The Education Forum

Economics - Human Index

I've ignored nothing in the article. Here people have choices. Choice DEMANDS personal responsibility. It not my job to fix the poor choices of others.

So the damning statistics are due to the fact that Americans make more poor choices than the people of the other nations in the Report?

Do you have an explanation for why Americans are such poor choice makers?

Edited by Mark Stapleton

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ignored nothing in the article. Here people have choices. Choice DEMANDS personal responsibility. It not my job to fix the poor choices of others.

So the damning statistics are due to the fact that Americans make more poor choices than the people of the other nations in the Report?

Do you have an explanation for why Americans are such poor choice makers?

Do YOU understand that the reporting of live births in the USA is very different than most of the rest of the world? In other words the stats are bullsnit. Or are you just being a parrot because of your worldview?

"Do you have an explanation for why Americans are such poor choice makers?"

For many, generations on the governmental dole....who needs to be responsible when someone else can do it for you.

[Do YOU understand that the reporting of live births in the USA is very different than most of the rest of the world? In other words the stats are bullsnit. Or are you just being a parrot because of your worldview?

For many, generations on the governmental dole....who needs to be responsible when someone else can do it for you.

I don't know, Craig.

I THINK you are saying that the statistics are bullxxxx.

But you seem to agree that Americans are appallingly bad choice makers.

Which one are you running with? (not that it makes any difference).

[Do YOU understand that the reporting of live births in the USA is very different than most of the rest of the world? In other words the stats are bullsnit. Or are you just being a parrot because of your worldview?

I don't know, Craig.

Both fit.

The stats are bullsnit

http://www.overpopulation.com/articles/200...fant-mortality/

And there are an alarming number of Americans making really stupid choices on how to live thier lives. Thats how freedom works. There is an amazing system here that provides free or low cost pre-natal care. The problemis not the lack of resources, but the lack of personal responsibility.

The stats are bullsnit

According to the foregoing article (post #1), the report was funded was Oxfam, the Conrad Hilton Foundation and the Rockerfeller Foundation. I assume thier intentions are good and don't see how their interests would be enhanced by painting such a bleak picture. It also reinforces what I've been reading for years about America's wealth and social inequality.

So you respond with a link to a dinky website. I think I know bullsnit when I see it.

Edited by Mark Stapleton

I don't know, Craig.

Both fit.

The stats are bullsnit

And there are an alarming number of Americans making really stupid choices on how to live thier lives. Thats how freedom works. There is an amazing system here that provides free or low cost pre-natal care. The problemis not the lack of resources, but the lack of personal responsibility.

Having extensively researched American foundations pushing the "overpopulation" argument - often for nefarious reasons - I am instinctively suspicious of sites with names such as: overpopulation.com

I've browsed the website but can find no mention of who funds them and who runs the site. I would welcome such information.

I'm not sure nor do I care. I can't find anything that refutes the contention that the IM stats are skewed by the differences of reporting a live birth. I'll be happy to view any data that challenges the claim and adjust my position as required.

Again with the poor choices. You're still playing both sides of the street, you crafty devil.

Fascinating stuff about how freedom works. I'd like to know more about this interesting concept.

p.s. we'll forget the fact that the US prison population exceeds that of other modern countries by a factor of five---that's just poor choices, right?

Again with the poor choices. You're still playing both sides of the street, you crafty devil.

Fascinating stuff about how freedom works. I'd like to know more about this interesting concept.

p.s. we'll forget the fact that the US prison population exceeds that of other modern countries by a factor of five---that's just poor choices, right?

Why not include both, they are both causes. I can't help it you decided to believe something just because it fit your worldview and then it turns out you made a poor choice.

You have a problem with punishing people who made a poor choice and broke the law?

Edited by Craig Lamson

You have a problem with punishing people who made a poor choice and broke the law?

YOU certainly don't.

The big question (that you have yet to satisfactorily answer) remains. Why, WHY are Americans making such poor choices--statistically significant and disturbing--whereas most other western nations are not?

Is it the water?

YOU certainly don't.

The big question (that you have yet to satisfactorily answer) remains. Why, WHY are Americans making such poor choices--statistically significant and disturbing--whereas most other western nations are not?

Is it the water?

Lots of reasons. Partly because so many seem unwilling to take advantage of the opportunity provided and instead look for shortcuts. A perfect example is the huge number of people who fail to even graduate from high school despite the vast resources we pump into the system.

In other words, lack of personal responsibility.

Can you document that other western nations DON'T have a problem with people making poor choices?

Edited by Craig Lamson

Do you really believe this is the main reason for the high US infant mortality rate?

I don't know, but it may play a major part. We'd have to look more into the details of the mortality rate. What are the causes? Are children dying because women cannot get basic medical care? Are the mothers of the infants who are dying themselves sick, such that the child's chance of survival is slim (e.g. drugs, alcohol, AIDS, etc)? Is there some disease which is claiming children's lives?

Without knowing more, we can only speculate as to what might be the cause - major or otherwise.

This proposed nanny-statism should sure help matters in LA: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25896233

I don't need the government to protect me from myself.

You and Craig will not get any argument from me about personal responsibility.

However where is the responsibility of the manufacturers of trans fats (and other toxic products) for the effects of their products on people? While they are free to make it (and make profits from it) and people are free to eat it there are real costs involved in the use of toxic products. Manufacturers have been permitted in our societies to externalize the negative costs and consequences of the use of their products. The public and the planet bare the costs while the manufacturer take the profit. No responsibility taken there.

This proposed nanny-statism should sure help matters in LA: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25896233

I don't need the government to protect me from myself.

You and Craig will not get any argument from me about personal responsibility.

However where is the responsibility of the manufacturers of trans fats (and other toxic products) for the effects of their products on people? While they are free to make it (and make profits from it) and people are free to eat it there are real costs involved in the use of toxic products. Manufacturers have been permitted in our societies to externalize the negative costs and consequences of the use of their products. The public and the planet bare the costs while the manufacturer take the profit. No responsibility taken there.

Manufacturers get whacked all the time for making bad stuff. They are sure not perfect and they need their feet held firmly in the fire from time to time. Ther are rules in place and they need to abide just like everyone else. There are systems in place to deal whese sorts of thing. The best one is the power of the wallet. Its your money and your choice on how most of it gets spent. Choose wisely and blame no one but yourself.

Manufacturers get whacked all the time for making bad stuff. They are sure not perfect and they need their feet held firmly in the fire from time to time. Ther are rules in place and they need to abide just like everyone else. There are systems in place to deal whese sorts of thing. The best one is the power of the wallet. Its your money and your choice on how most of it gets spent. Choose wisely and blame no one but yourself.

All NeoCons are against government interference until they get into trouble themselves. Angelo Mozilo, the chief executive officer of Countrywide, America’s biggest mortgage lender, took home $120 million in 2006. Even so, he complained about the government “over-regulating the industry”.

On 10th August 2007, Mozilo had changed his tune when he called for government help because demand for its home loans had evaporated. He argued that the monetary authorities should step in with unlimited quantities of financial assistance.