The Education Forum

Oswald's Marine Ring

Duke Lane

... Oswald is said to also have his brother Robert's USMC manual, which he reportedly memorized before enlisting.
Memorizing the USMC manual as well as enlisting in the USMC, are of course actions which can be considered typical undertakings of communists/marxists..... :D
Let us not forget our Marxist was also arrested wearing his Marine Corp Ring.
The exchange above raises a curious question.

Much ado is made over the fact that Lee Oswald left his wedding band behind at Ruth Paine's house on the morning of November 22. When he was in custody entering DPD HQ, he was photographed with his hands in raised fists; on his left third finger is his USMC ring, in place of where the vast majority of American men (and women) wear their wedding bands.

Did Oswald normally wear his Corps ring, or did he replace his wedding band with it that morning? Some Marines (a relative few) wear their Corps rings on the same finger as their wedding bands, which looks uncomfortable to me but nevertheless happens. Was that his usual custom and he simply removed the additional ring in the morning?

If the latter, removing one's wedding band has the same significance - whatever it might be - one way or the other; but to have replaced the wedding band with his Corps ring may signify something entirely different.

Do any earlier photos of him (e.g., arrest photo from New Orleans?) show his left hand and what ring(s) he wore on it?

Duke, I believe he is wearing the ring in the backyard photos. Strangely, one of his hands in the first photo taken, 133-C, is blurry. This makes me suspect that the body double in the photo left his own ring on, and that that wouldn't do. Thus, the photo's "disappearance". Just a hunch. But it explains two facts otherwise unexplained (the blurry hand and the photo's disappearance).

Duke, I believe he is wearing the ring in the backyard photos. Strangely, one of his hands in the first photo taken, 133-C, is blurry. This makes me suspect that the body double in the photo left his own ring on, and that that wouldn't do. Thus, the photo's "disappearance". Just a hunch. But it explains two facts otherwise unexplained (the blurry hand and the photo's disappearance).

bump

bump

Oswald may not have had a dilemma, as in Russia the custom is to wear the wedding ring on the right ring finger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_finger

I will look through some photos and see what I can find about Oswald observing this Russian custom.

Mike