who reported to the Oak Cliff Signal 19, more or less in the order they arrived:

105 - Ptm. J.M. Poe (and) L.E. Jez

19 - Sgt. C.B. Owens

211 - Ptm. Ray Hawkins (and) Baggett

85 - Ptm. R.W. Walker

91 - Ptm. W.D. Mentzel

(85 & 91 were already in Oak Cliff)

75 - Ptm. E.G. Sebastian

76 - Ptm. H.H. Horn

16 - Sgt. R.D. Shipley

77 - Ptm. W.E. Smith

93 - Ptm. H.M. Ashcraft

79 - Ptm. B.N. Anglin

95 - Ptm. M.N. McDonald

221 - Ptm. H.W. Summers

223 - Ptm. C.T. Walker

??? - Ptm. T.A. Hutson

111 - Ptm. J.G. Pollard

22 - Ptm. L.L. Hill

550 - Capt. W.R. Westbrook (and) Sgt. R.D. Stringer (and another unnamed officer)

550/2 - Sgt. G.L. Hill

15 - Capt. C.E. Talbert

In addition, Dets. Lyon and Carroll and Sgt. Paul Bentley were in the area, along with FBI SA Bob Barrett, and R.C. Nelson (87) also arrived there, albeit after Oswald's arrest. Supposedly, R.W. Courson was also there - I've read somewhere he was the first on the scene - and he is listed both as being #153 (on motorcycle) and as a trainee under W.D. Mentzel. Finally(?), according to Sgt. Hill, a patrolman Bob Apple (#243?) was also there.

Capt. Westbrook #550 actually walked to DP so didn't even have a radio to call in on!

Poe and Jez apparently walked there too. At around 12:47 they radioed in:

105: We're going to be out at Jackson and Houston.

Walk up there.

Steve Thomas

Duke,

Duke,

The officers are listed according to when they appear on the transcripts and are from the Channel 1 transcripts only. I haven't looked at the Channel 2 transcripts.

This is what I picked up from the Channel 2 transcripts:

190 Sgt. S.Q. Bellah

142 Ptm Haygood

22 Ptm L.L. Hill

137 Ptm E.D. Brewer

250 Sgt. W.A. Simpso9 Inspector Sawyer

39 Pt. J. Butcher (he drove some SS Agents downtown at 1:09 PM

243 Ptm B.L. Apple

Steve Thomas

Poe and Jez apparently walked there too. At around 12:47 they radioed in:

105: We're going to be out at Jackson and Houston. Walk up there.

True, but that was only two or three blocks. See map here.