The Education Forum

Count the McCain LIES - 54 and counting

David G. Healy

• 2 weeks later...

American's are no doubt familiar with the term "backwards countries." It is, of course a term used derisively when referencing what were once called Third World nations, dictatorships and banana republics. Watching and listening to John McCain and the right wing talking heads lately, has convinced me that The United States regrettably, is also a member of the backwards countries list, at least during Presidential Election Years. From the "I don't think Barrack Obama understands the difference between a tactic and a strategy," comments during last weeks debate, to Nancy Pelosi being blamed for the House of Representatives bailout vote failure, the news media seems more and more like a trailer from the movie Idiocracy. Someone explain to me how 133 House Republicans were swayed into not supporting the bill because of comments by Ms Pelosi.

The only glimmer of good news was that polls of non-committed voters revealed that they felt Obama had won the debate, by a significant plurality; notwithstanding the pronouncements of Patrick Buchanan who declared McCain the winner. But what would one expect from Tricky Dick's old speechwriter.......

There has been a lot of commentary in the media over the last year or so, lamenting the fact that the 17-24 demographic in the United States doesent watch mainstream news programming, sometimes opting for The Daily Show hosted by Jon Stewart or The Coubert Report, hosted by Stephen Coubert.

I, for one totally understand why that is so, to the point where I try to balance Television news viewing between 1/3 Greta Van Suestren, another third via NPR and then Stewart and Coubert. It is not a optional decision for me, with the right wing venom spewing out of the rest of the media, its about the only way to keep sane....