The Education Forum

Is altruism a dirty word, now?

Guest Stephen Turner

Guest Stephen Turner
I've had arguments on other sites about altruism.

It seems to me, that thanks to Thatcher and Reagan, people don't seem to understand it at all. They deny it exists.

Was Kennedy altruistic? Can anyone give examples of how he demonstrated it, apart from the fact he was ill and didn't claim his presidential salary?

His actions in saving several crew members from his striken PT boat in August 1943 were pretty altruistic. in fact damn right brave.

Guest Stephen Turner
Thanks, Stephen, you've restored a bit of my faith in humanity.

I would say that's why we're all here on this board, I think.

We owe him it.

Apart from the fact it's bad if a President gets shot.

I often think its a good job you didn't have "PT boat veterans for the truth" back in 1960, or old Tricky would have got the keys to the Whitehouse eight years early.

I often think its a good job you didn't have "PT boat veterans for the truth" back in 1960, or old Tricky would have got the keys to the Whitehouse eight years early.

:lol:It is not stopping McCain trying to blame Barack Obama for Bill Ayers actions in the 1960s.

Which leads back to the critical issue as the election slides into the waning weeks.....The X Factor in the election is the undecided vote, especially in light of current developments. Saturday night on a CNN Ticker, mention was made of someone linked to ACORN whispering to federal investigators....the next words I saw on the ticker were "October Suprise."

Regarding Surprises.....the Democratic Party has been on the recieving end of quite a few of those in Presidential Election Years, and not just the October variety.......

There was Nixon's Secret Plan to End the Vietnam War, which turned out to be a figment of the imagination

There was Muskie's emotional outburst, [rumored to have been LSD, administered courtesy of one of the Plumbers,] which probably spared Muskie the sacrificial lamb role that George McGovern played in '72 to Nixon.

The spectre of Watergate, the Castro murder plots publicly reported as a result of the Church Committee's investigation, sparked the wave of indignation, that resulted in the introduction of Jimmy Carter, and the real October Suprise, which not surprisingly, is as removed from mass media acknowledge as a true event," as the concept of the city shining on a hill is in today's political environment....

Ronald W. Reagan, the 21st Century's version of George Washington, was sworn in the day the hostages were released, which, in light of "what really happened" only added to the discordia that is todays American political nightmare....

The Monica Lewinsky affair well known to any red-blooded Republican, is well remembered with the exception that the person who was right in the middle of the story worked for Army Intelligence.....which has led some to wonder if the Republican National Committee has a pipeline into America's national security apparatus.

Then there is H. Ross Perot, excluding his self destructive penchant with the well known NAACP gaffe regarding "you people," and Admiral Stockdalev was his seemingly sincere promise to drive the PAC's and special interests out of Washington, the next thing you know he is expounding to the media about the Republican Dirty Tricks Committee threatening to "crash" his daughters wedding with women who love women, or some such talk and a Cuban "hit-team" sent to assassinate him. as they say "Stick a fork in him, he's done."

2000 See Vincent Bugliosi - The Betrayal of America

2004 Rampant voter irregularities which result in the sentencing to prison of Republican politicians and "controversies" in electoral vote rich, Ohio with Diebold, Inc.

And now Obama.....With approximately three weeks to go, until Nov. 4 and a lead estimated in the polls to be anywhere from 4 to 11%, the ACORN controversy, stands to succeed where the Ayers story probably hasn't....Yet ACORN ostensibly is committed to helping Barrack Obama win it all....

What's wrong with this picture?.....

Well for one thing, why is nary a word said on the networks about the Republican Party's sleaze politics in election years, especially of the variety mentioned above......

Answer: If you were part of the media's mega-corporate structure, would you want a Democrat to become President? And that's the big picture folks, the kind that ordinary American's are well aware of but seemingly powerless to change.

It is not stopping McCain trying to blame Barack Obama for Bill Ayers actions in the 1960s.

McCain has secretly approached Ayers about blowing up the electoral college.